Poll: Your main e-mail address is...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 28, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Your main e-mail address is...".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka Márquez. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free domain Jul 28, 2016

Yahoo. It's pretty rubbish, but used to work OK with Google Chrome. However, since I upgraded to a new PC with W10 last month, I can't get Chrome to work on it properly - I keep getting a black screen.
My Yahoo mail is sticky and clunky with the version of IE on the new PC, and I haven't tried out MS Edge yet, as I am deeply suspicious of anything newfangled foisted on us by Microsoft. However, I also have a Gmail account which works fine with Explorer, so I manage to muddle through.
... See more
Yahoo. It's pretty rubbish, but used to work OK with Google Chrome. However, since I upgraded to a new PC with W10 last month, I can't get Chrome to work on it properly - I keep getting a black screen.
My Yahoo mail is sticky and clunky with the version of IE on the new PC, and I haven't tried out MS Edge yet, as I am deeply suspicious of anything newfangled foisted on us by Microsoft. However, I also have a Gmail account which works fine with Explorer, so I manage to muddle through.

PS: I can't get my Wordfast to work with Excel files on the new PC either, but I don't get them all that often and the last time one came in, I just set up the old PC and did it on that instead.
Collapse

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Gmail Jul 28, 2016

Regular Gmail is free, however I have a customised address that I pay a small fee for.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Free + paid Jul 28, 2016

I have one paid email address and one free email address.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Paid domain Jul 28, 2016

I do not trust all of the free ones because they only want your data and who knows where it is being saved.

I have a paid domain with two separate names

Els Peleman
Els Peleman  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Flemish
+ ...
Free for the offices - paid for the direct clients Jul 28, 2016

A free gmail-account for the offices, I used from the beginning of my freelance carreer.
Since a year I have another address for direct costumers that is linked to my website.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 11:33
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Paid domain Jul 28, 2016

Like Michael, I prefer to pay the extra and go via a third party. In my case, this is OCN the largest ISP in Japan and I'm pretty sure that they provide the highest level of security. This is the only way to go with Japanese customers since they demand that secure antivirus measures are in place in addition to antivirus measures installed on my PCs to protect their information.

I think my customers would not be happy if I had a gmail or other free mail account.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Two main addresses Jul 28, 2016

One is my website domain address and the other is a free domain.
The free one is my first address and it is till valid.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:33
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Free + paid. Jul 28, 2016

Free and paid. With these options, I never lose e-mails if one of those servers is down.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Remember Yahoo? Jul 28, 2016

Well, I dumped my Yahoo! email addresses many years ago. Now Yahoo! has been purchased by Verizon, one of America's four largest phone services providers (they offer FiOS, a pretty fast Internet+home phone+cable TV package in most cities).

I still use my Gmail accounts for personal use and as a forwarding repository for my main office email address. Did you know that Gmail servers all encrypt mail?

You may also use Gmail secure servers for your own email account.

TLS in-transit Gmail encryption

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
2 free + 1 website Jul 28, 2016

Els Peleman wrote:

A free gmail-account for the offices, I used from the beginning of my freelance carreer.
Since a year I have another address for direct costumers that is linked to my website.

Plus 1 free, I have what she has.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:33
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Proz membership comes with a free Jul 28, 2016

email address and domain

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:33
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
1 paid and 2 free Jul 29, 2016

I don't think anyone has a single e-mail account, but well...
As to a "main" e-mail, in my case, I use each one as "main" for some purpose, but I always inform an additional e-mail and ask people to send messages to both, if they don't mind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Your main e-mail address is...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »