https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/310858-poll_how_much_do_you_think_your_productivity_is_would_be_affected_by_having_children-page3.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How much do you think your productivity is/would be affected by having children?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Nilton Jan 19, 2017

Nilton Junior wrote:
My daily routine would be most likely affected in ways I cannot even imagine at this moment, but this poll is about productivity.

But that's precisely what I'm talking about. How could children possibly not affect your productivity? If you think you won't have to change your routine radically, dedicatig a lot of tme to the child and less time to your work, what would that mean?

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:18
Member (2006)
German to English
@ Mario Jan 19, 2017

Mario Freitas wrote:

Nilton Junior wrote:
My daily routine would be most likely affected in ways I cannot even imagine at this moment, but this poll is about productivity.

But that's precisely what I'm talking about. How could children possibly not affect your productivity? If you think you won't have to change your routine radically, dedicatig a lot of tme to the child and less time to your work, what would that mean?

We are not talking about routine, we are talking about productivity. I still have the same productivity each day although I havetwo children. My routine is different though, but that was not the question☺

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ok, I see Jan 19, 2017

[/quote]
We are not talking about routine, we are talking about productivity. I still have the same productivity each day although I havetwo children. My routine is different though, but that was not the question☺ [/quote]

It seems the difference in the interpretation of the question is that you guys are considering productivity as a rate, which indeed will probably not change, and I considered the volume, the thoughput, the absolute value, which of course will be reduced.

Vesna Maširević
Vesna Maširević  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2011)
English to Serbian
+ ...
No Jan 19, 2017

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:

Because in English I certainly hope you didn't mean what is actually written

Like it or not, it sounds the same in all languages

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:18
Romanian to English
+ ...
Equality Jan 19, 2017

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:
Vesna Maširević wrote:
as long as women are those who actually bring children into this world, equality can not be an option.

Because in English I certainly hope you didn't mean what is actually written

I actually smiled at Vesna's comment and I wholeheartedly agree with it. There's nothing disparaging in it, she just means you can't equal men and women in all aspects, and childbirth and the related tasks is just one perfect example. But this lack of equality, or rather, uniformity, means wonderful diversity, not discrimination. Strictly speaking, nature is discriminatory, though, and there's nothing you can do about that, thank God!

Marta Cervera Areny
Marta Cervera Areny
Spain
Catalan to Spanish
+ ...
Can't work as many hours as I did Jan 19, 2017

I have 3-year-old twins, with the added challenge of having one of the twins with a mental disability.

So, I can't work as many hours as I did before, and that's why I became very selective with my clients. I got rid of the clients with low rates and late payers (most of them, anyway) and replaced them with better clients, so since my productivity (as in words per hour) is about the same or even higher, now I can make the same amount of money working less hours.

My ne
... See more
I have 3-year-old twins, with the added challenge of having one of the twins with a mental disability.

So, I can't work as many hours as I did before, and that's why I became very selective with my clients. I got rid of the clients with low rates and late payers (most of them, anyway) and replaced them with better clients, so since my productivity (as in words per hour) is about the same or even higher, now I can make the same amount of money working less hours.

My next goal is going back to working 8-9 hours/day to increase my income
Collapse

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:18
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Mario Jan 19, 2017

Mario Freitas wrote:

It seems the difference in the interpretation of the question is that you guys are considering productivity as a rate, which indeed will probably not change, and I considered the volume, the thoughput, the absolute value, which of course will be reduced.

I'd say it depends. Do you think parents necessarily work less than non-parents at an office? Why would it have to be different for freelancers?

[Edited at 2017-01-19 15:14 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Nilton Jan 19, 2017

Nilton Junior wrote:
I'd say it depends. Do you think parents necessarily work less than non-parents at an office? Why would it have to be different for freelancers?

If you leave your house and go to the office, nobody's gonna call you and ask for help. If the child cries, you won't hear it. If something needs to be done, poor mom will have to take care of it all by herself. But if you are at home, there's no chance of not being interrupted several times and having to take a break in your job to help.

Now I had three kids in a period of 5 years. And, as I mentioned, I'm not the kind of dad who thinks all this stuff is mom's duty. I helped her a lot. Don't tell me it would be possible to translate the same number of words per day in such situation without sacrificing hours of sleep, meal/bath breaks, and the VOLUME of work sometimes.

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:18
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mario Jan 19, 2017

Mario Freitas wrote:

Nilton Junior wrote:

If you leave your house and go to the office, nobody's gonna call you and ask for help. If the child cries, you won't hear it. If something needs to be done, poor mom will have to take care of it all by herself. But if you are at home, there's no chance of not being interrupted several times and having to take a break in your job to help.

Now I had three kids in a period of 5 years. And, as I mentioned, I'm not the kind of dad who thinks all this stuff is mom's duty. I helped her a lot. Don't tell me it would be possible to translate the same number of words per day in such situation without sacrificing hours of sleep, meal/bath breaks, and the VOLUME of work sometimes.

Again, you are going back to routine here. I have already said that my routine will certainly change when/if my wife has a child, but I still think I'd be able to take care of the baby and keep my current level of productivity.

I see some of my friends working even harder than they did before having kids because they need the extra income (and, yes, one of them is a freelancer and works from home), so it is definitely not impossible.

If I decide to reduce my workload, it is most likely going to be because I want to enjoy the kid's early months or years, and not because I do not have a choice.

Also, let's not forget what the poll is: "How much do you think your productivity is/would be affected by having children?". Considering my routine and relationship with my wife, I think my productivity would not be severely affected. If it turns out I am wrong, it is not going to be some ProZ.com poll that is going to prevent me from doing whatever I have to do to be a good father.

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not at all - I had childminders Feb 8, 2017

But now my four grandchildren are affecting my productivity more than I care to admit.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How much do you think your productivity is/would be affected by having children?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »