Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you send Christmas/New year presents or greetings to your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Aleksandra Romanova
Aleksandra Romanova
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:24
Japanese to English
+ ...
Not usually Dec 13, 2016

I remember sending greetings to one client only.
It's generally hard to keep up with it, because here in Russia Christmas falls on 7th January, so by the time I remember that Christmas is coming, it's already over everywhere else. And it's also a two-week-off (Russia almost stops functioning during the first ten days of January and last two of December), so there is no point in e-mail greetings either.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:24
German to French
+ ...
Yes Dec 13, 2016

I send greetings via email to all my clients and close colleagues. For this, purpose, I always make up my own greeting card with a picture I took myself during the year and a couple of words. Just prepared it this morning
I also send paper cards to my very best clients.

I have not yet send gifts, although I've considered it. I received one, though! Only once. A chocolate box, from an agency. They never repeated
... See more
I send greetings via email to all my clients and close colleagues. For this, purpose, I always make up my own greeting card with a picture I took myself during the year and a couple of words. Just prepared it this morning
I also send paper cards to my very best clients.

I have not yet send gifts, although I've considered it. I received one, though! Only once. A chocolate box, from an agency. They never repeated. I guess it was a mistake, or they just had too many for their own clients and decided to send the rest over to vendors
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Generally not Dec 13, 2016

I will of course reciprocate any kind of holiday good wishes that I receive around this time of year, but I otherwise don't make a point of including such greetings in my interactions with clients, or of sending out separate "Seasons Greetings" messages. And I do not send cards.

I did make one exception two years ago, when I sent a Christmas card to a PM who, over the course of several months, had really gone out of her way to assign me a series of jobs. Alas, she left the agency sh
... See more
I will of course reciprocate any kind of holiday good wishes that I receive around this time of year, but I otherwise don't make a point of including such greetings in my interactions with clients, or of sending out separate "Seasons Greetings" messages. And I do not send cards.

I did make one exception two years ago, when I sent a Christmas card to a PM who, over the course of several months, had really gone out of her way to assign me a series of jobs. Alas, she left the agency shortly thereafter.

A couple of times, I even considered sending a gift basket to an office to be shared among PMs I had regularly dealt with. But I ended up not doing so, for one of two reasons: 1.) I did not think that the amount of business involved rose to a level that justified such a gesture; and 2.) along with whatever made me consider such an idea, there was also certain habitual behavior on the part of the potential recipients that I found irritating.

My interactions with the PMs of the large agencies that I typically work for are for the most part "cordial but impersonal." In most instances, I simply do not feel moved to go out of my way to send personal holiday wishes. It feels too phony....
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:24
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Dec 13, 2016

Yes, I sent gifts to 3 colleagues in the Things Translators Never Say, in Facebook.

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:24
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 13, 2016

I enjoy sending snail mail cards to my clients and they seem to enjoy receiving them!
I generally buy them from a local photographer who captures some nice images of Vermont in the winter.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 20:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
All electronic these days Dec 13, 2016

But I do make the effort, no harm in it: it jogs some clients' memories about me and is a way to let others know that I appreciate them. But I try to make my greetings culturally neutral. Definitely no presents though - I don't see it as part of my culture and wouldn't like to get into that kind of spiral.

As a further note: we have always given our employees [different business] a gift at this time - the "cesta de navidad"/"aguinaldo" [Spanish laws also dictate that at this time of
... See more
But I do make the effort, no harm in it: it jogs some clients' memories about me and is a way to let others know that I appreciate them. But I try to make my greetings culturally neutral. Definitely no presents though - I don't see it as part of my culture and wouldn't like to get into that kind of spiral.

As a further note: we have always given our employees [different business] a gift at this time - the "cesta de navidad"/"aguinaldo" [Spanish laws also dictate that at this time of year I give them an extra month's pay] but I am seriously thinking about cancelling that tradition of presents in favour of a charity donation... I shall be thinking about it for the next 12 months, since now is not the time to disappoint their expectations.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:24
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, if I have the time Dec 14, 2016

I like to send greetings, never gifts. Whenever I have the time to create a nice card, I will send it by e-mail to my clients and friends. Last year I didn't send any. This year, it's been flashing on my screen for over a week now (Outlook agenda), and I still haven't had time. I still intend to send them. Let's see.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you send Christmas/New year presents or greetings to your clients?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »