https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/302221-poll_if_you_were_reborn_would_you_like_to_be_a_linguist_translator_again-page3.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: If you were reborn, would you like to be a linguist/translator again?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:05
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I was going to get my pilot's certificate when I grew up... May 19, 2016

... and fly off just when I felt like it. I suspect it would not be a bit the way I imagined, and you DO have to keep the rules, not infringe other countries' air space, land properly and obey the flight tower. An anarchist like me would soon get into trouble.

Whether I would be a translator again depends. The world has changed a lot since I started. It would not be the same the next time around. But what else I would do, having tried a lot of different things...? I also have to adm
... See more
... and fly off just when I felt like it. I suspect it would not be a bit the way I imagined, and you DO have to keep the rules, not infringe other countries' air space, land properly and obey the flight tower. An anarchist like me would soon get into trouble.

Whether I would be a translator again depends. The world has changed a lot since I started. It would not be the same the next time around. But what else I would do, having tried a lot of different things...? I also have to admit that most of my dreams, like the flying, would never have worked out.

I too have lived on the advice the headmistress gave when I left school:
You can't always do what you like. You have to like what you do.

So I have taken the chances that came, and tried to stick at them and make something out of them. Some I should probably have grasped earlier, and perhaps been less stubborn about holding on to others.
I don't regret much, but starting to translate earlier might have been a good idea, if it had been possible. For the first time, I actually seemed to have landed in the right place, and I was nearly 50!

What would have happened if I had gone to Germany with a friend from college 30 years earlier, instead of funking out at the last minute? Would I have ended up translating from German instead of Danish?

Would I do it all again? I think so. Would I have the benefit of hindsight, and what other options might there be?
Who knows?
Collapse

Giuseppe Gallotta
Giuseppe Gallotta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Where's the "it depends" answer? May 19, 2016

It depends:

- on the context (always does)
- on who I would be after being reborn
- on how I would be after being reborn
- on where I would have reborn
- on many other factors

I don't know my "new" self, so I don't have enough data to answer. The question needs to be way more specific.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you were reborn, would you like to be a linguist/translator again?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »