Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you feel pressure to maintain or raise your income in comparison with last year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 12, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you feel pressure to maintain or raise your income in comparison with last year?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Dec 12, 2016

I’d love to maintain my income at the same level of last year (work-wise, it was an exceptional year), or even improve it a little, but I live alone, I have no debts and no one pressures me but myself!

As I have been a single mother for a long time (I widowed early in life) I used to put myself under pressure regarding my income when my kids were still at home and I had heavy family responsibilities, but the youngest one left the nest 15 years ago, so nowadays I get up in the morn
... See more
I’d love to maintain my income at the same level of last year (work-wise, it was an exceptional year), or even improve it a little, but I live alone, I have no debts and no one pressures me but myself!

As I have been a single mother for a long time (I widowed early in life) I used to put myself under pressure regarding my income when my kids were still at home and I had heavy family responsibilities, but the youngest one left the nest 15 years ago, so nowadays I get up in the morning, do the best I can, try to market myself when things get a little quiet and go to bed at night! That’s all!
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:56
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Dec 12, 2016

I have reached a level where I am comfortable, work a bit more than enough, but still have time to live.
I just dont like the tax office and health service payments, they take up about 1/3 of everything and the more you earn, the more you have to pay so I just keep put and try to maintain a steady level that makes my wife, accountant and bank mananger happy☺

Looking forward to receiving some spam mails from anonymous.....

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 12, 2016

Given that my income is largely dependent on how much work I can be bothered to do, rather than how much work I can get, I am not immune to a little guilt when sending the little ones out into the snow barefoot to forage for berries and roadkill.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:56
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 12, 2016

I took a drop in income in 2016 because I had a lot of family responsibilities and couldn't work full time.

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
No Dec 12, 2016

I don't feel that much pressure, because "maintaining or raising my income in comparison with last year" is what I've been doing since I started off. I see it as my normal everyday responsibility, not something so difficult it should become daunting or anything like that - not easy of course, but doable. Besides, I don't believe any business can afford to not grow or at least adapt to changes and opportunities.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Nope Dec 12, 2016

No, I just try to raise it where I can. Somewhat difficult but clients who pay better have offered me more work this year, so my income has generally increased. we'll see about next year.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Dec 12, 2016

Ironically enough, while the government here talks about 'grey gold' and raising pension age, they have not thought it through properly.

There is plenty of work, but I am married to a pensioner, and if I earn more than quite a modest income, both his pension and mine are reduced. Apparently Denmark is not the world's most highly taxed country any more, but it is still quite close.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Comprehension issue Dec 12, 2016

I'm not sure if anonymous is a native speaker, and if it should read "Do you feel hard pressed to ..." rather than "Do you feel pressure to ..."

I can't even answer either question, because my feelings are way too unstable to base any statement on them. Like so:

ZAPHOD BEEBLEBROX: Er, man, like what's your name?
MAN: I don't know. Why, do you think I ought to have one? It seems odd to give a bundle of vague sensory perceptions a name.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
On the contrary Dec 12, 2016

I have been getting uncomfortably close to the local limit for compulsory VAT registration. And worse, there has been talk of implementing income tax progression again. So I feel under pressure to REDUCE my income.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Dec 12, 2016

Only from polls like this.
My rates are the same as last year. Last January I raised my rate 25%, but only for one long-time client. A couple of weeks ago they asked me for an estimate for a translation, but never responded when I quoted the January rate. As it happens, I can get by fine without that client, but maybe it's an indicator that I'm probably best leaving things the way they are when everything is running smoothly, rather than pushing my luck.
Caveat emptor!

... See more
Only from polls like this.
My rates are the same as last year. Last January I raised my rate 25%, but only for one long-time client. A couple of weeks ago they asked me for an estimate for a translation, but never responded when I quoted the January rate. As it happens, I can get by fine without that client, but maybe it's an indicator that I'm probably best leaving things the way they are when everything is running smoothly, rather than pushing my luck.
Caveat emptor!

[Edited at 2016-12-12 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:56
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Other Dec 12, 2016

I always work to raise my income from year to year, but its a matter of personal choice, I am not being pressured to.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't forget your towel Dec 12, 2016

Ricki Farn wrote:

I'm not sure if anonymous is a native speaker, and if it should read "Do you feel hard pressed to ..." rather than "Do you feel pressure to ..."

I can't even answer either question, because my feelings are way too unstable to base any statement on them. Like so:

ZAPHOD BEEBLEBROX: Er, man, like what's your name?
MAN: I don't know. Why, do you think I ought to have one? It seems odd to give a bundle of vague sensory perceptions a name.

Maybe the question could be rendered as Do you feel pressured to maintain or rise your income compared to last year's?

At least, that's how we'd say it in American English.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Billy Joel sang ♫Pressure ♪ Dec 12, 2016

When in doubt, I listen to Billy Joel.

Regarding the slightly awkward question for today, folks, I say: of course I feel pressured to maintain my income or raise it!

The follow-up question: Why the hell not?

Unless I lived off a trust fund or unless my name were Lord Carrington, owner of a massive fortune, I have to work whenever the opportunity presents itself. Today I lost a direct client (a Canadian company —What do you think of that, eh?), so my inco
... See more
When in doubt, I listen to Billy Joel.

Regarding the slightly awkward question for today, folks, I say: of course I feel pressured to maintain my income or raise it!

The follow-up question: Why the hell not?

Unless I lived off a trust fund or unless my name were Lord Carrington, owner of a massive fortune, I have to work whenever the opportunity presents itself. Today I lost a direct client (a Canadian company —What do you think of that, eh?), so my income will be temporarily 25% lower starting this month.

And since health insurers in America still hold the purse strings and hospital corporations keep monopolizing care delivery, I have to work more because my premiums were raised.

We're living in a Terry Gilliam movie.

Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ehhh Dec 12, 2016

I do not like when someone asks such questions.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you feel pressure to maintain or raise your income in comparison with last year?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »