Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have a job other than translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Aug 4, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a job other than translation?".

This poll was originally submitted by Silvia Di Profio. View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Full-time translator Aug 4, 2016

That's what I said. I also write, but I seldom get paid for it. I wrote a memoir, but the royalties weren't much to write home about.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:09
French to English
+ ...
Second job Aug 4, 2016

Since I'm quite new to freelancing, I have kept my second job as an usher at a theatre - a job that I've had for 9 years. It's only a few nights a week and I can choose which evenings to work, so it's quite handy (plus, you get to watch the shows!).

I am thinking of leaving soon, though...since starting up as a translator, I am enjoying working with the public less and less!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, not any more... Aug 4, 2016

I am a full-time translator but I led a double (professional) life for many years…

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:09
Member (2006)
German to English
Full time Aug 4, 2016

and enjoying every day of it

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
I answered "full-time translator" ... Aug 4, 2016

... but I am also a single working mother of a minor without help from my parents or my daughter's father.

So, those are in fact two jobs, all things considered.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Transitioned Aug 4, 2016

I transitioned from teaching to translation years ago. Translation started off as secondary employment in the 90s and I started dropping classes bit by bit when I began to obtain more and more translation work.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Aug 4, 2016

After graduating, I had to initially combine work as a conference hostess and secretary with occasional work as a freelance translator until I was sure I had enough clients to take the big leap into translating full time, which I did in 1979. I have lived happily ever since...

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 16:39
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Tried some teaching Aug 4, 2016

I've worked as an EFL teacher for a few years, but I've found translation better suit my character (and financial needs as well!), so I quit.

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:09
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
for health insurance... Aug 4, 2016

I had to get a salaried job when I moved back to the U.S. because health insurance costs are so prohibitive... and still are despite Obamacare. I never needed a second job in Spain...

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:09
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Aug 4, 2016

Never

Jumped in the deep end on the first day. Still in the deep end right now. Anyone spot the problem in the equation?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes Aug 4, 2016

I've spent a lot of time recently wandering around shopping malls hoping to be spotted by a modelling agency scout but that hasn't borne any fruit yet so I may have to settle for driving in F1 again next year

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Aug 4, 2016

I am retired and live form my pensions. Translation is just an occupation that brings in some more money.
Rolf

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:09
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Aug 5, 2016

Chris S wrote:

I've spent a lot of time recently wandering around shopping malls hoping to be spotted by a modelling agency scout but that hasn't borne any fruit yet so I may have to settle for driving in F1 again next year

I know that feeling. I should have answered 'Yes' since I do fit full-time translation in between clandestine adventures up the Amazon and black ops for dodgy governments.

[Edited at 2016-08-05 08:11 GMT]

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:09
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I used to... Aug 5, 2016

And I think it's quite advisable to have a regular job in-house, and to work in a corporate environment for a while, not only to learn how to negotiate and deal with other professionals, but most of all to actually "specialize" in some fields, which will never happen if you graduate in translation and sit at home for ever.

However, after about 10 years in a job like that, it's time to flee and never come back. As soon as you acquire enough knowledge to specialize in a few areas (in
... See more
And I think it's quite advisable to have a regular job in-house, and to work in a corporate environment for a while, not only to learn how to negotiate and deal with other professionals, but most of all to actually "specialize" in some fields, which will never happen if you graduate in translation and sit at home for ever.

However, after about 10 years in a job like that, it's time to flee and never come back. As soon as you acquire enough knowledge to specialize in a few areas (in translation, not in the area itself, of course), then working in that "regular job" environment, with a boss, working hours, abusive taxes, etc., becomes harmful instead of a benefit.

[Edited at 2016-08-05 01:44 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a job other than translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »