https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/302221-poll_if_you_were_reborn_would_you_like_to_be_a_linguist_translator_again.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: If you were reborn, would you like to be a linguist/translator again?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 19, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you were reborn, would you like to be a linguist/translator again?".

This poll was originally submitted by Basit Ijaz. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 19, 2016

Probably, yes, but it would depend on what the other options were. It might be nice to be, for example, a millionaire, billionaire or squillionaire of some kind... As long as I didn't end up looking (and/or behaving etc) like, say, a certain Mr trumpet.

Laura Pascual
Laura Pascual  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:38
Finnish to Spanish
+ ...
??? May 19, 2016

You know you don't need to be reborn in order to change careers if you are not happy, right?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hear, hear! May 19, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Probably, yes, but it would depend on what the other options were. It might be nice to be, for example, a millionaire, billionaire or squillionaire of some kind... As long as I didn't end up looking (and/or behaving etc) like, say, a certain Mr trumpet.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 19:38
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Depends May 19, 2016

Laura Pascual wrote:

You know you don't need to be reborn in order to change careers if you are not happy, right?

Laura's partially right.

In today's world it is not necessarily a comfortable place to work for women, with long working hours,
long and hectic commuting train, and your partners or family members are not likely to help you with chores as they are also busy with extremely long working hours. Once you are pregnant, well, pregnancy harrassment starts, or even you are the one who harrass people with stern words - who go home early leaving you with workloads every day with no excuses!

You don't give up "paying work" with maternity/paternity leave
but leaving offices for quite a while, years, means end of your "career path".
You might end up boring in-house clerk job after having child even you had an interesting position before.

I also have some particulars that I absolutely need to avoid (sound, heat, atmosphere, people suddenly coming in, phone etc) and in order to achieve everything there was not much choice left.

If reborn into better times with even better health, you might want to try out other profession that are new to those day's world. Also you have chances of receiving education of other subject matter with increased emphasis on, say, technology?

At least I am curious when translation job and freelancing started in modern days - thank goodness I have internet!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Different question May 19, 2016

Laura Pascual wrote:

While that's true, I read the Q as more of a philosophical and hypothetical point, with an implied (but no doubt cut for reasons of space) "knowing what you know now, if you had your time over, would you go down the same path" type of angle. Not a "do you want to change paths now?" type of angle.

For my part, I often used to wish (less so, perhaps, these days) that I had studied linguistics at university (instead of business). Hence I could answer "yes" to "would you like to be a linguist" - but for the first time, not "again", as I'm not a linguist now, despite the inaccurate use of the word to designate anyone who can order a beer in a foreign language.

Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't be a translator again, however.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes May 19, 2016

But I might go about it in a slightly different way, avoiding some of the pitfalls that got me this time around.

Rita Utt
Rita Utt  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
No May 19, 2016

I do like my job, but I think the profession as a whole is getting more and more "industrialized", so it won't be fun any longer in my next life.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I do not believe in Reincarnation May 19, 2016

But if I could live my own life over again with the knowledge I have now, my translation career would not be on the top of the list of things to change.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're born, you live, then you die. The end. May 19, 2016

As philosophical and religious questions go, this is sort of lightweight. As Laura indicated, there is no need for a rebirth if you aren't happy with your lot (or job choices) in life. It is not as if your decisions as a human being are wholly subject to just one biological variable (birth).

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:38
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Perhaps May 19, 2016

I liked the question. It's asking: Would you do it all over again? Not the same as Do you want to change your career?

I have enjoyed the ride and I have no regrets in this lifetime, but I was too focused on security to try out some of my other interests. Sometimes I wish I had trained as a scientist: a zoologist, a botanist, or a veterinarian, to work with real critters in their native habitat.

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hear hear May 19, 2016

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I liked the question. It's asking: Would you do it all over again? Not the same as Do you want to change your career?

I have enjoyed the ride and I have no regrets in this lifetime, but I was too focused on security to try out some of my other interests. Sometimes I wish I had trained as a scientist: a zoologist, a botanist, or a veterinarian, to work with real critters in their native habitat.

I always wanted to be an astronaut. I still do. Love to visit Mars or whatever and see everything from there.

Martha Schwan
Martha Schwan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Reborn Rich May 19, 2016

If I were reborn, I would like to be in a rich family.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You’re probably right! May 19, 2016

Rita Utt wrote:

I do like my job, but I think the profession as a whole is getting more and more "industrialized", so it won't be fun any longer in my next life.

I see myself more as an artisan of words than as an industrial…

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 19:38
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Most probably May 19, 2016

Fate brought me here and it would probably do it again. However, there are some business- or career-related decisions I would like not to have done or I should have executed differently.

Of course, being 'clairvoyant' and being able to remember certain events in the future - especially the numbers of the lottery every week - would come in handy, too.

[Edited at 2016-05-19 11:37 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you were reborn, would you like to be a linguist/translator again?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »