Poll: Would you call being a translator/interpreter exciting?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 15, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you call being a translator/interpreter exciting?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends on the job Jul 15, 2016

I can get excited about my material when it's interesting. I find language itself exciting. And I can get really excited when I get paid for a large job.

Some people think my work must be exciting. Back in pre-Internet days, I traveled to about 20 different countries translating at conferences. Now *that* was exciting!

I can be very *un*excited about translating a PDF or a PowerPoint file.

All in all, I'd say that "satisfying" would a better word.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hear, hear! Jul 15, 2016

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I can get excited about my material when it's interesting. I find language itself exciting. And I can get really excited when I get paid for a large job.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 17:18
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
beyond what you imagine Jul 15, 2016

Totally agree with Muriel, I encounter something never imagined through this occupation and if you like going out you can also do that.

Looking back, learning to avoid pitfalls and unwanted going around is also sign of me growing. Feeling myself at least a bit mature than 5 years ago is certainly good to know, at least I could not have gotten that insight if I kept working at financial institution or law firm inhouse. I also understand my work style may look boring to someone who lo
... See more
Totally agree with Muriel, I encounter something never imagined through this occupation and if you like going out you can also do that.

Looking back, learning to avoid pitfalls and unwanted going around is also sign of me growing. Feeling myself at least a bit mature than 5 years ago is certainly good to know, at least I could not have gotten that insight if I kept working at financial institution or law firm inhouse. I also understand my work style may look boring to someone who loves to drink with clients or compete for billion dollar contracts.
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:18
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes Jul 15, 2016

For me anyway. But it really depends on your particular dispostion, taste and maybe even age - and other things too

[Edited at 2016-07-15 13:17 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Er, no Jul 15, 2016

Unprotected sex on a unicycle dangling from a bungee rope 200 feet above crocodile infested rapids in cannibal country is what I'd call exciting

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:18
English to Russian
+ ...
it depends on the project Jul 15, 2016

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I can get excited about my material when it's interesting.

It's particularly true for transcreation and writing jobs.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No, not really Jul 15, 2016

I find it interesting, but not exciting. Just think, you get up in the morning and are excited the whole day long, must be tiring after a while, and it would probably also wear offf at some point.

But that dangling thing of Chris, well, that does sound interesting.....

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe I need to get out more Jul 15, 2016

Have you ever noticed that glazed look that comes over people's faces when you regale them with a tale of something you've found out through translation (without infringing intellectual property rights of course) or a particilarly tricky translation point that you dealt with? Remember, you may find it exciting, but not everyone will.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In two ways Jul 15, 2016

As an iterpreter I had a lot more 'adventures' than as a translator. I worked in engineering construction sites, meetings with important people, some nice events, etc.

But since I quit interpreting, it became a lot less 'exciting'. I still think we have access to some very important and sensitive information, at least I translate some documents that could put me in jail if I disclosed them. So, the excitement is not Zero, but no big deal either.

telefpro
telefpro
Local time: 13:48
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My passion, but not much of money Jul 16, 2016

I like translating and interpreting. In spite of my professional qualification, I am deeply enamoured by it. Will continue to pursue this passion of mine, but I discovered that there is no much money in this line. So the excitement is subdued.

[Edited at 2016-07-16 07:48 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Would you call being a translator/interpreter exciting?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »