Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you stop being a freelancer if you were offered a permanent in-house position?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 18, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you stop being a freelancer if you were offered a permanent in-house position?".

This poll was originally submitted by Andrea Garfield-Barkworth. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:44
Member (2006)
German to English
A simple Aug 18, 2016

No!

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
No Aug 18, 2016

Of course, if I got offered an in-house position with interesting and just enough challenging tasks, the freedom to organise them as I wish, nice colleagues, a lovely boss, a good pay (better than what I earn as a freelancer) and all this within a 10 minutes drive from my home, then of course I'd accept and quit freelancing. But it's not going to happen, there's really nothing to discuss here.

Bora Taşdemir
Bora Taşdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Why would I get paid less for what I do? Aug 18, 2016

I know what is going to happen, if I ever work in an in-house position: working in the evenings and at the weekends for less amount of money. As an English-Turkish translator, I don't even work with Turkish companies. Accepting an in-house position would be a very foolish thing to do if the company doesn't belong to me.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-08-18 08:41 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (Been there, done that!) Aug 18, 2016

As I said before (another very similar poll) I worked in-house (an EU institution) for 20 years and retired in 2006. I loved the work, my boss, my colleagues and… the pay (I usually earned much more than I do now). I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork and the helpdesk support! At my age, I doubt very much I would be offered any in-house position, so I’ll keep on FREElancing!

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No way Aug 18, 2016

I would never ever consider being an employee again.
I would happily stop working as a translator but I would never want go give up being self-employed or run my own business. Personally, I don't miss bosses, lunchtime chats, colleagues and teamwork at all.

[Edited at 2016-08-18 08:53 GMT]

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, not a chance Aug 18, 2016

But my answer might have been different 20 years ago

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:44
English to Arabic
+ ...
Depends... Aug 18, 2016

For a rewarding package (one that will allow me to live a life of material comfort in the country of employment and be able to save), a big fat ABSOLUTELY.

For a peanuts package (one that will force me to live a life of misery in the country of employment and be encouraged to hate my job), a big fat PASS.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not now Aug 18, 2016

I was enormously grateful when I landed an in-house job in 1998.

After a series of pot-boiler jobs that brought in a pay check, but not much satisfaction, I was not ready to organise myself, and I did not know enough about translation to make a success of freelancing.
My employer sponsored my postgraduate diploma and colleagues helped me to learn a lot, while they provided a safety net - they kindly sorted out my mistakes before my work went out to clients. I was truly upset w
... See more
I was enormously grateful when I landed an in-house job in 1998.

After a series of pot-boiler jobs that brought in a pay check, but not much satisfaction, I was not ready to organise myself, and I did not know enough about translation to make a success of freelancing.
My employer sponsored my postgraduate diploma and colleagues helped me to learn a lot, while they provided a safety net - they kindly sorted out my mistakes before my work went out to clients. I was truly upset when the company had to downsize and closed the office. Even then, it was my best client for a number of years after a started freelancing.

I would warmly recommend an in-house position with a good agency as a starting point, but like others, I would not go back. Probably no employer would take me on either, so the question does not arise in practice.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 18, 2016

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

Of course, if I got offered an in-house position with interesting and just enough challenging tasks, the freedom to organise them as I wish, nice colleagues, a lovely boss, a good pay (better than what I earn as a freelancer) and all this within a 10 minutes drive from my home, then of course I'd accept and quit freelancing. But it's not going to happen, there's really nothing to discuss here.

I'd add a month's paid holiday and no night or weekend work.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:44
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Been there, done that Aug 18, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

As I said before (another very similar poll) I worked in-house (an EU institution) for 20 years and retired in 2006. I loved the work, my boss, my colleagues and… the pay (I usually earned much more than I do now). I often miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork and the helpdesk support! At my age, I doubt very much I would be offered any in-house position, so I’ll keep on FREElancing!

I worked for international institutions for 25 years and quit to become a freelance. I miss all the things that Teresa does, but I don't miss the schedule, the commute, or having to get all dressed up every day. At least in my day, we wore pantsuits or dresses, jewelry, and pantyhose and heels.

[Edited at 2016-08-18 10:40 GMT]

Linda Miranda
Linda Miranda  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Aug 18, 2016

Just like Teresa said: "At my age, I doubt very much I would be offered any in-house position, so I’ll keep on FREElancing!" And I underline FREE too!

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:44
Member (2004)
English to French
I left an in-house position in June Aug 18, 2016

After 13 years, I got tired of the daily grind of an unfullfilling 9 to 5 job with a horrible boss (who was there only for 1.5 years when I left). Now, I have very varied texts, lots of work, and even if I work longer hours, I'm a lot happier. I can go to the gym in non-peak hours. I always promised myself, if I were to become a freelancer, I would get back into shape.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:44
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I'm not sure Aug 18, 2016

Definitely NOT as an in-house translator.

However if I were offered a full-time job back in HR management or HRD consulting, I'd certainly give it some thought.

Els Peleman
Els Peleman  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Flemish
+ ...
Been there done that Aug 18, 2016

I have worked for three translation offices, only one was acceptable, two others were real nightmares, but none of them comes even in the neighbourhood of the benefits and standards of a freelance translator. I would never ever give up my freelance status.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you stop being a freelancer if you were offered a permanent in-house position?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »