Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think using 2 screens helps your productivity?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Marta Cervera Areny
Marta Cervera Areny
Spain
Local time: 23:20
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
I would like three Feb 15, 2017

Mike Sadler wrote:

I have three, in portrait so that I can see a full page of A4 at larger than original size. Original on the left, target or CAT tool in the middle, internet and email on the right. It's paid for itself over and over again.

I'm working with two right now, but I'd really like to try with three. I never thought about putting them in portrait, that's a really good idea!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Several graphic cards Feb 15, 2017

Alcime Steiger wrote:

This idea already came to my mind several times, just as said above : my favorite CAT tool / target text on the left one, and reference / web search pages on the right one!

But I never figured out how such a hardware arrangement is possible!...

May our dear translation fellows who use several screens tell us more about it technically speaking?

That is the solution, plus configure your hardware accordingly.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other! Feb 15, 2017

I'm feeling a little inadequate here as I only have one screen.

Which is better than none, I guess.

But the thought of you all playing frantic forex trader during tea breaks without me makes me sad.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Feb 15, 2017

Alcime Steiger wrote:

May our dear translation fellows who use several screens tell us more about it technically speaking?

I have a relatively recent iMac. I just plug the external monitors into the ports in the back, that's all...

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Absolutely Feb 15, 2017

As a professional translator I couldn't do without two.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find space for a third, but maybe some day.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 21:20
Japanese to English
Plug and play Feb 15, 2017

Jan Truper wrote:
I have a relatively recent iMac. I just plug the external monitors into the ports in the back, that's all...

Same here. My new desktop has ports for several monitors on the back. I had to buy DVI-HDMI cables and configure the Display settings on Windows a bit, but the whole process took less than 10 minutes from start to finish.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Feb 15, 2017

IMHO, the number of displays is not as important as the resolution of the displays (number of pixels at your disposal). One 4k monitor is as large as four full HD monitors, one full HD monitor is as large as two HD monitors, so one 4k monitor is as large (pixel-wise) as eight HD monitors.

I've used 1, 2 & 3 monitor setups, but recently, after one of my monitors died, I decided to buy a 4k monitor. I have not ever used the other two monitors for my work since. So I am once more only
... See more
IMHO, the number of displays is not as important as the resolution of the displays (number of pixels at your disposal). One 4k monitor is as large as four full HD monitors, one full HD monitor is as large as two HD monitors, so one 4k monitor is as large (pixel-wise) as eight HD monitors.

I've used 1, 2 & 3 monitor setups, but recently, after one of my monitors died, I decided to buy a 4k monitor. I have not ever used the other two monitors for my work since. So I am once more only using one screen. And it is more convenient since I have to move my head less.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:20
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Superwide Screen as an alternative Feb 15, 2017

It sure does. However, I changed from two screens to a superwide screen, and I figure it's a lot better, with less cables, less configs, less space taken, etc., providing the exact same benefits. So I my answer was "It depends" because it's certainly a "Yes", yet with this (better) alternative, IMO.

[Edited at 2017-02-15 20:28 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, but... Feb 15, 2017

Michael Harris wrote:

Alcime Steiger wrote:

This idea already came to my mind several times, just as said above : my favorite CAT tool / target text on the left one, and reference / web search pages on the right one!

That is the solution, plus configure your hardware accordingly.

Actually, the current technology allows you to use practically any TV set as your PC screen. So you can even install a 40" TV as your screen with a single graphics card. A lot less trouble, with a single cable, automatic config, and less space. When my screen burnt last year, I used a 33" TV set until I bought a new one, and it worked perfectly. No need to have multiple screens and cards, really.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
While you're young, Jaime :) Feb 15, 2017

Jaime Oriard wrote:

I've used 1, 2 & 3 monitor setups, but recently, after one of my monitors died, I decided to buy a 4k monitor. I have not ever used the other two monitors for my work since. So I am once more only using one screen. And it is more convenient since I have to move my head less.

Smaller surface with more pixels means you need better eyesight and concentration. Although my eyesight at a typical monitor distance is (still) at 100%, I prefer to set my font really huge to strain my eyes less and spot mistakes more easily (typical German mistakes are in the last 1-2 letters of each word, where the inflections go, and I like them to jump out at me). So I'd rather have more actual space with fewer pixels than vice versa.

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Zooming in is not a problem Feb 15, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:

Smaller surface with more pixels means you need better eyesight and concentration. Although my eyesight at a typical monitor distance is (still) at 100%, I prefer to set my font really huge to strain my eyes less and spot mistakes more easily (typical German mistakes are in the last 1-2 letters of each word, where the inflections go, and I like them to jump out at me). So I'd rather have more actual space with fewer pixels than vice versa.

I totally get you! And I normally zoom the text of all my windows, sometimes up to 250%, like in Word, or up to 36pts (300%+ for a regular size 10 font) for working in Trados. (I've had bad eye-sight all my life.) However, this allows me to zoom only the text I want to focus on, not everything else. So I get to have a lot of windows with small buttons, controls, ribbons...(which I almost never use since I prefer my shortcut keys), and have more space for the text I need to read. Also, I have special style-sheets for common websites to make them easier to read (like forcing them to use light text on dark backgrounds, easier to read typefaces, larger fonts...) Also, my monitor is 31", so it is not small (it's like having four 15" laptop monitors, actual physical size.)

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Big TV, yeah! Feb 16, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:

Smaller surface with more pixels means you need better eyesight and concentration. Although my eyesight at a typical monitor distance is (still) at 100%, I prefer to set my font really huge to strain my eyes less and spot mistakes more easily...

Again, one big screen would be a better solution then two or three regular ones. How about a 33" TV instead of your regular monitor?

[Edited at 2017-02-16 19:30 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think using 2 screens helps your productivity?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »