Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: August 13th is the International Left Handers Day. Are you right-handed or left-handed?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 13, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "August 13th is the International Left Handers Day. Are you right-handed or left-handed?".

This poll was originally submitted by Catharine Cellier-Smart. View the poll results »

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
right Aug 13, 2016

As a first-former (actually I was six and a zero-former) I could write, draw, and manipulate better as a left-hander, but at school I (as many others) was rightly re-trained as a right-hander. There was a period when I could use my both hands equally, yet a couple years later I found difficulties to write with my left hand...

Using electronic means of communication a lot, I occasionally find problems even with handwriting.
Re-learning.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:44
Russian to English
What a sinister poll... Aug 13, 2016

BTW President Putin is left-handed, so watch what you say 😉

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 18:44
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ambidextrous Aug 13, 2016

The only things I do with my right hand are writing and eating (sometimes) and, of course, typing.

BTW, I don't find anything sinister about this poll, although in Italian sinistra (left) comes from sinister.

Have a good day!

N.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm right-handed! Aug 13, 2016

Thanks to this poll, learned something new today: didn't know that left-handed keyboards existed...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Percentage of the population at large Aug 13, 2016

On what is so far a small number of respondents, 180, we are pretty much around the norm in terms of percentage of the general population.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Left-handed Aug 13, 2016

The plaster that secured all my left arm but my hand confirmed that with flying colours.

I was taught to write and use scissors with my right hand, but it's not because of it that I became a sociopath. It's because microwave doors and control panels, printed mug handles, TV on/off buttons or flexible strap pipe wrenches are all on the wrong side. I feel discriminated and I am very happy to learn that an international day will allow left-handers to speak up about the ordeal they live
... See more
The plaster that secured all my left arm but my hand confirmed that with flying colours.

I was taught to write and use scissors with my right hand, but it's not because of it that I became a sociopath. It's because microwave doors and control panels, printed mug handles, TV on/off buttons or flexible strap pipe wrenches are all on the wrong side. I feel discriminated and I am very happy to learn that an international day will allow left-handers to speak up about the ordeal they live in their daily lives.

To conceal my condition, I hold my fork in my left hand and my knife in my right hand to look like a right-hander.

My wife is also left-handed because left-handers are usually undervalued by right-handers (sinistra in IT, gauche in FR...), so we had virtually no choice. A smart real-life experiment conducted in the name of science revealed that this crippling trait is not genetically transmitted: our children are normal, right-handers.
Which is good since they didn't plan to be tennis or fencing pros.

Philippe
Collapse

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to English
Yes Aug 13, 2016

[quote]Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

BTW, I don't find anything sinister about this poll, although in Italian sinistra (left) comes from sinister.
/quote]

Yes, it's a joke. Comes from Latin...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
One of many in my families... Aug 13, 2016

Philippe Etienne wrote:

My wife is also left-handed because left-handers are usually undervalued by right-handers (sinistra in IT, gauche in FR...), so we had virtually no choice. A smart real-life experiment conducted in the name of science revealed that this crippling trait is not genetically transmitted: our children are normal, right-handers.
Which is good since they didn't plan to be tennis or fencing pros.

Philippe

Watch your grandchildren!

My great grandmother on my mother's side was left handed. Neither of her daughters were left handed, but one of her grandchildren was. His wife was also left handed, but their four children were all right handed. I don't know about the next generation in that branch, but I bet there are some left-handers among them!

My mother used both hands, left for strength and right for dexterity, and my father was right handed, but two of their children are left handed. Several of their grandchildren are.
My husband uses his left hand for tools and whenever he can, but was made to write with his right hand. So were his brothers, but at least one of them was left handed. Our son is right handed, but some of his cousins are left handed.

The proportion of left-handers in both families, one English and one Danish, is quite a lot higher than the general population.

I don't find it a handicap in itself, but I am not good with my hands at anything much.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:14
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Disappointed! Aug 13, 2016

It is interesting that from this poll, it appears that left-handedness is about as much common among translators as in the general population. According to this link, about 10% of the population is left-handed whereas as per this poll 11% per cent of the respondants are lefties.

http://www.livescience.com/19968-study-reveals-lefties-rare.html

I wa
... See more
It is interesting that from this poll, it appears that left-handedness is about as much common among translators as in the general population. According to this link, about 10% of the population is left-handed whereas as per this poll 11% per cent of the respondants are lefties.

http://www.livescience.com/19968-study-reveals-lefties-rare.html

I was expecting it to be a bit more as left-handed people are more brainy and I always thought translators were a cut above the rest as far as brain power goes, which is also corroborated by this link:

https://www.quora.com/Are-left-handed-people-more-intelligent-than-right-handed-people

Let me shame-facedly declare that I myself am right-handed, and perhaps a bit less brainy that the gifted southpaws!
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Statistical bias Aug 13, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
...According to this link, about 10% of the population is left-handed whereas as per this poll 11% per cent of the respondants are lefties...

Don't be disappointed.
The outcome of Saturday polls is always biased by the non-representativity of this weekday. Even more so when the following Monday 15th is a bank holiday in many countries.

To me, this pool reveals that most left-handed translators who are users of proz.com and happy respondents to polls are enjoying a long weekend at the beach, disconnected from the Internet, relaxing or doing water sports.

Which leads me to believe that the left-handers' day is set on the 13th precisely so that nobody know about it. There's certainly some kind of conspiracy going on to muzzle any form of claim about the dreadful life lived by left-handers (except beating everybody at casual table tennis matches).

I think tomorrow is the goldfish owners' day.

Philippe

PS to all left-handed psychos: I'm joking.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about ambidextrous? Aug 13, 2016

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Similar story Aug 14, 2016

DZiW wrote:

As a first-former (actually I was six and a zero-former) I could write, draw, and manipulate better as a left-hander, but at school I (as many others) was rightly re-trained as a right-hander. There was a period when I could use my both hands equally, yet a couple years later I found difficulties to write with my left hand...

Re-trained to be right-hander in my early childhood.
The only thing I can do with my left hand now is drinking alcohol But I do it very rarely.

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are right Aug 14, 2016

[quote]ILAN RUBIN wrote:

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

/quote]

Yes, it's a joke. Comes from Latin...

I knew you were joking just added my comment to springle up some spice.

And yes, it comes from Latin.

Cheers!

N.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:44
Hebrew to English
Out of interest... Aug 14, 2016

DZiW wrote:
but at school I (as many others) was rightly re-trained as a right-hander

Why do you say rightly? Especially when forced conversion has been linked to negative consequences.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: August 13th is the International Left Handers Day. Are you right-handed or left-handed?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »