Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: When did you start working with your latest new client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
more than a couple of years Feb 23, 2017

Since I met a first direct client with a long-term business proposal.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 08:45
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
A couple of weeks ago Feb 23, 2017

Pretty much every month I'll have someone who needs a one-off translation in a combination they usually don't do much of. This time it was an agency from Oslo that may turn into a repeat gig.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:45
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In the last month Feb 23, 2017

However, I am finding that Proz has become a great resource for clients looking for low rates.

And in the language combinations I offer, there are a lot, I mean, a lot, of translators offering as standard rates (i.e., without even discussing/trying to get a fair price since their rates are published on their Proz profile) rates that are in many cases half of the rates I advertise on my profile.

So, although I am getting new clients through Proz, the better ones (those
... See more
However, I am finding that Proz has become a great resource for clients looking for low rates.

And in the language combinations I offer, there are a lot, I mean, a lot, of translators offering as standard rates (i.e., without even discussing/trying to get a fair price since their rates are published on their Proz profile) rates that are in many cases half of the rates I advertise on my profile.

So, although I am getting new clients through Proz, the better ones (those that are willing to pay more) are coming from other sources (word of mouth, translator certification associations, etc.).

Although this subject (rates) is often discussed in the Proz Poll, it would be interesting to know if Proz members are feeling the same way I do, ie, that Proz is in some way helping rates come down...
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:45
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Last month Feb 24, 2017

With ProZ, I get new clients practically every month. Some disappear, some come back, some become regular clients. I still wasn't able to have only clients in Europe and North America, which is my goal. Once I have that, I might stop worrying about making points in KudoZ and getting new clients. right now, I'm about 25-30% away from that goal.

@ Hege, it looks like our bad-humored colleague realized he was the rotten apple. Once in a lifetime, never again, hopefully.

@
... See more
With ProZ, I get new clients practically every month. Some disappear, some come back, some become regular clients. I still wasn't able to have only clients in Europe and North America, which is my goal. Once I have that, I might stop worrying about making points in KudoZ and getting new clients. right now, I'm about 25-30% away from that goal.

@ Hege, it looks like our bad-humored colleague realized he was the rotten apple. Once in a lifetime, never again, hopefully.

@ Ana, my rates are just a bit lower than yours, and I get plenty of clients from ProZ paying the rates I require with no discounts for repetitions or "pechincha".

[Edited at 2017-02-24 04:10 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:45
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
2 weeks ago Feb 24, 2017

And it started out with a big project which I completed just yesterday. More projects are coming.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When did you start working with your latest new client?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »