Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you determined a certain day of the week on which you don't accept any work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 14, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you determined a certain day of the week on which you don't accept any work?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilak raj. View the poll results »

Pieter Beens
Pieter Beens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
Yes Jul 14, 2016

I don't work on Sunday (and only in rare circumstances on Saturday).
I can manage my workload within 5 days (and on Saturday if really necessary), but Sunday is a day of worship and family matters.
I'm glad to have such a day: it enables me to take time off, to relax and to re-charge for a new week.
As a matter of fact most of my clients follow the same path: they are off during the weekend and start the week on Monday with fresh tasks.

Ana Vozone
Ana Vozone  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:52
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, but... Jul 14, 2016

... being "my own boss", I usually organize my work so that I have some days off completely.

So, I do not have a "fixed" day, but frequently take days off, which is, needless to say, very pleasant.

Just like the bumpersticker: I love my boss, I love my job,
... See more
... being "my own boss", I usually organize my work so that I have some days off completely.

So, I do not have a "fixed" day, but frequently take days off, which is, needless to say, very pleasant.

Just like the bumpersticker: I love my boss, I love my job, I'm self employed!

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/410582299/i_love_my_boss_i_love_my_job_im_self_employed.jpg?width=225&height=225&Filters=[{"name":"background","value":"F2F2F2","sequence":2}]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jul 14, 2016

I usually only refuse work if I'm physically (and mentally) unable to take on any more, or if the deadline is unworkable for me. I may take a day offi-ish in the next week or so, but that probably means doing at least some work in the morning before heading for the beach around midday. I like my job

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 09:52
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
6 hours 7 days Jul 14, 2016

Just trying. Normally I love to work 6 hours a day, spend 2 hours for responding to some 70 emails (problem, somewhere between work and non-work hours, or I use these hours to adjust PC environment or so).

If you put in 7 days with 6 hours work, that is something close to 5 days 8 hours.

It is a good idea to reduce your emails, to keep more time for yourself.

It is summer time and I sense workload piling a bit to cover up maybe for others.
I admit
... See more
Just trying. Normally I love to work 6 hours a day, spend 2 hours for responding to some 70 emails (problem, somewhere between work and non-work hours, or I use these hours to adjust PC environment or so).

If you put in 7 days with 6 hours work, that is something close to 5 days 8 hours.

It is a good idea to reduce your emails, to keep more time for yourself.

It is summer time and I sense workload piling a bit to cover up maybe for others.
I admit I am slow these days compared to usual
due to this hot hot summer humidity hours and just had a sorry edit request sprees
due to both side's misunderstanding,
but well, it is summer and my small guilt melted into the temperature,
urgency just does not suit well.

To the question, no but I try not to cram my weekends with work when I work full 8 hours in weekdays!

Everyone says it is self employment but since I am only working according to client's timeline so I do not think the timeline benefit it that large. (you can refuse urgent or unwanted jobs though)

[2016-07-14 08:48 GMTに編集されました]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes or no, depending on how pedantic I'm being Jul 14, 2016

Slightly concerned that the question assumes only one day off a week.

Do you 24/7 translators realise just how selfish you are, taking that much work? There are translators out there whose children are starving because of you.

I, on the other hand, don't work weekends and normally take another day off during the week. All for the good of the translation community.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No Jul 14, 2016

My days off are as flexible as my working days…

Jon Hedemann
Jon Hedemann  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
On weekends (obviously...) Jul 14, 2016

On two days, actually... Saturday (family day / day of relaxation) and Sunday (day of prayer)

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
English to French
weekends Jul 14, 2016

I tend to keep them for finishing translations, travelling to interpreting meetings, relaxation, sport and having a weekly break. I'm not always strict about it, but I try to maintain a healthy work and leisure balance to have a better translation performance during the week.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:52
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Er.... Jul 14, 2016

Whenever I don't want to work or don't have any work to do. I'm just applying the notion of "free" in freelancer.

Otherwise, I make a point of not working on the day of the half crescent moon every other month when I have to make a live sacrifice to my local Ju Ju orisha god of translation to keep bad customers away. It's not nice working with chicken feathers and everything all over the keyboard.

[Edited at 2016-07-14 16:32 GMT]

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
Er ... Jul 14, 2016

I might very well accept work on a Sunday with the intention of doing it on Monday.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
yes... Jul 14, 2016

the weekend!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
other Jul 14, 2016

Same as Julian, "Whenever I don't want to work or don't have any work to do. I'm just applying the notion of "free" in freelancer."

And Sundays is the best time to work because if the church is allowed to open then, then I can as well, but seriously the weekends are the best time to work. And who cares when the work comes, as long as it does.
Time management
I also have more than enough time for my family.

Hey, when did they add this images upload option?

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Jul 14, 2016

Saturdays and Sundays I don't work until 2 pm.

The rest is flexible.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Working on a day and accepting work on that day Jul 14, 2016

I may decide not to WORK on a day, but if somebody offers me a wonderful job or simply a stable client sends work to me, I will ACCEPT it to do it later, of course. But I have no regular day off: when I am fed up, I just stop.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you determined a certain day of the week on which you don't accept any work?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »