Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are you a home owner (with or without a mortgage)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 03:53
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, Jan 5, 2017

since 2001 so another 4 years to go on my mortgage.

I agree with BDF that attitudes and circumstances are different in various countries as for example, I saw in Montreal that many people rent throughout their lives as there is fairly good security of tenure and a good range of apartments at decent rents.
However, although I grew up in a rented (with fixed low rent) apartment in Dublin, on my return I discovered that rents had skyrocketed, as had house prices, probably due t
... See more
since 2001 so another 4 years to go on my mortgage.

I agree with BDF that attitudes and circumstances are different in various countries as for example, I saw in Montreal that many people rent throughout their lives as there is fairly good security of tenure and a good range of apartments at decent rents.
However, although I grew up in a rented (with fixed low rent) apartment in Dublin, on my return I discovered that rents had skyrocketed, as had house prices, probably due to the ever-increasing population of the city as people moved from the country and immigrated for work in the big multinationals like Google/Yahoo/IBM etc. along with all the students as there are 6 third-level institutions in Dublin.
I rented for a few years, sharing a house with others in a fairly rough area, but to live in a nicer area would have cost a fortune. I eventually decided to move to the country as I couldn't afford to buy anything in Dublin and I'm glad I did as my mortgage right now is around 15% of what a 2-bed apt. would cost in rent. There is a huge shortage of properties both to rent and buy, at the moment with many people "new homeless" being accommodated in hotels and hostels and no end to the misery in sight.
There is also a great yearning to be a homeowner in this country stemming from our history where tenant farmers were at the mercy of often-absentee (British) landlords for centuries (16th-20th) often with summary evictions and changes in terms at the landlord's whim. If there were rents at decent rates, like in other places, with some security of tenure, things might be different, but the vast majority want to own their own home here.

[Edited at 2017-01-05 15:56 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:53
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Can an anonymous poll ever be an invasion of privacy? Jan 5, 2017

It's something I've read a few times in these quick polls but I don't see how it can be. Until you choose to come here and share information nobody has any idea how you voted, or why.

The question occurred to me because of the massive changes in the housing market in my area - Fuerteventura, Spain. When I arrived 5 years ago there were a vast number of properties for sale and owners were only too happy to let them as they knew there was little chance of an immediate sale. Consequent
... See more
It's something I've read a few times in these quick polls but I don't see how it can be. Until you choose to come here and share information nobody has any idea how you voted, or why.

The question occurred to me because of the massive changes in the housing market in my area - Fuerteventura, Spain. When I arrived 5 years ago there were a vast number of properties for sale and owners were only too happy to let them as they knew there was little chance of an immediate sale. Consequently, both sale prices and rents were low. In the last year or two the world has arrived - well, most of Italy and a sprinkling from all other EU states, anyway,. Now the situation for tenants is critical. Places to rent for €350pm in 2012 can now demand €650. And very many tenants are being made homeless as their owners now know they can sell quickly. People who work locally have had to give up their jobs and leave the island.

For the record, I own my home and I'm also a landlady. I couldn't possibly wreck my tenant's life by ejecting him just to make more profit from the house that was my home when we arrived here. He's one of the lucky few still on €350. One of my kids is paying a hefty mortgage and extending her home, while the other is happier paying a lot in rent.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Divorces! Jan 6, 2017

I used to have a very nice house of my own. But I divorced my ex-wife and she kept custody of our three kids. So it was only fair that she kept the house. Now, 15 years later, two of my kids live with me, the third one is moving to another town where her college is, my ex-wife has the nice house, and I have shit. I hope one day I'll be able to buy or build another one, but so far, no chance. Rental it is.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 04:53
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Out of the frying pan into the fire Jan 6, 2017

I had a mortgage. I left my children and Hungary for 3 months to work in tengizt and I tried to save each penny there (my employer provided a room and catering). I came home and immediately paid the mortgage in full.

But suddenly my mother passed away and I inherited a house. It is located in the town centre (really in the centre on the main street) of Sümeg, a nice historical city... the post office, bus station, shopping centre, evrything is within 150 m, the school and a marketp
... See more
I had a mortgage. I left my children and Hungary for 3 months to work in tengizt and I tried to save each penny there (my employer provided a room and catering). I came home and immediately paid the mortgage in full.

But suddenly my mother passed away and I inherited a house. It is located in the town centre (really in the centre on the main street) of Sümeg, a nice historical city... the post office, bus station, shopping centre, evrything is within 150 m, the school and a marketplace is on the opposite side of the street. It is 120 sq. meters plus a garage for 1 car. But it is 280 km away from Budapest, close (18 km) to the northern side of the Lake Balaton (Balatonederics).
I have no car, and the train is more than 3 hours and now I have to pay for an empty house and heat it during the winter to protect the pipes, pay local tax, insurance etc. It is just a pain in the backside now.

The tax office evaluated it 6,4 M HUF (20 780 EUR) and if anyone gives 22 700 for it can have a key with all furniture, carpets, supplies, kitchen amenities, tools in the garage, gas oven, towels, whatever is in or left in the house. 3+1/2 rooms, hall, kitchen, gas heating, plus a nice old tile stove (wood for one winter season already cut and left untouched).
I also have a piece of land in the same city which I offer in addition for free.

https://www.google.hu/maps/place/Sümeg,%20Árpád%20u.%206,%208330/@46.9772369,17.2811711,3a,75y,135h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sgL1WVFuhzFa5a2l9OBUJ8w!2e0!6s//geo1.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=gL1WVFuhzFa5a2l9OBUJ8w&output=thumbnail&cb_client=search.TACTILE.gps&thumb=2&w=86&h=86&yaw=135.66716&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x476916cbeff6a4c9:0xd9b21d8a2a884022!8m2!3d46.9771693!4d17.2813938!6m1!1e1

I paid all the inheritance fees and costs in full but as soon I can sell it I would/will move from here.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you a home owner (with or without a mortgage)?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »