Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What's the main disadvantage of being a freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not enough income Dec 18, 2016

The big disadvantage is not enough income, which is caused by a combination of low rates and the crisis which has crushed Brazil like a tsunami, destroying the economy and raising unemployment to a new record high.
At the same time as work is very rare, costs are sky-high, especially rent, CAT tools, and the overpriced ProZ membership (which I had to drop to cut costs). Taxes are another burden, we have one hundred and twenty taxes in the country. Brazil has the highest tax burden (and the
... See more
The big disadvantage is not enough income, which is caused by a combination of low rates and the crisis which has crushed Brazil like a tsunami, destroying the economy and raising unemployment to a new record high.
At the same time as work is very rare, costs are sky-high, especially rent, CAT tools, and the overpriced ProZ membership (which I had to drop to cut costs). Taxes are another burden, we have one hundred and twenty taxes in the country. Brazil has the highest tax burden (and the highest interest rates) in the world.
Another problem is that in Brazil there are many 'I spent a week in Disney, I can translate it for you free' people. Unfortunately here, in many cases, price comes before quality.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Indeed Dec 18, 2016

Paul Dixon wrote:

... the crisis which has crushed Brazil like a tsunami (...) At the same time as work is very rare, costs are sky-high (...) Brazil has the highest tax burden (and the highest interest rates) in the world.
Another problem is that in Brazil there are many 'I spent a week in Disney, I can translate it for you free' people. Unfortunately here, in many cases, price comes before quality.

All this is very true, Paul. But you cana manage to work for clients abroad. Right now, only 15-20% of my income is from Brazilian clients, and they are surely the ones who pay the lowest rates and give me more trouble. I think you should invest in your portfolio in Europe and North America and you should solve these issues.

[Edited at 2016-12-18 22:22 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fluctuating income; employee rights Dec 19, 2016

I agree with Teresa and Mario.

While I would prefer to see a regular paycheck, I have learned to live within my income. I only buy things when I have the money for them - no credit cards or long-term debt. But the leaner months can be hard if my cushion has gotten low.

Fortunately, I have health insurance from my in-house translating job, but most freelancers don't have that benefit, which is crucial in this time of rising health costs.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
My surgeon says… Dec 19, 2016

Patrice wrote:

No matter how ergonomically I work, I think people were not meant to spend so much time in front of a computer, with all the attendant aches and pains.

…that I need to step away from a sitting position (in front of the computer) every 60 or 90 minutes and do stretches. My physical therapist puts that number at 20 minutes because (she says) human beings are not built to sit for long stretches.

So, Patrice, go and stretch, s'il vous plaît !

Bora Taşdemir
Bora Taşdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:58
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Also... Dec 19, 2016

+ irregular income

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What's the main disadvantage of being a freelance translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »