Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you could work and travel most of the year, would you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 04:06
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Exactly. Apr 4, 2017

Kuochoe Nikoi wrote:

Travel, yes. Work, no. Why go through the tremendous hassle of getting a visa, tickets and accommodation just to do the same things you do anyway at home? What's the point of leaving the familiar if you're just going to hack away at your laptop regardless? A big no from me.

Up to the point, my opinion exactly.

What's the point of traveling with your head stuck to your laptop all the time or most of the time? That's not traveling in my book.

I can remember my teacher from high school, after each summer break she would ask "Now, let's hear, where were you traveling this summer and what places did you visit?". Her message was: do no travel like a bag of potatoes, travel like a human being. Basically, if you put a bag of potatoes on a plane, it can travel say from Portugal to Japan, but it won't feel or experience anything during that trip ie. things happening around it.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:06
French to English
No Apr 4, 2017

I hate travelling.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:06
German to English
+ ...
yes Apr 4, 2017

The idea is to work during normal working hours and use the evenings and weekends to explore. I've done it many times and would do it again. In fact, I'm doing for almost three weeks from Thursday, admittedly to my home country this time.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do! Apr 4, 2017

Well, "most of the year" means, to me me, about four monts!
I enjoyed translating at home when my kids were at school: I was a happy mummy able to be near them while they were growing up! I was happy because I didn't need to go from my office to home, and to find some one to look after my kids when I and my husband were working outside home. Now they are all grown up, and I can travel with my laptop, and work everywhere. I only need a good wifi connection, and my laptop.
Last year I
... See more
Well, "most of the year" means, to me me, about four monts!
I enjoyed translating at home when my kids were at school: I was a happy mummy able to be near them while they were growing up! I was happy because I didn't need to go from my office to home, and to find some one to look after my kids when I and my husband were working outside home. Now they are all grown up, and I can travel with my laptop, and work everywhere. I only need a good wifi connection, and my laptop.
Last year I spent one week in Nice, one month in Corsica, one month in Sardinia, two weeks in Sicily, three more weeks in some cities of Italy, and Austria, and a week in Istanbul. Later, I also went to Mexico City, Los Ángeles (California), and to a nice beach in Brazil.
This year I've already have a ticket to Turkey, and Austria. I'm also planning to travel by train around the US.
I also travel around my country, Argentina. There are some many beautiful places!

But of course, I need to be very careful with the money spent: hotels are quite expensive,thus -if possible- I rent flats for 30 days, which are cheaper, or choose the cheapest hotels, those far from the touristic areas. It was great working at a Bosa (Sardinia) terrace, translating watching the landscape, lovely rolling hills, a river, listening to bleating sheeps! Or being in Bonifacio, surrounded by those white lime rocks, a deep blue sea...

IMG_2974

I think that being a freelance translator is great! It's quite a flexible job (except when it comes to deliver a translation!) I enjoy travelling and I would like my husband to come with me. He can't as he works at an office.

Kind regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2017-04-04 20:17 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:06
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm not sure I understood the question Apr 6, 2017

But, traveling and working are two opposing things. It's either one or the other. So, yes, I would travel more if I could, but whenever I travel, I don't want to take my laptop with me, perhaps not even my cell phone. If I could do it that way, then yes.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you could work and travel most of the year, would you?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »