Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Did you make any professional New Year's resolutions for 2016 that you kept?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 24, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Did you make any professional New Year's resolutions for 2016 that you kept?".

View the poll results »

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What is so incredibly special about 01/01/YYYY? Dec 24, 2016

It's just a normal day, isn't it? It wasn't even a holiday in the UK until quite recently, as far as I remember. I don't see it as anything much more than a nuisance as it takes me a while to remember to write the different year number. Oh, and it marks the start of the book-keeping headache, getting all the figures ready for my accountant.

I make business decisions and resolutions as and when appropriate.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 24, 2016

I may have done, I but I don't recall anything specific. I did raise my rate for one client in January, but it seems to have lessened their eagerness to keep sending my work as their default translator... the last time they approached me, instead of just ordering the translation as they used to do, they asked for an estimate instead. When I quoted the rate I'd imposed in January, they never got back to me.

So, my resolution for this year is to pay no more attention to the pushy grab
... See more
I may have done, I but I don't recall anything specific. I did raise my rate for one client in January, but it seems to have lessened their eagerness to keep sending my work as their default translator... the last time they approached me, instead of just ordering the translation as they used to do, they asked for an estimate instead. When I quoted the rate I'd imposed in January, they never got back to me.

So, my resolution for this year is to pay no more attention to the pushy grabsters permanently obsessing about "increasing revenue" and encouraging gratuitous rate-raising through things like website polls or blogs. And to leave Baby Bear's porridge the way it always should be, i.e. just right.

PS Season's greetings, everyone!

[Edited at 2016-12-24 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't go in for that whole thing Dec 24, 2016

I have never been a big fan of New Year resolutions. I make my resolutions as they come along… Season's greetings, everyone!

funny-what-are-your-new-years-resolutions-january-2016

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:31
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Dec 24, 2016

I don't remember and and don't really care

Happy Crimbo, everyone

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 19:31
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Where I'm from... Dec 24, 2016

It's "go FOR", not "go IN for". So neither do I go for going IN for, nor do I go for going FOR these resolutions and the like.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Other Dec 24, 2016

I've generally resolved to say "no" faster and more often, and I think I'm slowly getting better at it, but it wasn't tied to a specific year.

Peaceful days, everyone!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Do not go for it Dec 24, 2016

I have already lost 9 kg doing sport activities over the past 3 months. Why should I wait fo the 1st Jan?
Same as Teresa says, make your decisions as you go along and do not wait for an excuse to push things off which you do not do at the end anyway!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
New Year's Resolutions... Dec 24, 2016

...are meant to be forgotten as soon as the (any) new year has started. At the latest when the "fog" clears off on January 2nd. Why burden oneself with a guilty conscious because of unfulfilled resolutions?

My only resolution for 2017 - and all the previous years - is to do all within my power to help so that we can find a way to all live together in peace.

Happy Holiday Season!...
See more
...are meant to be forgotten as soon as the (any) new year has started. At the latest when the "fog" clears off on January 2nd. Why burden oneself with a guilty conscious because of unfulfilled resolutions?

My only resolution for 2017 - and all the previous years - is to do all within my power to help so that we can find a way to all live together in peace.

Happy Holiday Season!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I don't go in for American English Dec 24, 2016

Reed James wrote:
Where I'm from...
It's "go FOR", not "go IN for". So neither do I go for going IN for, nor do I go for going FOR these resolutions and the like.

and you clearly don't go in for British. Fine: nothing to shout about .

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Not for work Dec 24, 2016

I made a personal resolution and am proud to say I kept it, but work is different. Being self-employed is a constant process of decision-making and evaluating the effectiveness of my actions. I need to always be aware of how I am doing, and adjust things accordingly, so it wouldn't be appropriate to wait until 1st January came around.

Happy Christmas, everyone!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't usually endorse acculturation… Dec 24, 2016

…and I'm not going to start now. Like Kwanzaa (that made-up African-American holiday), St. Patrick's Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving, New Year's resolutions are a cultural construct (made in America, Trumpists) made to homogenize the world.

During my months in Aveiro, Portugal, I was sad to notice “Black Friday” ads and signage at my local shopping center. I find the americanization trend quite repulsive. And I'm American.

So, no, I don't go for that sort of thing
... See more
…and I'm not going to start now. Like Kwanzaa (that made-up African-American holiday), St. Patrick's Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving, New Year's resolutions are a cultural construct (made in America, Trumpists) made to homogenize the world.

During my months in Aveiro, Portugal, I was sad to notice “Black Friday” ads and signage at my local shopping center. I find the americanization trend quite repulsive. And I'm American.

So, no, I don't go for that sort of thing.

Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:31
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Decisions Dec 24, 2016

Anyone who uses a specific/special date to make any important decision has a serious issue making decisions. Decisions are made when they have to be made, not in new year's eve. Planned decisions are made when an issue appears or when you decide to resolve one, and dates like new year's eve are the least likely to generate any positive planning or decision.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Where I'm from... Dec 25, 2016

It's "go In for", not "go FOR". So neither do I go in for going IN for, nor do I go in for going FOR these resolutions and the like.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:31
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 25, 2016

I made a resolution that I couldn't keep. I committed to expanding my client base, but it didn't happen because I was in a reactive mode (i.e., putting out fires) all year long.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Did you make any professional New Year's resolutions for 2016 that you kept?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »