Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Would you help in the creation of a tool that actually eliminates the need for human translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there, done that! Dec 14, 2016

Back in the day, I helped to develop one of the more robust machine translation systems currently in operation. I have always been aware of the limitations. It reaches a certain plateau, which serves certain purposes. But I never did -- and never will -- consider it *real* translation.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:18
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Dec 14, 2016

Seriously, which translator would voluntarily destroy her/his branch of income? It's like sitting on a tree branch miles high over a steep, rugged canyon while "happily" working on cutting off that very same branch.

Odd question. Next question.

Traducción Francés
Traducción Francés
Spain
Catalan to French
+ ...
Without us Dec 14, 2016

De toute façon, cela arrivera, ça arrive déjà et c'est évident. C'est même compréhensible dans certains domaines répétitifs. C'est aussi pour cela que Trados et tous ces outils sont nés. Ils sont bien pratiques d'ailleurs. En plus, il existe tellement de types de traduction... Le domaine juridique lui-même est divisé en domaines qui seront intéressés par la post-édition et d'autres pas. Par exemple un arrêt ou un mémoire rédigé au fil des arguments pensés par un avocat ne pou... See more
De toute façon, cela arrivera, ça arrive déjà et c'est évident. C'est même compréhensible dans certains domaines répétitifs. C'est aussi pour cela que Trados et tous ces outils sont nés. Ils sont bien pratiques d'ailleurs. En plus, il existe tellement de types de traduction... Le domaine juridique lui-même est divisé en domaines qui seront intéressés par la post-édition et d'autres pas. Par exemple un arrêt ou un mémoire rédigé au fil des arguments pensés par un avocat ne pourront pas être traduits par une machine. Si un traducteur qualifié n'obtient pas de prix intéressant pour une post-édition, qu'il refuse. Après tout, un traducteur qualifié est arrivé à un stade où il pilote mieux son activité.Collapse

Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
unlikely scenario Dec 14, 2016

I think the only way of eliminating human translators is to have a real c3po. If we reach that level of artificial intelligence our species may be doomed anyway. Bit of a daft question.

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:18
Dutch to English
+ ...
ivory towers Dec 14, 2016

If it's possible, it will happen.
There is no point in doing work a machine can do. Whether a machine can do it is a question of time.

If it's inevitably going to happen, there will be no shortage of translators willing to help, notwithstanding the usual tedious grandstanding on display here.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
CAT users already are Dec 14, 2016

CAT users are already shooting themselves in the foot

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:18
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Japanese Dec 14, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

I personally don't think it's possible with J>E MT since the source Japanese would have to be very heavily edited for a machine to comprehend and turn it into another language.
I suppose someone could sit down and rewrite the Japanese language.

Another view:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/14/magazine/the-great-ai-awakening.html?_r=0

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, and the scenario will never be possible. Dec 14, 2016

... although I know that we are all involuntarily working in platforms that actually add to these giant translation memories used by the big MTs that will eventually become world powers in translation.
I have a great client that uses the GTM platform, which is by far the worst one in the market. I do a lot of work for this client. So what am I supposed to do? Say "no, I'm not helping this terrible market trend" and waive almost $2K every month to someone else who doesn't think that way? O
... See more
... although I know that we are all involuntarily working in platforms that actually add to these giant translation memories used by the big MTs that will eventually become world powers in translation.
I have a great client that uses the GTM platform, which is by far the worst one in the market. I do a lot of work for this client. So what am I supposed to do? Say "no, I'm not helping this terrible market trend" and waive almost $2K every month to someone else who doesn't think that way? Of course not! I work in the GTM platform, and I'm very happy with this client.
Plus, I don't think there is the slightest chance their powerful MTs and their giant TMs will ever replace quality translations. They will grow a lot and make a lot of money translating Chinese product manuals, apps for mobile devices, and lots of other stuff that care not for quality. But in the maket I perform, they'll never approach.

[Edited at 2016-12-15 19:17 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Whats with the French Dec 14, 2016

today?

It would be "nice" to let everybody else know what is going on ....

Anyway, I always thought that answers not in English would be deleted otherwise everyone could go mad here with their own languages??

I am sure that this has happened to translators answering in German in the past

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you help in the creation of a tool that actually eliminates the need for human translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »