Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: When an assignment bores you, you suddenly find yourself yearning for:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 02:45
SITE STAFF
Feb 28, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "When an assignment bores you, you suddenly find yourself yearning for:".

This poll was originally submitted by Nina Khmielnitzky. View the poll results »

Lindsay Spratt  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:45
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
. Feb 28, 2017

travel!

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
I don't get bored Feb 28, 2017

Even when a project is not exactly exciting, I don't get bored. Instead I double my efforts in order to get it done, but I will still take a couple of minutes to look up and enjoy the view from my window. That's almost like a mini vacation. But this seldom happens because I normally only accept exciting projects anyway.

[Edited at 2017-02-28 08:20 GMT]

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Cake. Wine. Sex. Danger. Not necessarily simultaneously. Feb 28, 2017

Cake. Wine. Sex. Danger. Not necessarily simultaneously.

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Other Feb 28, 2017

Travel... or a different job.
(Job = my own café or cosmetics company. Or both. I've certainly got enough ideas for both but, alas, I lack the necessary funds.)

[Edited at 2017-02-28 08:29 GMT]

Florian AUDRAIN  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Turn-Based Strategy games Feb 28, 2017

Such as Civilization.
It actually helps me focus: you want to play another turn? Well, finish this sentence/paragraph/chapter first!

EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Any of these and more Feb 28, 2017

depending on the situation - except Netflix, I don't know what it is.

Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:45
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 28, 2017

If I have another job in my inbox, I switch. That pays off nicely.

Otherwise I'll do a variety of things, ranging from my to-do list to a walk in the park. If it's raining, like today, I may watch my favorite political commentators on the Internet--of course they have to agree with me, or I wouldn't waste my time.

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 10:45
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 28, 2017

I always have a good look at the text before accepting an assignment so that I know what to expect. Anyway, the fact is that work doesn't bore me, lack of work might…

Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:45
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I don't really get bored Feb 28, 2017

I might take breaks for other reasons and listen to some music or watch a film. An episode of Game of Thrones is quite, er, stimulating.
I find fiddling around in the garden and looking at the greenery in the neighborhood very relaxing, too.

Giuliana Mafrica  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other - a walk Feb 28, 2017

A pleasant, healthy walk with my dogs, preferably in the woods, to clear my mind.

Martina.V
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
other - a walk, coffee with friends Feb 28, 2017

a walk, along the shore, or in the woods, alone or with my boyfriend or with my friend's dog...

or a coffee and a chat with friends...

[Edited at 2017-02-28 10:44 GMT]

Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
Social Media / My "other" job-hobby Feb 28, 2017

Since I do get bored ever so often, I started learning about essential oils and natural health, and that developed into blogging / youtubing / instagramming and teaching free classes about essential oils. And that is something I'm quite passionate about.

So when I have a translation to do, I apply some of my oils for better focus and concentration to help me get it done, but as soon as it's over I head over to what I am more passionate about.

Perhaps after 17 years as
... See more
Since I do get bored ever so often, I started learning about essential oils and natural health, and that developed into blogging / youtubing / instagramming and teaching free classes about essential oils. And that is something I'm quite passionate about.

So when I have a translation to do, I apply some of my oils for better focus and concentration to help me get it done, but as soon as it's over I head over to what I am more passionate about.

Perhaps after 17 years as a freelance translator it's natural that I want to have an impact on the world some other way than translating other people's words... I find it much more satisfactory to hear the reports of people recovering from smaller or bigger health and emotional issues than to translate a given text, no matter how charming it might be!
Collapse

Nicola Wood  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
German to English
Other Feb 28, 2017

Any of the options depending upon the day/weather/what needs doing/who else is at home, except Netflix, which is for evenings only

On the whole I really enjoy my work and I am pretty disciplined, but occasionally a document is so familiar or presents so little challenge that after a while I find my mind wandering and then it usually pays to take a break.

from-to  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:45
Member (2014)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I make plans for travels Feb 28, 2017

Lindsay Spratt wrote:

travel!

Moreover, I start browsing websites with great travelling destinations, hotels, B&B, etc. Then I have a motivation to work; I say to myself "ok, this is horrible but with the money earned, I will travel there"

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When an assignment bores you, you suddenly find yourself yearning for:

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search