Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Which is most commonly spoken in your home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 2, 2017

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which is most commonly spoken in your home?".

View the poll results »

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jan 2, 2017

Oops, I think the "other" option is missing.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
What do you expect Jan 2, 2017

John Cutler wrote:

when Anonymous is behind the wheel?

In answer to the poll question - my [only] source language.

[Edited at 2017-01-03 01:10 GMT]

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes, I cannot answer that, either Jan 2, 2017

John Cutler wrote:

as I have 3 target lanugages that can be also source languages, and yes, one of them is spoken at home. It is my mother tongue, but not my prevailing target language.

Isabelle Wagmi
Isabelle Wagmi  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 02:37
English to French
Target language Jan 2, 2017

I live in a country where my source language is predominantly spoken, so my children learn it at school and with their mates. I keep up with speaking my target language to them at home because it is beneficial for them.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

Even when for 30 years I lived in Belgium, we spoke Portuguese at home.

mona elshazly
mona elshazly  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2016)
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Mother tongue Jan 2, 2017

We speak our mother tongue.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English

We have never spoken my source language and my wifes source language is not easy to learn (Hungarian) if we do not live there.

We spoke German from the time we met and have never wanted to use the other languages.

We do however speak our source languages consistently with the children though, irrelevant if other people are there. The problem thereis that although they are fluent in the 3 langauges, they only answer in German.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Source language Jan 2, 2017

We have always spoken English at home and my daughter was brought up with English, which she considers her primary mother tongue.
However, she was born and spent her first 8½ years in France (her father's country) and the next 10 years in Denmark (her mother's country). Now she is working internationally and has 3 'native languages'.

As for me, I feel totally bilingual, but since I was born in Denmark I mostly get work from English to Danish, and I don't really mind.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
source Jan 2, 2017

I live in the land of my source language and that's what I speak with my partner.

I made sure of speaking in English with my children, now they have left home.

Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Neither Jan 2, 2017

I'm currently based in Munich for studies; my source languages are mainly Spanish, Catalan and French, sometimes Russian; target is always English.

I'd like to add German to my source languages one day, ask me in a few years.

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
The "other" option is missing.... Jan 2, 2017

I am Scottish, translate De-En, spent many years living in Germany, and now live in Alsace (France). I speak English to my kids.

My husband is French, and speaks Alsatian to my two daughters and French to my son, although I do chastise him for not speaking Alsatian to my son.

My children speak English to me (unless they forget or are in mid-stream in another language), my daughters speak German to my husband, my son speaks French to him. He finds French easier than Ger
... See more
I am Scottish, translate De-En, spent many years living in Germany, and now live in Alsace (France). I speak English to my kids.

My husband is French, and speaks Alsatian to my two daughters and French to my son, although I do chastise him for not speaking Alsatian to my son.

My children speak English to me (unless they forget or are in mid-stream in another language), my daughters speak German to my husband, my son speaks French to him. He finds French easier than German or Alsatian because he has now been living in France for about as long as he ever lived in Germany, and speaks French all day at school. He does understand German and Alsatian perfectly and can speak the two if he wants to.

When friends come over to play we go with their dominant language. If French-speaking kids are there we all speak French, if German or Alsatian-speaking kids are there we speak German or Alsatian.

At the dinner table the languages change faster than some people can keep up, which has caused several raised eyebrows from non-family members in the past - they often don't understand how we can possibly hold a conversation in four languages at once, but that's the way things are at our house!
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
Exactly Jan 2, 2017

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

...Now she is working internationally and has 3 'native languages'.....

Exactly. My oldest daughter has now left home to study political sciences in Lille. She did an "AbiBac" at upper school - both the German Abitur and the French Baccalaureate, which qualified her to study at either a French or a German university. Now it is notoriously difficult to get into political sciences at a French university, so she got in through the "back door" by enrolling in a bi-national program between the University of Munster and the University of Lille. She is very aware of the major benefits that her multilingualism have brought her so far, and is looking forward to working in a multinational environment after she graduates (though not necessarily as a translator....)

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:37
Portuguese to English
neither target nor source Jan 2, 2017

I am British (target language) and my husband is Brazilian (Portuguese is my source language) but we speak mainly Spanish to each other as that was the language we had in common when we met (in a Spanish-speaking country, Colombia). Old habits die hard!

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:37
French to Spanish
+ ...
Both Jan 2, 2017

"native" languages... French and Spanish.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which is most commonly spoken in your home?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »