Poll: Is your work showing any sign of slowing down at this time of the year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 7, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Is your work showing any sign of slowing down at this time of the year?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mary Worby. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Aug 7, 2016

Quite the contrary and the same thing happened last year: I'm totally overbooked (I'm not complaining)...

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Another poll I don't remember! Aug 7, 2016

Maybe I submitted this one a year ago! Maybe I subsmitted it at Christmas, who knows! But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had 'more or less' as an option as it seems pretty meaningless!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:00
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Aug 7, 2016

Just got two biggish jobs - one will keep me busy for the next 2 and a half months and the other one will last for the next 4 weeks. There's also another automotive project that is due to start soon that will last until November, and then there's all the incidental little jobs that come along now and then.

Looks like a couple of cans of Red Bull for breakfast every morning for the foreseeable future. I just hope I don't slow down and wilt in this heat. It was 38C with 70 to 8
... See more
Just got two biggish jobs - one will keep me busy for the next 2 and a half months and the other one will last for the next 4 weeks. There's also another automotive project that is due to start soon that will last until November, and then there's all the incidental little jobs that come along now and then.

Looks like a couple of cans of Red Bull for breakfast every morning for the foreseeable future. I just hope I don't slow down and wilt in this heat. It was 38C with 70 to 80% humidity yesterday!
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Aug 7, 2016

I had a lull after I got back from a trip to Brazil earlier this year. It's easy for people to forget you exist, but I reminded them, and now I'm fully booked.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 7, 2016

Thankfully, I'm getting slightly less work this month than the rest of the year. I could really be doing with a whole week of no jobs at all appearing in my inbox. Or even two weeks. Chance would be a fine thing...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too... Aug 7, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

I just hope I don't slow down and wilt in this heat. It was 38C with 70 to 80% humidity yesterday!

My air conditioning has been on during the day for the past couple of weeks because of the heat. It’s 10 a.m. in Lisbon, the temperature is already over 30°C but fortunately humidity is 38%... Bon courage!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Aug 7, 2016

Everything is as usual - red bull for Breakfast - reminds me of Family Guy

[Edited at 2016-08-07 12:35 GMT]

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
No Aug 7, 2016

I think I am actually more in demand as other translators take their holiday and companies prepare their autumn offensives and end-of-year activities.

Seham Ebied
Seham Ebied  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 14:00
English to Arabic
+ ...
Yes Aug 7, 2016

Maybe because it is summer, and I take a holiday every now and then so I do not accept most of the work offers!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:00
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Other: Feast & Famine cycles as usual Aug 7, 2016

I was working at full capacity until a couple of weeks ago, when demand suddenly halted. Last Thursday it returned with full blast, and I had to turn down four large job offers on Friday, because I won't be able to deliver them by the expected deadline. I'm all taken up again.

I'm getting used to these cycles. A trend that had faded some time in the past seems to be coming back: no translation assignments are made on Mon-Tue. They start on Tuesday evening, and take on a crescendo th
... See more
I was working at full capacity until a couple of weeks ago, when demand suddenly halted. Last Thursday it returned with full blast, and I had to turn down four large job offers on Friday, because I won't be able to deliver them by the expected deadline. I'm all taken up again.

I'm getting used to these cycles. A trend that had faded some time in the past seems to be coming back: no translation assignments are made on Mon-Tue. They start on Tuesday evening, and take on a crescendo that peaks on Friday evening. I'm considering the idea of giving a discount on jobs assigned on Mondays.

The markets I cater to are mostly split 50/50 between hemispheres, i.e. mostly Brazil and the USA, so I cannot blame it on any of the four seasons. If there any factor at play, it's randomness.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Aug 7, 2016

I have a full agenda, and I'm not experiencing any drops so far, thank God.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks, Mary Aug 7, 2016

Mary Worby wrote:

Maybe I submitted this one a year ago! Maybe I subsmitted it at Christmas, who knows! But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had 'more or less' as an option as it seems pretty meaningless!

I have to confess: I see your surname and I think of Warby Parker, those stylish glasses

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Family Guy flashbacks Aug 7, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

Everything is as usual - red bull for Breakfast - reminds me of Family Guy

[Edited at 2016-08-07 12:35 GMT]

Thanks for the laughteer, Michael! I needed it.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Happy summer is being had by all Aug 7, 2016

In 2015, my summer was so job-dry I had to take up other occupations: vinyl record collecting, buy and sell turntables on eBay, as well as selling some tchotchkes (trinkets) such as a full-size pedestal globe on Internet. It was, like Americans say, beer money mostly (I don't drink).

Then projects started arriving in earnest in mid September 2015. A happy end of year indeed.

Now, on 2016, things have been almost nonstop since February. No lazy summer days. Now I'm in th
... See more
In 2015, my summer was so job-dry I had to take up other occupations: vinyl record collecting, buy and sell turntables on eBay, as well as selling some tchotchkes (trinkets) such as a full-size pedestal globe on Internet. It was, like Americans say, beer money mostly (I don't drink).

Then projects started arriving in earnest in mid September 2015. A happy end of year indeed.

Now, on 2016, things have been almost nonstop since February. No lazy summer days. Now I'm in the middle of a self-imposed lull because of hip surgery (carrying my left leg under my arm was getting tiresome), but I expect to resume full tilt by the end of August.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Is your work showing any sign of slowing down at this time of the year?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »