Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is the most important lesson that you have learned as a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
French to English
"Like" Jul 25, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

Would your client be patient if you did not deliver on time, as agreed?
Come on, folks, take a professional approach. You deliver your best quality and you expect to get paid. On time in both cases. If the client doesn't see it that way, cut the crap, threaten to take them to court and never work for them again.

In fact I very rarely have payment issues. I enter into realistic contracts with professional clients. I deliver my part of the deal. They pay. We thank each other nicely and sometimes repeat the process. I hope that is how it works for most people.

And probably that is the most important thing I have learnt - take your client and yourself seriously and treat their text, however small, with respect.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:06
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lol Jul 25, 2016

Is it some kind of new rule to post only questions that alow 183 different answers and suggest 3 possible answers to vote? This question is perfectly answerable, put totally undue in a Quick Poll kind of thing where the percentage of the answers is counted.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
random things Jul 26, 2016

1. You have to always be very careful with new clients and colleagues, even if they seem to be very kind/respected/well-known etc.
And you shall always have a B plan, because even the most reliable colleague can be sick, have a car accident, whatever may happen in the life, the deadline promised (or whatever promise to did) to the client shall be always met. There fore, it is better to make a realistic promises even if the clients push you towards impossible.

2. If anything ru
... See more
1. You have to always be very careful with new clients and colleagues, even if they seem to be very kind/respected/well-known etc.
And you shall always have a B plan, because even the most reliable colleague can be sick, have a car accident, whatever may happen in the life, the deadline promised (or whatever promise to did) to the client shall be always met. There fore, it is better to make a realistic promises even if the clients push you towards impossible.

2. If anything ruins, you are all by yourself and you can rely on yourself only.

3. If the client cheated you once, he will (try to) do the same again (even if he says it was the one and only time, never again, blah-blah-blah)

(The addition of my son who walked into my room a saw this: Mum, there was a famous sentence in the movie "The Saw".)

"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

4. You can exploit yourself but the consequences are more expensive than the money you gained with your work.

5. Respect others to be respected. (surround yourself with people who are smarter than you to create a good group. Diversity is always very good if you can manage the differences. There is no need to be a leader. What is important to be a solid cornerstone.)

6. NOTHING is dearest than the family.

[Edited at 2016-07-26 06:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-07-26 06:45 GMT]
Collapse

Leticia Klemetz, CT
Leticia Klemetz, CT  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Spanish
+ ...
I agree! Jul 26, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

1. Never accept more than you can chew...

2. Never put all your eggs in one basket...

[Edited at 2016-07-25 08:55 GMT]

And I would add to that, being flexible with my schedules. Thus, having other income-producing projects to work on to fill in the gaps where translation some day may be on low-volume.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is the most important lesson that you have learned as a translator?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »