Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you purchase the license of your CAT tool anew every time it has a major upgrade?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:52
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
No... Aug 3, 2016

As Mario mentioned, software updates are usually free of charge if you have a license. Only new versions have new rates applied.

However, I'm not the kind of guy who upgrades my software tools or OS each time an upgrade is released. When I find a software which fits well and helps me with my needs, I get used to it and avoid updating all the time.

For example, I use mostly Wordfast Pro 3 and I love it! Personally, I hated version 4 (it threw almost all WF3 great featur
... See more
As Mario mentioned, software updates are usually free of charge if you have a license. Only new versions have new rates applied.

However, I'm not the kind of guy who upgrades my software tools or OS each time an upgrade is released. When I find a software which fits well and helps me with my needs, I get used to it and avoid updating all the time.

For example, I use mostly Wordfast Pro 3 and I love it! Personally, I hated version 4 (it threw almost all WF3 great features away). And I luckily have an old version installation. I use version 3.4.0 (they are now offering only 3.4.8), because I noticed that all newer versions are slower when managing big term bases (and I have a huge glossary).

Not every change and not every new releases are for the better. Depending on how you see it and use it, of course.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:52
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Aug 3, 2016

Absolutely! In fact, I'm surprised that others don't.
And I have the updated licenses for DejaVu, SDL Trados Studio, Wordfast, memoQ, and Transit NXT (which is the only one that never requested me to pay for the updates). Some of the tools do not require an update for the upgrade, but their license expire, or an annual fee has to be paid...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Aug 3, 2016

But I intend to if I realize the new features are worth it. I don't think you have to do it for 'every' new version. For example, most people who migrated from Windos 7 to Windows 8 deeply regreted it. I was one who wasted some money, just to throw Win 8 in the trash can. It's wiser to wait till those who can't wait try it, and hear the opinions later, before you make a decision.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:52
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Aug 4, 2016

Luiz Barucke wrote:

Thumbs up for Luiz, here. Once I find what fits me best, I stick to it. That goes for both software and OS's, to boot (pun intended). BTW, I'm still running XP. Do I hear any of you gasping?
However, I do realize that, with various mail and memory problems, my machines are become degraded so I am installing a new RAID 1 machine with Windows 7 installed. Do I hear any more gasps?

cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:52
English to German
+ ...
I'm all into vintage Aug 4, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

Do I hear any of you gasping?

with Windows 7 installed. Do I hear any more gasps?

Not at all! I have a laptop, which runs with Win 8 and does not seem to want to work with Win 7. But they offered an update to Win 10, which I did. The whole process took ages (literall 5 hours!) and everything I had seemed to experience compatibility issues. So I restored the settings, which took 6 hours.

My desktop machine is a fairly old one but my husband is well familiar with IT so he does the maintenance for me (like new graphic card, hard drive or memory). My computer runs on Win 7 and I consequently refused to upgrade on Win 10.

I would have also stayed with XP but they don't support it anymore and I like to know there is a helping hand there

I also have the new MemoQ (which I love) and Trados (which I hate now even more than ever before and will definitely not byu anymore).

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The vintage club Aug 4, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

Luiz Barucke wrote:

Thumbs up for Luiz, here. Once I find what fits me best, I stick to it. That goes for both software and OS's, to boot (pun intended). BTW, I'm still running XP. Do I hear any of you gasping?
However, I do realize that, with various mail and memory problems, my machines are become degraded so I am installing a new RAID 1 machine with Windows 7 installed. Do I hear any more gasps?

I'm still running Windows XP, too, and apparently will have to continue doing so.

I am the IT guru at home. My elder son is a world-class IT guru working in a large company, but he lives elsewhere with wife & kids. The other son & wife live overseas. So my wife, stepson, and daughter are my current clientele. They have been through all Windows versions since XP, so I've seen the few - if any - advantages, and the smothering shortcomings and glitches each one had. Today, all of them are running Windows 10, after a desperate escape from the horrible 8.1.

As it's easy for me, I have Windows 10 installed on a SSD drive, and it's merely a matter of plugging it in. Yes, I could select the OS at boot time but, after the test, I chose to unplug it. Compatibility issues abound in Win 10, and both my printers (which serve the entire household) would have to be replaced. Speed is much lower, like after four fat guys having boarded your car. What's the point?

On another front, I still use Page Maker v6.52; didn't like v7. Yes, I tried InDesign, but I don't really need all that fancy stuff. PM allows me to rebuild a complex publication so quickly, that people who watch the process wonder why so many people use MS Word for anything beyond what a typewriter could do.

I was a Netscape fan, for those who remember it. Didn't like Thunderbird, and never had Outlook installed in any computer of mine. Then I found the Vintage Club within Mozilla. They didn't like Thunderbird/Firefox created a modern version of Netscape, named it SeaMonkey, and that's my #1 browser and e-mail client.

My impression is that hardware and software industries are in cahoots. The latter is not improving its products, but only making them bulkier, heavier and more demanding, so the former can keep selling more powerful computers to cope with that unnecessary burden. That's their sustainability model, pushing the demand to keep selling and staying afloat.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you purchase the license of your CAT tool anew every time it has a major upgrade?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »