MarinaM
MarinaM  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sometimes Jun 29, 2016

Hi!

I use text mining (including concordance) software for large projects.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:42
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Amazing! Jun 29, 2016

Anton Konashenok wrote:

I don't even use glossaries - never felt the need to write down what I can simply memorize.

Of course! Why didn't I think of that? My term base has only 27,000 terms and expressions, and they are all technical terms, not things like "house" or "mother". I can memorize them and save some space in my HD right?

In fact, I'm getting rid of my telephone and e-mail lists as well. I can memorize all numbers and addresses too.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:42
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No Jun 29, 2016

I collect terms and use glossaries, but I find it far easier to find and enter them myself, especially as they can be added almost instantly from Trados Studio as they appear in a text. Now edited with notes and context as required.

I also add long strings to my glossary to save typing, and I am not sure a term extractor would recognise them.

These terms often originate from paper sources or websites, or other forms that are not easily 'inserted' for processing in a ter
... See more
I collect terms and use glossaries, but I find it far easier to find and enter them myself, especially as they can be added almost instantly from Trados Studio as they appear in a text. Now edited with notes and context as required.

I also add long strings to my glossary to save typing, and I am not sure a term extractor would recognise them.

These terms often originate from paper sources or websites, or other forms that are not easily 'inserted' for processing in a term extractor - though I don't honestly know how they work.
Collapse

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
What is it? Jun 29, 2016

You ask the tool to extract the terms from a selected text or project and it basically checks for words that are repeated x number of times (this can be changed in the settings). Usually it's 3. You can adjust the number of characters in the selected words or phrases too. Once the tool has finished extracting, the thing gives you a list of 'candidate terms' which you can accept or reject. Once you've done that, you can click 'export to termbase' or something similar and all the terms you accepte... See more
You ask the tool to extract the terms from a selected text or project and it basically checks for words that are repeated x number of times (this can be changed in the settings). Usually it's 3. You can adjust the number of characters in the selected words or phrases too. Once the tool has finished extracting, the thing gives you a list of 'candidate terms' which you can accept or reject. Once you've done that, you can click 'export to termbase' or something similar and all the terms you accepted go into a termbase of your choosing.

I think it's quite obvious from these criteria that you'll have lots of 'you', 'and', 'in' etc. as we use these words most... Which means you can spend ages going through the list. On the other side, obscure things (which you might want in your termbase for a next time because you won't remember, as the term was, as I said, 'obscure') won't flag as a potential term because they aren't repeated the set number of times because, again, they are obscure. Of course you can set the required number of repeats for a candidate term to be selected to lower than 3, but then you'll end up going through practically every single word and phrase in the text...

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I didn't try the MemoQ thing, but it's basically my opinion.

From what I've experienced from toying around with Multiterm Extract/PhraseFinder or whatever SDL used to call them, I gather they may be helpful on large projects with ample deadlines and direct contact with an end customer: you create a glossary with recurring words and expressions of major importance before starting translation and submit it to the end customer for review and approval.

Then you have a reliable glossary before actually starting the translation, which can be handy to avoid post-translation term changes and time-wasting.

But these tools often require a lot of manual checking/validating, so I'd say that below 100kwords, there is little point spending time on term extraction, and on-the-fly termbase-populating (how'sthat?) is usually the most time-effective and reliable method.

You can also use them to build glossaries from legacy material, like TMs or bilingual docs, where candidate target terms are also extracted and matched to source. With the same limitations.

To me it's mainly a tool for agencies or the proverbial "terminologists", but I understand that software companies want freelance translators to believe that it saves them time.

I think I'd lose the will to live if I had to go through a term-extraction list for a 100k job... Though I would contemplate aligning and then using LiveDocs in MemoQ with on-the-fly concordance instead (SDL must have it too: it's a corpus of bilingual or monolingual texts you select to work with in your project. It basically works like a TM without being a TM).

Someone else said something about the translator knowing best what should be in the termbase. I agree... What I've seen in glossaries from agencies... I mentioned the word 'and' for a reason... In my mind they just go 'extract terms' and then 'export to termbase' without looking over the list.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:42
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ouch! Jun 29, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Makes me think of sitting in the dentist's chair...

Lol!

Ravi Kumar
Ravi Kumar
India
Local time: 02:12
Japanese to English
+ ...
Good term extractors Jun 30, 2016

Please suggest accurate term extractors that are free or reasonably priced. I have not come across a term extractor that works efficiently for the Japanese language as yet.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use term extraction tools?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »