Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you reply to mass emails from outsourcers?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 19, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you reply to mass emails from outsourcers?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gitte Hovedskov. View the poll results »

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:49
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Should have added the option Aug 19, 2016

"Straight to Trash"

Especially, the ones beginning "Hi, translator".

Geez!

[Edited at 2016-08-20 02:11 GMT]

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:49
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Why bother? Aug 19, 2016

I used to reply sometimes, but now I simply don't.

Mass emails are getting less and less "polite" each day, and now usually include things like "You will translate..." and "Your rate will be ..." (usually ridiculous rates)...

Why bother, really?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 19, 2016

In the first place, I must say that I don’t receive mass mails very often. When I happen to receive one, I only reply if I know the sender and the project looks really interesting...

S
... See more
In the first place, I must say that I don’t receive mass mails very often. When I happen to receive one, I only reply if I know the sender and the project looks really interesting...

Similar question last year: http://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/283606-poll_do_you_respond_to_job_offers_that_are_sent_to_undisclosed_recipients.html

[Edited at 2016-08-19 09:26 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:49
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Aug 19, 2016

Since they usually are sent to undisclosed recipients - which is not my name -, they are obvioulsy not for me. So...

Susanna Martoni
Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Trash :-) Aug 19, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

"Straight to Trash"

Especially, the ones beginning "Hi, translator".

Geez!

Sounds perfects.
Mee too!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
It should be against Proz rules… Aug 19, 2016

…to mass mail Proz members. Even established companies have gotten into the practice.

It's tragicomic when a mass mailing starts with Dear translator and continues down like We have found your CV on our database/a job board/a directory, etc.

I mean, if you found my CV anywhere, you should have a modicum of good manners and address me by name.

Rush jobs, poor time management skills, limited knowledge of business writing and being busy are nev
... See more
…to mass mail Proz members. Even established companies have gotten into the practice.

It's tragicomic when a mass mailing starts with Dear translator and continues down like We have found your CV on our database/a job board/a directory, etc.

I mean, if you found my CV anywhere, you should have a modicum of good manners and address me by name.

Rush jobs, poor time management skills, limited knowledge of business writing and being busy are never excuses for bad manners. Like Julian, I send the offending emails to the trash to be permanently deleted.

And Proz should have a rule or policy against anyone (not just outsourcers) who mass mails other Proz.com members. It's rude, it's unprofessional and it's an abuse of Proz.com's resources.
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:49
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
As any other answer... it depends Aug 19, 2016

There are different kinds of mass emails. Most of them have a guaranteed place in my trash.

But I may reply to some others - specially those sent from PMs who work for a translation company I provide services - if a) I'm interested in the job offered; b) I'm not interested/not available, but I work often for/with their senders (PMs or companies) so I'd like to say them hello and inform them when I'll be available again.

No matter what you ask to a translator... the answ
... See more
There are different kinds of mass emails. Most of them have a guaranteed place in my trash.

But I may reply to some others - specially those sent from PMs who work for a translation company I provide services - if a) I'm interested in the job offered; b) I'm not interested/not available, but I work often for/with their senders (PMs or companies) so I'd like to say them hello and inform them when I'll be available again.

No matter what you ask to a translator... the answer is always "It depends." So this is not categorical. But sometimes, answering a mass email is a way to difference yourself from the mass.

And I work on many (daily) jobs started with an impersonal mass email, specially from translation companies I have a profile and work regularly with. So I don't feel bad with them at all.

[Editada em 2016-08-19 10:44 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Yes, sometimes Aug 19, 2016

Objectively, mass e-mails are a convenient way for outsourcers to reach many potential suppliers at once for a hot project.
Especially now with the shortage in my pair due to the summer holiday.

Like the majority, I also used to simply discard mass e-mails. But then, replying to cold e-mails - whether personalised or in bulk - is my only marketing activity besides maintaining my online presence. This is why I have a pile of templates for various requests, which I happily recyc
... See more
Objectively, mass e-mails are a convenient way for outsourcers to reach many potential suppliers at once for a hot project.
Especially now with the shortage in my pair due to the summer holiday.

Like the majority, I also used to simply discard mass e-mails. But then, replying to cold e-mails - whether personalised or in bulk - is my only marketing activity besides maintaining my online presence. This is why I have a pile of templates for various requests, which I happily recycle to save as much time as my mass-mailing counterpart.

However, there are some objective and subjective criteria to meet to raise my interest at first sight, such as:
Have they displayed my profile (word rate shown) or simply ticked entries in the Directory (Profile>Visitors tab)? Have several users from the same agency displayed my profile?
Is the project alive and ready to dispatch?
How good is their BB?
What's their reputation (stock-listed international word factories need not apply)?
Where are they based?
Do they require upfront references, volume discounts, blood samples, CIA clearance forms, etc.?
and much more.

Sometimes, I even find out to whom the project was granted just by monitoring the Kudoz questions. It can reveal a lot about the kind of translator the outsourcer is seeking, and I update my prospect record accordingly "for future reference".

Does it lead to one-off or returning customers? Less and less. My success rate is obviously far lower than with outsourcers contacting me by name, which is already very low.

Why do I do it then? Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Philippe
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
. Aug 19, 2016

[Edited at 2016-08-19 12:03 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Haha Aug 19, 2016

Thayenga wrote:

Since they usually are sent to undisclosed recipients - which is not my name -, they are obvioulsy not for me. So...

"Like".

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Sometimes, I even find out to whom the project was granted just by monitoring the Kudoz questions. It can reveal a lot about the kind of translator the outsourcer is seeking, and I update my prospect record accordingly "for future reference".

"Like"

[Edited at 2016-08-19 12:02 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Options Aug 19, 2016

What is the difference between the options "It depends" and "Yes, sometimes"?

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:49
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, sometimes = It depends :-) Aug 19, 2016

It depends if I know the sender. I know only one PM who is on my list, who works like this and I had 2 small assignments from him. No problem, it's just the way they work with their database.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:49
Russian to English
Profile Aug 19, 2016

I added to my profile a few weeks ago that I don't respond to queries not personally addressed to me. But it doesn't make much difference. I guess I got one to two queries like that per week and nothing has changed since.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you reply to mass emails from outsourcers?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »