Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How often do you check your primary email?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 15, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How often do you check your primary email?".

This poll was originally submitted by Tural Afandi. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Automatically Aug 15, 2016

New e-mails come up in a little window while I'm working. But I get more done when I don't leave the program open. I've been trying that lately and I think it does make me more productive. I do that in the evenings and on weekends now, but during the week I have to keep it open so I don't miss any incoming work.

[Edited at 2016-08-15 22:47 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Every hour Aug 15, 2016

I have two primary e-mails and I check my e-mail every hour or so, depending on my schedule…

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English

I look at each email as it comes in - a bit distracting, but it has become a habit. The vast majority go straight in the trash.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 01:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 15, 2016

It varies. Today, in the middle of August, and a public holiday in Spain, I've checked it once, just in case any of my academic clients had decided to send something my way. At busier times of the year, I check it several times a day, usually at least once an hour, especially if I'm expecting a project from my regulars.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Automatically + every ½-1 hour Aug 15, 2016

I find the options totally out of touch with our reality

Seham Ebied
Seham Ebied  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 02:55
English to Arabic
+ ...

Automatically when I use my laptop. And also automatically every 10 minutes on my phone.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:55
Member (2011)
Japanese to English

But my customers/clients don't send me 'rush' jobs that need an immediate response and need to be done in a couple of hours time. They know I like a bit of time so that I can work at my own pace and produce work of quality that they can look forward to.

I've got them well-trained.

I also agree with Yetta's comment, too. But how often you have to check your mail indicates the kind of work you do and the
... See more
But my customers/clients don't send me 'rush' jobs that need an immediate response and need to be done in a couple of hours time. They know I like a bit of time so that I can work at my own pace and produce work of quality that they can look forward to.

I've got them well-trained.

I also agree with Yetta's comment, too. But how often you have to check your mail indicates the kind of work you do and the kind of customers/clients you work with, IMHO.
Collapse

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...

I check my emails automatically throughout working hours, because I have found that clients expect a rapid response to their enquiries.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
None of the above Aug 15, 2016

Mail clients set up to use the IMAP protocol with the IDLE option don't check the server for new mail, it's the server that notifies them of every new message as soon as it arrives. This is also known as "push mail".

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I choose when Aug 15, 2016

One of the very reasons I choose e-mail over the telephone as the channel for communication with my clients is so that I do not get interruptions. Nothing worse than being distracted mid-sentence.

So I look myself, and I do look pretty frequently. If it turns out that the client couldn't wait that long, then too bad. If there are likely to be very urgent messages coming in, then I will look more often or even suggest to the client they resort to the phone.

But most of
... See more
One of the very reasons I choose e-mail over the telephone as the channel for communication with my clients is so that I do not get interruptions. Nothing worse than being distracted mid-sentence.

So I look myself, and I do look pretty frequently. If it turns out that the client couldn't wait that long, then too bad. If there are likely to be very urgent messages coming in, then I will look more often or even suggest to the client they resort to the phone.

But most of those urgent jobs are not willing to pay for the urgency.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other... Aug 15, 2016

…because right now I'm checking my primary email.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...

Since my primary email account is also my starting pages in my brower, it opens the moment I open my browser. Additionally, it tells me when new emails are coming in and how many. So even when I'm not working, it's being checked automatically.

Jongkaz
Jongkaz
South Korea
Local time: 08:55
English to Korean
+ ...
Always when I hear a notification ringer! Aug 15, 2016

I've linked all my account to my laptop and phone
So been I hear a notification, I check right away!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Frequently Aug 15, 2016

Thayenga wrote:
Since my primary email account is also my starting pages in my brower, it opens the moment I open my browser.

I've turned off all the beeping and flashing but I can see the number of unread emails and I check them far more frequently than a few times a day.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you check your primary email?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »