Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Would you stop being a freelancer if you were offered a permanent in-house position?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:25
Russian to English
It doesn't make economic sense for me Aug 18, 2016

Given my language pair and country of residence as a freelancer I make 2-3 times what I would make in-house.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Only if I could get on the EU gravy train Aug 18, 2016

But it's a closed shop (via-via only) and apparently the gravy train isn't as lucrative as it once was. But their low taxes, excellent health care coverage and OTT pensions, etc. are tempting.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:25
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, never! Aug 18, 2016

I really like being my own boss (not having a boss, but having clients that I choose to work with), setting my salary (rates), defining my schedule, etc., etc., etc.
No regrets, I am simply very, very happy to have this professional situation.

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:25
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
I did that in the past Aug 18, 2016

In '94 I did just that: I was a freelance, and was offered a position as a staff translator by a major software company. I accepted the job, moved to Colorado, and worked in that company for ten years, first as translator, then also as translation manager. When the software company merged with a bigger company (which, in its turn, was taken over by a yet bigger corporation), they closed the translation department -- it was at that point that I returned to independent work as a translator (in my ... See more
In '94 I did just that: I was a freelance, and was offered a position as a staff translator by a major software company. I accepted the job, moved to Colorado, and worked in that company for ten years, first as translator, then also as translation manager. When the software company merged with a bigger company (which, in its turn, was taken over by a yet bigger corporation), they closed the translation department -- it was at that point that I returned to independent work as a translator (in my own company).

Working in house was a great experience and taught me a lot.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
It depends Aug 18, 2016

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

In '94 I did just that: I was a freelance, and was offered a position as a staff translator by a major software company. I accepted the job, moved to Colorado, and worked in that company for ten years, first as translator, then also as translation manager. When the software company merged with a bigger company (which, in its turn, was taken over by a yet bigger corporation), they closed the translation department -- it was at that point that I returned to independent work as a translator (in my own company).

Working in house was a great experience and taught me a lot.

Hi, Riccardo. I do remember that scenario very well, but from my point of view. One of the reasons they hired me at the time (as one of the translators) was that the software company specialized in accounting and I had attended a business high school (grandiose term for a diploma in bookkeeping).

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The option “It depends on conditions being offered” is missing Aug 18, 2016

I started my career as a translator in the independent field (so-called freelance, a label I find quite distasteful). I didn't stop working with my own clientele whenever I accepted an in-house job. I managed my time by working on my translations on evenings and weekends.

From a purely economic viewpoint (salary and benefits), translating as an independent professional beats doing the same in-house. One does not have to be a control freak to recognize that there are certain f
... See more
I started my career as a translator in the independent field (so-called freelance, a label I find quite distasteful). I didn't stop working with my own clientele whenever I accepted an in-house job. I managed my time by working on my translations on evenings and weekends.

From a purely economic viewpoint (salary and benefits), translating as an independent professional beats doing the same in-house. One does not have to be a control freak to recognize that there are certain factors outside of one's control that detract from any real or perceived benefits of working as an in-house translator:

a) Whoever is the boss is an unknown variable
b) Office politics, which more often than not trump any of the idiotic “Mission” and “Vision” statements American companies (always showy and obnoxiously loud with their self-perceived generosity)
c) Salary increases are minuscule (I was once given a 0.50% annual salary increase!)
d) Unreasonable demands on your time (pointless meetings, obsolete time management forms, disrespectful deadlines, etc.)
e) Open-office settings, which destroy any chance of mental concentration to yield translations at the level you really enjoy

In American office politics, there's this outsized preoccupation with multiculturalism and diversity, which are actually pretexts for everyone to be fooled into thinking that the company is concerned about reaching out to ethnic minorities and that its policies are color blind. Although translated materials help communicate some of the best of these attempts, translators and translation as a profession do not benefit from them.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:25
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Half & Half maybe Aug 18, 2016

I would accept a 20 hours/week in-house position, but would continue freelancing. If the contract would then also stipulate that I could work at home = perfect!

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Control freaks Aug 18, 2016

Thayenga reminded me of one aspect I've encountered. Several American companies would love to have me apply for their in-house translation position…provided I relocate (with no financial assistance on their part) to their sometimes expensive location.

At times I've successfully argued with a prospect on the grounds that I could fulfill all of the duties of the position from my home office, and I gain a new client. Other times, their insistence on having the translator work onsite,
... See more
Thayenga reminded me of one aspect I've encountered. Several American companies would love to have me apply for their in-house translation position…provided I relocate (with no financial assistance on their part) to their sometimes expensive location.

At times I've successfully argued with a prospect on the grounds that I could fulfill all of the duties of the position from my home office, and I gain a new client. Other times, their insistence on having the translator work onsite, in their stupid Silicon Valley-inspired open office premises, smacks of hovering, micromanaging bosses, something I don't need now or ever.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:25
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
NO! I've been there... for too long. Aug 18, 2016

No way on Earth!
I worked in-house for over 20 years. I had decent pays, great benefits, and all, but having predefined working hours, a boss who thinks he is a superior human being, a bunch of 'collegues' trying to screw you and pretending to be your friends, and seeing the government eat up half your payment?? Receiving compliments from everyone, then being dimissed without any palusible explanation, because the company is cutting costs?? Being forced to sit for one hour in traffic jams
... See more
No way on Earth!
I worked in-house for over 20 years. I had decent pays, great benefits, and all, but having predefined working hours, a boss who thinks he is a superior human being, a bunch of 'collegues' trying to screw you and pretending to be your friends, and seeing the government eat up half your payment?? Receiving compliments from everyone, then being dimissed without any palusible explanation, because the company is cutting costs?? Being forced to sit for one hour in traffic jams twice a day?? Having to eat 'somewhere' every day, paying twice as much as you would pay for much better food at home?? Believing you are building a carreer and you'll become a Chief Officer one day, when the truth is a manager is the top possible position you can ever hold if you are not 'part of the family'??

The only way I would possibly go back to that torture was if they offered me at least 20% more than I make as a freelancer (net, of course), which would currently be equivalent to the CEO's salary, so NO CHANCE.

I quit in-house jobs in 2013 and decided to become a freelancer. Three years later, I regret not having made that decision 20 years earlier. I'd probably be rich today, which I would never have a chance to accomplish working in-house.
Collapse

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Other Aug 18, 2016

I don't *want* an in-house position.
Beyond no.

Gabriella Vento
Gabriella Vento  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:25
Member (2015)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wow... Aug 18, 2016

I submitted a poll very similar to this one 4 days ago, which has never been posted. In my variation there were more options for answers though, depending on earning more, less or the same in the permanent position.
Anyway...I voted with a definite No, even if the payment would be substantially more there.

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you stop being a freelancer if you were offered a permanent in-house position?".

This poll was originally submitted by Andrea Garfield-Barkworth. View the poll results »

[Edited at 2016-08-18 22:57 GMT]

Paulo Caldeira
Paulo Caldeira  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Why not? If the in-house work would be at ONU / EU and something like that! Aug 18, 2016

Let's speak clear.
I hate bosses and I hate the "ordinary" in-house salaries in my country.
But I also hate the lack of carefull to work as a freelance. Have you ever work and give 35% from your "end-of-the-month" to the state without any benefits? That's what happens to portuguese people: you get your money, you pay taxes and Everything else, but if you don't have a previously "rent" from a "gold" job at the end of the month you give 35% of your money for nothing.
Now. If some
... See more
Let's speak clear.
But I also hate the lack of carefull to work as a freelance. Have you ever work and give 35% from your "end-of-the-month" to the state without any benefits? That's what happens to portuguese people: you get your money, you pay taxes and Everything else, but if you don't have a previously "rent" from a "gold" job at the end of the month you give 35% of your money for nothing.
Now. If someone gives the "benefit" to work at International Organizations with high payments and good benefits...I wouldn't look back...
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aside from international organizations, there are options Aug 19, 2016

Paulo Caldeira wrote:

Let's speak clear.
Now. If someone gives the "benefit" to work at International Organizations with high payments and good benefits...I wouldn't look back...

I have had good bosses and bad, mediocre ones. I've also had excellent benefits as well as superficially good benefits in some of the positions I've held.

For me, I would welcome the opportunity to work in-house as long as telecommuting were encouraged as a strong option. One of the advantages (at least here in the United States) is charging a nice hourly rate and avoiding the worst of office politics. Personality counts too: some people can fit in almost any work environment, others can't, and it all boils down to personality.

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 17:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm not sure Aug 19, 2016

I picked I'm not sure but I'm certainly leaning towards No. I only ever worked as an in-house translator for 4 months after which I got fired because I went to the Ministry of Labor in my country after I realized my boss was cheating me out of pay for which I hired a lawyer.

I love the freedom of having different clients, working from home, not to mention earning a salary in dollars and euros as opposed to the local currency, which makes the choice of continuing as a freelancer th
... See more
I picked I'm not sure but I'm certainly leaning towards No. I only ever worked as an in-house translator for 4 months after which I got fired because I went to the Ministry of Labor in my country after I realized my boss was cheating me out of pay for which I hired a lawyer.

I love the freedom of having different clients, working from home, not to mention earning a salary in dollars and euros as opposed to the local currency, which makes the choice of continuing as a freelancer that much easier.
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 00:25
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
same here bot I voted yes Aug 19, 2016

Thayenga wrote:

I would accept a 20 hours/week in-house position, but would continue freelancing. If the contract would then also stipulate that I could work at home = perfect!

I am old and ugly enough so I am sure nobody would employ me but I would work happily for an organization.
My last workplace was the GIS office where I was responsible directly to the CEO so from the position of the Office Manager I became his personal translator / interpreter. they closed the Budapest office, I established my own company and since then I run a tiny office in Budapest. Until 2010 I had a nice office but I was not able to manage (pay for) it so since my cancer I just have a small room in my flat but sometimes I am still dreaming about having a separate office again. Turning this year 48, I think it is not more than a dream, in my country I considered to be too old for being an employee.

A place for self-ad: if anyone need a very capable secretary/translator/interpreter, who is ready to work up to 16 hours per day (preferably in the UK / Isle of Man but any other country is fine) (translationg, interpreting, managing anything in the office, including its cleaning), just give a call! I have valid NI number and I am ready to relocate within a week. No relocation package is needed just a 18-20 m2 place to live. I am ready to pay upfront for 3-5 months the rent. Who knows maybe someone will read here.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you stop being a freelancer if you were offered a permanent in-house position?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »