Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you could write on a topic related to translation, which of these would it be?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:25
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Other Feb 1, 2017

...I'd write and article about how St. Jerome's dilemma - the Words or the Meaning - is still as relevant today. I'd concentrate on, and provide examples of how the best way to spot a weak translator, is to watch for those who stay as close as possible to the source sentence structure, losing most of the meaning by the wayside.

But I prefer to spend my extra time on literary writing.

[Edited at 2017-02-02 04:12 GMT]

Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:25
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 1, 2017

When people learn I am a freelance translator, they are often interested in how I started working in the industry and how I deal with payments from abroad without ever leaving my place. I have written several long emails on both subjects over the years, so someday I might simply compose an article.

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I'm writing it, but only when I have time to do it.

I have thought about several little things that could make me spend less time on mundane tasks, but I can never find time to do some proper research and try implementing them. Maybe your article is the missing gear for my execution.

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:25
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Linguistics Feb 1, 2017

An Introduction to Linguistics for Translators

Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Even paperless publishing is more than just marketing Feb 1, 2017

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Publishing an e-book on Amazon nowadays is cheap and easy.
You could initially do the most expensive part of publishing a successful book - marketing - here on the Proz forums, where your target audience is, at no expense whatsoever.
Yet the time to write and revise is scarce for those who really know something worth reading about!

Publishing itself is not a problem indeed, but I'd also need to find 2-3 people to give me feedback on the manuscript, update the text as needed, do a final check, verify the references, make professional-quality illustrations (as opposed to blackboard drawings), design a cover, lay the text out and check the final mockup. Takes at least as much time as the writing itself, and more difficult to do at a leisurely pace than writing. Ultimately, I might do it myself, too, but I'd need at least an external source of inspiration

[Edited at 2017-02-01 22:00 GMT]

Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PM Feb 1, 2017

I would write an article related to project management. The more I read about it the less I see it happen in an efficient way. Professionals learn how to be efficient or competent with material and machines, except with people and feedback always come as some sort of a punishment. :/

svenfrade  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:25
French to German
+ ...
I'll pass, thank you... Feb 2, 2017

I don't think I could write anything that hasn't been written before and I find it slightly uninteresting to read about the same old topics again and again.
However, I will probably do something I've been thinking about a long time and start writing a novel since I have finally managed to think of a fairly good and entertaining story and since it's easy to self-publish these days. It might even feature a middle-aged grumpy translator...
See more
I don't think I could write anything that hasn't been written before and I find it slightly uninteresting to read about the same old topics again and again.
However, I will probably do something I've been thinking about a long time and start writing a novel since I have finally managed to think of a fairly good and entertaining story and since it's easy to self-publish these days. It might even feature a middle-aged grumpy translator
Collapse

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'll pass is the obvious winner Feb 10, 2017

And it shows how stupid this pool is

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you could write on a topic related to translation, which of these would it be?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search