Poll: In the last six months, your rates per word have...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 20, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In the last six months, your rates per word have...".

This poll was originally submitted by Vito Smolej. View the poll results »

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:03
Russian to English
+ ...
Rates have risen, Jul 20, 2016

volume dropped. Don't you think there is proportional relationship between the two, unfortunately.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:03
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Jul 20, 2016

They do not change often. New customers new rates, old customers old rates

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Professional goal Jul 20, 2016

LilianNekipelov wrote:

volume dropped. Don't you think there is proportional relationship between the two, unfortunately.

Probably, but I also think that it makes more business sense to work less for more or less the same income than the other way around. Aside from the obvious advantages, it means having more time to dedicate to the projects we do have, thus ensuring the best quality

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I meant inversely proportional relationship, Jul 20, 2016

I guess. When the rates rise, the volume drops. Of course, it makes much more sense to work at fair rates, perhaps the only sense there is in professional translation, other than pure love for the art, otherwise.

[Edited at 2016-07-20 09:04 GMT]

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:03
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The same, unfortunately Jul 20, 2016

I have not been able to really increase my rates, but I have not lowered them either.

I am often contacted by new clients (via Proz) offering ridiculous rates, and I refer them to my published rates, just in case they missed them...

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The same Jul 20, 2016

For my "regulars" my rates were raised 2/3 years ago and I intend to continue to serve my existing client base at current prices. For new clients I have been quoting on a per-project basis rather than a per-word basis. In the meanwhile, I'll stand firm against the constant pressure to lower my rates...

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates go up and down Jul 20, 2016

This topic makes for good conversation over coffee. Ergo, it's not a serious topic because there are too many variables propping rates or depressing them, for different language pairs and different geographies and domains (specializations, like medicine, voiceover transcripts and finance).

Asking if one's rates go up or down is like asking the average electrician if the cost of a yard or meter of 14-gauge sheathed wire for indoor installation is affecting his livelihood.

... See more
This topic makes for good conversation over coffee. Ergo, it's not a serious topic because there are too many variables propping rates or depressing them, for different language pairs and different geographies and domains (specializations, like medicine, voiceover transcripts and finance).

Asking if one's rates go up or down is like asking the average electrician if the cost of a yard or meter of 14-gauge sheathed wire for indoor installation is affecting his livelihood.

Think. Think. Think.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The same Jul 20, 2016

My rates remained the same for old customers. Now, new customers are a different story altogether.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:03
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The same Jul 21, 2016

My rates have been the same for almost three years now (in USD, EUR - in BRL readjustments are required, but they are merely restatements not real raises).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In the last six months, your rates per word have...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »