Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Can translators be over-qualified for a job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:08
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Very subjective Jul 30, 2016

There are several aspects that make this question very ambiguous. The translator can consider him/herself overqualified, and sometimes the client/agency can consider the translator overqualified, for several reasons.

Every translation has terms, expressions, moods, specific areas, etc. that require a good professional. So no one is actually overqualified for any job.

However...

I've been offered many opportunities to work on dubbing and subtitling, for exam
... See more
There are several aspects that make this question very ambiguous. The translator can consider him/herself overqualified, and sometimes the client/agency can consider the translator overqualified, for several reasons.

Every translation has terms, expressions, moods, specific areas, etc. that require a good professional. So no one is actually overqualified for any job.

However...

I've been offered many opportunities to work on dubbing and subtitling, for example, and I refused all of them. My translations will probably be all revised, not because they are bad, but because they are out of the market standards. I would try to make accurate translations, and that's not what they are looking for. They need a specific language, there are space issues, etc. So, I would think I'm overqualified for that job, and the client would think I'm underqualified for it.

When an agency is paying low rates or looking for mobile app translators, for example, they will not hire someone with three degrees and 30 years of experience. They can hire newbies for a lower rate, and they do not require a high-quality translation most of the time. In this case, the client could consider the translator overqualified.

So, again, very subjective.

[Edited at 2016-07-30 17:28 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Can translators be over-qualified for a job?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »