Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: What do you think is the latest age one should stop freelance translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:17
Spanish to English
+ ...
Proposed future question Dec 10, 2016

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:

It would make much more sense to retain a relevant poll question for a couple weeks than to post a new one every day for the mere sake of novelty. I am inclined to think that there simply are not that many relevant or interesting questions to ask in such a poll, and that this is what accounts for so many of the insipid, trivial, and downright stupid efforts that we continue to see in this space.

Has anyone asked what we have for breakfast yet?

Who is your favorite superhero of all time?

__Batman
__Superman
__Spiderman
__Captain America
__I don't believe in superheroes
__Other - N/A (please explain)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Prohibition against discrimination... Dec 10, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I find this poll question demeaning.
I intend to go on translating until I drop, as did both my parents. When the quality of my work declines, I'm sure my clients will let me know!
As to EvaVer's question about interpreters: "Can you imagine listening to an 80-year old voice?", I refer her to the voices of, for example, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Ian McKellan and Derek Jacobi, all now in or near their 80s.
I'm not yet 80 but I invite EvaVer to telephone me without warning and tell me if my voice is acceptable to her!
We hear plenty of appalling young voices on TV, radio and film nowadays ...

... on the grounds of age is guaranteed both under EU law and under human rights documents.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
I have never met a retired translator Dec 10, 2016

I know of several colleagues who died at their desks/keyboards and others who died in their sleep at an advanced age while still engaged in projects. My own mentor worked right until he went into hospice at age 84.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's just a silly poll Dec 10, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I intend to go on translating until I drop, as did both my parents. When the quality of my work declines, I'm sure my clients will let me know!
As to EvaVer's question about interpreters: "Can you imagine listening to an 80-year old voice?", I refer her to the voices of, for example, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Ian McKellan and Derek Jacobi, all now in or near their 80s.
I'm not yet 80 but I invite EvaVer to telephone me without warning and tell me if my voice is acceptable to her!

... on the grounds of age is guaranteed both under EU law and under human rights documents.

I wouldn't take the poll so seriously. I see no ageism, age discrimination or any demeaning attitude. The question may be awkward, stupid even, but not malicious.

We have enough people who spend their lives online feeling offended. Life is short. Batman is awesome, Captain America sucks eggs (I saw the last movie). Tea is my preferred morning beverage…unless I feel like having Portuguese coffee.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:17
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
It depends Dec 10, 2016

Even though health issues might play a role in when one is forced to stop freelancing, I personally intend to work until my very last breath. Yes, even if I won every lottery jackpot in the world. Simply because I love what I'm doing.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:17
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My remark has nothing to do with the poll per se... Dec 10, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I wouldn't take the poll so seriously. I see no ageism, age discrimination or any demeaning attitude. The question may be awkward, stupid even, but not malicious.

We have enough people who spend their lives online feeling offended. Life is short. Batman is awesome, Captain America sucks eggs (I saw the last movie). Tea is my preferred morning beverage…unless I feel like having Portuguese coffee.

But with : "Can you imagine listening to an 80-year old voice?"

As Jenny said there are quite good voices (actors, singers, etc.) who are near their 80s...

[Edited at 2016-12-10 18:41 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:17
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In case of death? Dec 10, 2016

It really depends. I intend to work until I'm no longer able to. Being an old retired man doing crossword puzzles and taking care of my garden is certainly not an option. I shall be active and productive for as long as I can.
However, there is a possibility I become rich and change my mind. But that's not something planned, of course.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:17
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Indeed. Enough of anonymous! Dec 10, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:
Another great poll from Anonymous Duh!

Despite all the complaints, the ProZ managers don't seem to care. This looks VERY bad to ProZ itself. When my cell phone rings and it says "anonymous", I do not answer. When I receive e-mails whose sender is not identified, I erase them without reading. "Anonymous" is something very negative in a community (or anywhere).

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:17
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Agreed Dec 10, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

Dopey question. There is no "should stop at age."
You stop when you want to or when your circumstances or health (faculties) demand it.

Another great poll from Anonymous Duh!

I would even call this poll insulting.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Old translators don't give up Dec 10, 2016

They move into the Tower of Babel...

As long as there is tea and coffee and I can make porridge in the microwave for breakfast... Apples and muesli are good for a change.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have another question: Dec 10, 2016

What's the youngest age at which people should be allowed to start translating?

And this is only half in jest...

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
German to English
+ ...
The question bothers me Dec 10, 2016

The "should" makes me feel very uncomfortable.

valelove
valelove
Local time: 21:17
Member (2016)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
"Poll: What do you think is the latest age one should stop freelance translation?" Dec 11, 2016

Until I die and a little more.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
How nutritious Dec 11, 2016

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Has anyone asked what we have for breakfast yet?

In my timezone, a new ProZ poll.

Alexandra Villeminey
Alexandra Villeminey  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Maybe the poll isn't so silly after all Dec 11, 2016

I think many do work until they die because as a freelancer they never had a suitable retirement plan which is really sad.
I always said I would work forever but recently I signed a retirement plan and guess what, now I can imagine to retire at 65. There are plenty of beautiful things to do other than translating.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you think is the latest age one should stop freelance translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »