Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Apart from the art of translation, which other art is dominant in you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:32
Italian to English
Time-wasting? Dec 19, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Grumbling about silly, time-wasting poll questions like this one...

So why waste more time replying?

I like this question! For me it's music - I've played the flute pretty much all my life, and just started playing trumpet a year ago.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Music, theatre, fine arts, literature and culinary arts Dec 19, 2016

Can't imagine a life without the arts - or having friends who don't love the arts.
I'm an opera subscriber (and did semi-professional choir and played two instruments for many years), see dozens of exhibitions every year (though I suck at expressing myself through figurative arts), go to at least a concert a month (jazz, rock, classical and ethnic fusion) and I am and have always been an avid reader.
For the past 5 years, I've also returned to writing. I currently write short stories
... See more
Can't imagine a life without the arts - or having friends who don't love the arts.
I'm an opera subscriber (and did semi-professional choir and played two instruments for many years), see dozens of exhibitions every year (though I suck at expressing myself through figurative arts), go to at least a concert a month (jazz, rock, classical and ethnic fusion) and I am and have always been an avid reader.
For the past 5 years, I've also returned to writing. I currently write short stories and literary non-fiction as my creative outlet (and occasionally get published in lit magazines). It doesn't add much to my income, though I spend a lot of time honing my craft, but it does infuse my life with meaning.

Without all of this, I can't imagine how I'd live through some of the more dreary technical translations I do annually.

[Edited at 2016-12-19 16:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-12-19 18:44 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Awkward English Dec 19, 2016

First time I hear that an art, a hobby or an occupation is “dominant” in someone's life.

Let me guess: Now Proz has teamed up with Google Translate (or Google AI, its lesser sibling) to create quick polls!

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Other Dec 19, 2016

My favourite art form is snark, and I think I am in good company here.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:32
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
None Dec 19, 2016

I have got to be the least artistically gifted person that I know, but am in awe with beauty which, for me, comes in the shape of music, painting, sculpture and, of course, and above all, nature.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
# 1 writing Dec 19, 2016

Writing, poetry, history, knitting, designing, bead work, the urge to travel, explore. especially the interconnection between languages spoken in different parts of the world, e. h. Hai means both yes and shark, etc., etc. Too many to list them all.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:32
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Music Dec 19, 2016

I used to be a good bass player + vocalist, and I had a rock band for a while, which was not bad at all. I even studied classig guitar when I was young. But since I got married, it became only a hobby, and since my third child was born, my guitar has been sitting in a closet, and it's probably full of spider webs now. I am still, and always will be a music fan, and music follows me wherever I go. It's always playing while I'm working, driving, cooking or whatever.

Duran Davis
Duran Davis  Identity Verified
Bahamas
Spanish to English
+ ...
The Art of Astrology. Dec 19, 2016

Karin Usher wrote:

I love science in general, but specifically physics, astronomy - astrophysics. I am studying for a BA in Physics and Mathematics at the Open University - loving it, but really hard to find the time!

Although a complete beginner at the moment, I love photography, so starting to do some astrophotography - putting together two things I like! I still have a lot to learn though...

Apart from that I play piano (very badly, so just for myself to relax sometimes).

Similar to what Karin wrote, The Art of Astrology is very dominant in me as I study it a great deal in my free time. I hope to one day be able to combine it with life coaching to offer people readings and coaching to help them design the best life for themselves.

Candace Barr
Candace Barr  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Where do I even start? Dec 20, 2016

Writing, drawing, knitting, crocheting, spinning, making jewelry, nail art, cooking... They all fight for dominance. The only thing that has kept me from trying my hand at dyeing is the space and money needed to get the right setup going.

[Edited at 2016-12-20 00:53 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Apart from the art of translation, which other art is dominant in you?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »