Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you ever asked another ProZ.com user on a date?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:48
English to German
+ ...
No but I would if I weren't married :) Feb 13, 2017

Chris S wrote:

I think the last time I asked someone on a date was in 1989...

For me, ProZ is about light relief, not a source of work (I don't get out of bed for ProZ outsourcer rates, darling), and pretty much everything that can be said about translation has already been said.

So in many ways it's just about chatting, venting, sharing a joke and, best of all, people watching.

I find it fascinating. It's not like Facebook where you get to see and learn everything about some people and their lives, which can get a bit tedious. Here you only get a few tantalising glimpses. A single tiny photo. The occasional personal revelation. The odd crack in that pervasive mask of competitive professionalism.

But it's still enough to feel quite strongly about some people. Some I feel drawn to, personally or professionally, maybe even sexually. Some are funny, some are good-looking, some are just nice.

Others I really can't stand. Some are unbelievably boring, some are insufferably pompous, some are tiresomely combative.

It's just like the real world, only you can turn it off.

And, of course, you can be who you want to be. We're all wordsmiths, so we can easily create whole new digital personae should we feel so inclined. Hard to sustain, I suspect, but fun to experiment with (I'm very different in real life).

Not entirely sure where I'm going here, but I would love the ProZ community in general to be a little bolder, to reveal a little more, to be a bit outrageous or provocative. Safe, boring answers don't do it for me.

But if ever I have a need for translation into various obscure language pairs, I do now know who to call.

And if ever I suddenly find myself single and lonely, I might conceivably approach a certain chain-smoking accident-prone individual of this parish...

I haven't but I'm a silent avid fan of Chris, so I basically might, if I weren't married

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Feb 13, 2017

I dated a lot when I was younger, though I've never asked a guy on a date and probably never will. Anyway

Happy_Valentines_Day

[Edited at 2017-02-13 11:17 GMT]

Laura Pascual
Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:48
Finnish to Spanish
+ ...
Seriously? Feb 13, 2017

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

I once saw on the Translator's Feature a very interesting guy, an Englishman who lived in China.

I wrote to him to tell him he seemed to me very charming, but he never wrote back.

On the other hand I have been approached by a couple or three guys with the same intentions.

N.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 08:35 GMT]

Well, writing to someone with whom you've never even talked, through a professional page, to tell him he looks charming? That's quite an inappropriate behaviour in my opinion.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@loadsapeeps Feb 13, 2017

Michael Harris wrote:

Come on Chris, how did you manage to get that one through, and where is "Other"?

I don't do other. It's either black or white with me. Grey is just so dull.

Jo Macdonald wrote:

I wrote a comic short a while ago called "I got the hots 4 your icon" about pretty much the same thing. It's on my personal page (last one) if anyone wants to read it. It's not about Proz, but interacting with people online in general.

I demand a sequel with a happier ending!

cloudhunter wrote:

I haven't but I'm a silent avid fan of Chris, so I basically might, if I weren't married

Easy, now, tiger.

Teresa Borges wrote:

Happy_Valentines_Day

[Edited at 2017-02-13 11:17 GMT]

And you too. Though I have to say my grammatical OCD is really struggling with that missing apostrophe...

Laura Pascual wrote:

Well, writing to someone with whom you've never even talked, through a professional page, to tell him he looks charming? That's quite an inappropriate behaviour in my opinion.

OK, this isn't Tinder, so naked selfies might be a tad OTT, but you have to start somewhere if you want to find a (soul)mate - and in some ways isn't this the perfect place?

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No, and I wouldn't dream of it Feb 13, 2017

I prefer my life as a lone she-wolf, thank you.
And the mere idea of dating a translator is off-putting. Imagine discussing low rates, slow-paying agencies etc. all night long. Not exactly very sexy...

Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
get a laptop Feb 13, 2017

(I don't get out of bed for ProZ outsourcer rates, darling)

Don't worry, the internet is here. You can translate without ever getting out of bed!

(I mean, if you haven't got someone else in it. Or maybe even if you have... )

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Feb 13, 2017

Admittedly, there are a few colleagues here who seem to be nice and have a good sense of humor. But asking for a date? Next question, please.

On second thought, it might be interesting to go out to dinner with someone, let's say, from western Australia. We'd really have to coordinate our flight schedules in order to meet somewhere in the middle, maybe in India, then find a nice restaurant and... be home again the sa
... See more
Admittedly, there are a few colleagues here who seem to be nice and have a good sense of humor. But asking for a date? Next question, please.

On second thought, it might be interesting to go out to dinner with someone, let's say, from western Australia. We'd really have to coordinate our flight schedules in order to meet somewhere in the middle, maybe in India, then find a nice restaurant and... be home again the same evening/night. Sounds a little stressful to me. So I guess I'll pass.

@ Julian

How do you send real, solid flowers, chocolate & Co. into a virtual mailbox?
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:48
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
One can always dream Feb 13, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

@ Julian

Scotty, move out of warp speed and beam me down some daffs and a pint of Newkie Brown!

I'm so romantic, aren't I?

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:48
Russian to English
No, but if I did... Feb 13, 2017

...it would go something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_-vsHvPBE

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Terrible dates, Ilan Feb 13, 2017

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

...it would go something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y_-vsHvPBE

They didn't even discuss CAT tools and rates!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:48
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Feb 13, 2017

I don't know anyone from ProZ personally. If I did, I see nothing wrong with it, though.

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Actually Feb 13, 2017

Come to think of it I did ask a girl out I met at a powow.
She was beautiful and translating the life works of Nietsche.
I was impressed and totally out of my depth.
Got shot down in flames before I'd even finished taxying.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
some said yes, do share your stories! Feb 13, 2017

2.3% out of some 815 Said Yes! Wow, that's incredibly high,
will anyone share the story? Love to hear some from you!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Hmmm Feb 13, 2017

Julian Holmes wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

@ Julian

Scotty, move out of warp speed and beam me down some daffs and a pint of Newkie Brown!

I'm so romantic, aren't I?

Good idea. Romantic? In any case, you're equipped with a good sense of humor.

Happy Valentine's Day, Julian - since it's already the 14th on your side of earth.

Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 02:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Happy Valentine's day you all.... Feb 13, 2017

There are many friendships that develop through proz, usually with people you never meet, but you get to "know them" and you care for them. They become part of your "Translation Village" or "Work Village", of why not "Life Village" (if there is such a term)

Many Proz friendships, I have noticed, have migrated (in my case) from Proz to Facebook, and it is soooooooo nice to see colleagues kids grow up, etc.

So, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY YOU ALL, lotZ of love form a Bolivian
... See more
There are many friendships that develop through proz, usually with people you never meet, but you get to "know them" and you care for them. They become part of your "Translation Village" or "Work Village", of why not "Life Village" (if there is such a term)

Many Proz friendships, I have noticed, have migrated (in my case) from Proz to Facebook, and it is soooooooo nice to see colleagues kids grow up, etc.

So, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY YOU ALL, lotZ of love form a Bolivian ProZian I don't see the Z's being used a lot lately here so I will do it...

LotZZZ of love, hugZZZZ and KisseZZZ ProZians

[Edited at 2017-02-13 16:44 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever asked another ProZ.com user on a date?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »