Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What do you do when you receive a poor quality source text (e.g. grammar issues)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Laura Bissio CT
Laura Bissio CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Mar 15, 2017

Samantha Payn wrote:

I am astonished that the response "Produce a good translation, figuring out the problematic parts and raising any issues politely with the client" was not listed as one of the answers.

I read the options twice, because I couldn't believe this answer was not an option.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:30
French to English
+ ...
Other Mar 15, 2017

Do my best to turn garbage into gold. No need to inform the customer.
Nobody cares or wants to know.

Sandra

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:30
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
It depends Mar 15, 2017

who the client is.
If it is a regular client I explain the problem and they usually suggest what to do.
If it is a new client I turn it down.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
More often the case than I dare to imagine! Mar 15, 2017

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

Do my best to turn garbage into gold. No need to inform the customer.
Nobody cares or wants to know.

Sandra

Like!

Nohkyung Park
Nohkyung Park  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 08:30
English to Korean
Other Mar 15, 2017

I bet that there is an answer to what the source creator (writer) did miss or misunderstood. So, I do my best and struggle to find out the one and only correct translation by all means. Then, I never let it slip away and inform the PIC of it. However, if the proposed work is full of poor source strings, I simply reject the task because it costs a lot of time to have the tangled and twisted straight.

[Edited at 2017-03-15 13:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-03-15 13:15 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too, but I'm beginning to have my doubts... Mar 15, 2017

Samantha Payn wrote:

I am astonished that the response "Produce a good translation, figuring out the problematic parts and raising any issues politely with the client" was not listed as one of the answers.

TWICE in the last week, I have had clients come back and question translations where this was the policy.

One was not mine, and the original translator had IMHO done a faithful job of writing good English from a mix of technical jargon and plain sloppy writing. The text was a series of informative articles intended for non-experts. The meaning was clear enough, however.
The other translation was my own, and the client asked for a flowing translation, not necessarily word for word. It came back painted red and full of Danish syntax copied from the source... I have just spent the morning fuming and explaining why I prefer my version. I had better not comment here, or the moderator will have to remove my post...

Everyone can English, so why ask Brits like me to mess up the client's lingua franca?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:30
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Exactly! Mar 15, 2017

Samantha Payn wrote:

This is the answer you'd expect from a professional tanslator.
Chinglish has become part of our routine long ago. We must be able to deal with it, and this is how you do it.

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Standardising the management approach Mar 17, 2017

Samantha Payn wrote:

So often do I stumble on obscure or ambiguous text that I have devised a standard queries table as a Word template, which I complete with the job and client details. I list and send the queries ahead of the deadline so that the client has time to answer, if a direct client or, if an agency, can secure a timely answer from the end client. On a long job, I send queries in batches, with chapter-and-verse references, source text and recommended or conjectured target renderings, to guide the answerer. Unsolved queries are delivered with the job, and my follow-up is part of the package, provided the volume of work it entails is not unreasonable.

Obviously, the sheer inanity of some mistakes may be thoroughly irritating; even so, one has to keep a polite, neutral tone, because this is the best way to elicit coherent and constructive answers. Translators have an implicit role as standard-setters, and their efforts to clarify the meaning may provoke thought, especially if the information flow is positive in mood.

With kind regards.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do when you receive a poor quality source text (e.g. grammar issues)?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »