Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What contingency plan do you have if your internet connection fails?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 10, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What contingency plan do you have if your internet connection fails?".

View the poll results »

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Local time: 19:03
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
My neighbours helped me out on my first real freelance day Aug 10, 2016

Actually, when I had just quit my day job, I found that internet was not working the next morning. I got into a slight panic because I had a deadline for noon that day. Fortunately, my neighbours were so kind to give me their wifi code, and they told me I could use it whenever I needed. No internet connection failure in the latest months, but I am happy to have this back-up. A Dutch proverb says: It's better to have a good neighbour than a friend far away... See more
Actually, when I had just quit my day job, I found that internet was not working the next morning. I got into a slight panic because I had a deadline for noon that day. Fortunately, my neighbours were so kind to give me their wifi code, and they told me I could use it whenever I needed. No internet connection failure in the latest months, but I am happy to have this back-up. A Dutch proverb says: It's better to have a good neighbour than a friend far awayCollapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't have a contingency plan Aug 10, 2016

As it has never failed more than 5/10 minutes I don’t have a contingency plan per se, but should it occur either I’ll go to the nearest coffee shop WiFi or to my daughters’ offices…

I doubt very much my French neighbour, though he’s very nice, could be of any help as he travels all the time and I only see him once in a blue moon…

[Edited at 2016-08-10 08:42 GMT]

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Other: madness Aug 10, 2016

I have a large collection of old china to smash on the floor.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Other Aug 10, 2016

I live in the center of town (a suburb to Copenhagen) so there are many possibilities.

And when it happened once:
I went to the local library (5 min. walking distance). Then when they closed I went to the nearest café.

It would also be possible to go to our nearby hospital (10 min. walking distance), which offers free wifi in their lobby/cafeteria around the clock.

But of course, it is always a hassle anyway.

[Edited at 2016-08-10 09:13 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Alcohol Aug 10, 2016

When the whole of South Wales lost the Internet one day last year, wine o'clock got moved forward.

I suppose if it had been a true emergency we could have driven to England, although it might well have been cheaper to Easyjet over to Scandinavia and deliver by hand.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Haha! Madness and alcohol. Aug 10, 2016

To whch I might add chocolate?
Seriously though, a combination of items listed.
When I used to live and work in the countryside, the connexion was much less reliable.
I've now switched to urban living, not my natural preference at all, but for a number of practical reasons. One big advantage is the quality and reliability of connected living.
I also live metres up the road from a university, where I am enrolled, and I can always use that as a back-up if my home/office
... See more
To whch I might add chocolate?
Seriously though, a combination of items listed.
When I used to live and work in the countryside, the connexion was much less reliable.
I've now switched to urban living, not my natural preference at all, but for a number of practical reasons. One big advantage is the quality and reliability of connected living.
I also live metres up the road from a university, where I am enrolled, and I can always use that as a back-up if my home/office internet goes AWOL.
If my connexion fails, then the uni is one source and Tours positively lights up with free hotspots a couple of which I can pick up from where I am. Otherwise, it means grabbing my stuff and heading off to a café : http://www.tours-tourisme.fr/destinations/tours

There is always 3G or 4G, but only as a last resort as extremely expensive in France. Still, it does enable me to check mail and not see jobs pass me by for that reason.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Other... Aug 10, 2016

I have two Internet connections from two different providers with their own equipment at the exchange... very unlikely they'd both fail...

Béatrice DEZERALD
Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Other Aug 10, 2016

I go to my IT provider and I work there.
Only happened once or twice.I cross my fingers !!

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I use my neighbour's WiFi... Aug 10, 2016

...with the authorisation of the neighbour, obviously.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
I take a pen drive to any nearby cybercafé Aug 10, 2016

I live in an 84-apartments building. Most of the people here access the Internet through the leading cable TV provider (NET).

My next-door neighbor is fighting a battle to get a competitor (Vivo Fibra) in, but they can't get through... literally! Their engineers haven't yet found a way to get their cabling through without tearing apart stone-lined brick walls and the concrete floor of the main entrance hallway downstairs... at OUR expense!

A couple of years ago NET went
... See more
I live in an 84-apartments building. Most of the people here access the Internet through the leading cable TV provider (NET).

My next-door neighbor is fighting a battle to get a competitor (Vivo Fibra) in, but they can't get through... literally! Their engineers haven't yet found a way to get their cabling through without tearing apart stone-lined brick walls and the concrete floor of the main entrance hallway downstairs... at OUR expense!

A couple of years ago NET went down for the entire block during 3-4 consecutive days. That's when I learned to take a pen drive to one of the nearby cybercafés. I'm always amazed with how they can survive charging US$ 1 or 2 per hour of use.

Now, when NET service is down, I call them and tell their CSR about the 84-homes market they'd be potentially handing over to Vivo on a silver platter. In most cases, things get fixed "as we speak". Sometimes it takes a couple of hours, but not more than that.

I am kinda ready to switch my desktop computer from the cable connection with NET's modem to my cell phone (Vivo) for Internet access, and then use it as a server for the family WiFi router, but this hasn't been necessary yet.
Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
This actually just happened to me Aug 10, 2016

while on the phone to my internet provider trying to explore why it was so slow. They asked me to disconnect everything and take out the batteries in any landline phones in the house and called me on my mobile. My router completely refused to reconnect and after speaking with the engineer it seemed that something in my router had fried.

Having no car on that day meant I couldn't dash out to buy a new one so I had to make an order via my smartphone for an express delivery, which arr
... See more
while on the phone to my internet provider trying to explore why it was so slow. They asked me to disconnect everything and take out the batteries in any landline phones in the house and called me on my mobile. My router completely refused to reconnect and after speaking with the engineer it seemed that something in my router had fried.

Having no car on that day meant I couldn't dash out to buy a new one so I had to make an order via my smartphone for an express delivery, which arrived the next morning. After a few hours my defunct router (which had no lights displaying) suddenly started up so that at least I could work that evening.

Fortunately I had no deliveries to make on that day and was able to keep all my deadlines once the new router arrived. I advised all my regular clients of events using the e-mail facility on my phone but it is an experience I wouldn't like to go through again.
Collapse

Nilton Junior
Nilton Junior  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Three different connections Aug 10, 2016

This was a major concern for me a few years ago when I had only one ISP available in my area. Whenever it failed, I was forced to using 3G and pretty much had to *hope* it wouldn't stop working all of a sudden even though I was still well below my quota and had a full bar.

Fast-forward to a few years later. There are 4 ISPs in my area, and I have got three different connections at home (the exception being my old ISP). Each connection is fast enough for my needs - 100, 70 and 50 Mbp
... See more
This was a major concern for me a few years ago when I had only one ISP available in my area. Whenever it failed, I was forced to using 3G and pretty much had to *hope* it wouldn't stop working all of a sudden even though I was still well below my quota and had a full bar.

Fast-forward to a few years later. There are 4 ISPs in my area, and I have got three different connections at home (the exception being my old ISP). Each connection is fast enough for my needs - 100, 70 and 50 Mbps - and I have a multi-WAN router (TL-ER5120) that deals with load balancing, so I don't even notice it when one of them goes down.

Despite this, power losses can still be a headache because it prevents me from using my desktop, but luckily I have never had any issues when I was overwhelmed. If needed though, my laptops should keep me running for 5-8 hours and I have a battery for my modems.
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Go close to the border Aug 10, 2016

I use a mobile Internet connection anyway. If it failed at a critical time I could drive 1 km up the road, where I'd pick up the Internet signal from the town across the river in the neighbouring country (occasionally I can pick it up at home, but the signal is weak).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What contingency plan do you have if your internet connection fails?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »