Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: If you were reborn, would you like to be a linguist/translator again?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 04:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Probably, yes! May 19, 2016

I have changed careers several times during my work life… until translation found me! That’s really the profession that suits me best. Would I do it again? Who knows? Probably yes…

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:27
French to English
Perhaps May 19, 2016

Laura Pascual wrote:

You know you don't need to be reborn in order to change careers if you are not happy, right?

Were I to be given a magic wand, I'd have signed up for med school. Which does not mean I have regrets, although with the benefit of hindsight, there are some things I'd do quite differently now. I've made choices along the way, "playing" the cards I held at the time and with the experience at that time, together with the person I am, not to mention zillions of other factors over which one has strictly no influence.

Thereafter, I am in the process of making a career change, again as a result of all the factors mentionned above, many of which shift. I suspect I will always be translating/interpreting.

Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, if ... May 19, 2016

Yes, I would be a translator again if I were reborn with the brain and abilities I have now, but if, Bhuddist-wise, I were reborn as a slug, ant, duck-billed platypus, etc., then probably not ...

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
It depends on the age May 19, 2016

Laura Pascual wrote:

You know you don't need to be reborn in order to change careers if you are not happy, right?

Too late for me, next time I would like to be a public prosecutor (speaking at least 3 languages, of course)

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Possibly May 19, 2016

Aside from writing, translating was "only" my second choice. If I could start over again, I'd become a pilot in a new life. And pilots do speak more than one language.

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:27
French to English
Yes, a linguist AND.... May 19, 2016

... a jazz singer,
a dancer,
a faster runner,
a narrator,
an essayist and short story writer,
a field biologist,
an illustrator,
a multi-instrumentalist,
and a kinder, more thoughtful person.

Well I guess that about wraps it up Thanks for the clarity break (pause-clarté)

[Edited at 2016-05-19 13:42 GMT]

EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Reborn? What a horrible idea May 19, 2016

I find it difficult enough to live once.

Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Slovak to English
I actually like being a translator May 19, 2016

BUT, if I had the chance to do things over again I would most definitely wish to be born into a rich family. Not stupid rich like the Hiltons, because who would ever want to be any of them, but rich with some semblance of humanity and well, let’s say it, humility.

Money does not buy happiness, but at least it gets you a roof over your head and you don’t have the existential crap to worry about.

I may not actually change my profession, though. I do enjoy rendering th
... See more
BUT, if I had the chance to do things over again I would most definitely wish to be born into a rich family. Not stupid rich like the Hiltons, because who would ever want to be any of them, but rich with some semblance of humanity and well, let’s say it, humility.

Money does not buy happiness, but at least it gets you a roof over your head and you don’t have the existential crap to worry about.

I may not actually change my profession, though. I do enjoy rendering the thoughts of one language into another, and having it flow beautifully. So much for MT ar**hol***!!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.

Chie. I  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:27
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Recurring Universe May 19, 2016

Nietzsche said it recurs (not really but at least be prepared for it) and physics also mentioned we might (with the twist of the time going into the same phase in time and again, again, and again). I am confident I enjoy next life as translator even if there are options that are equally interesting to me.

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2012)
French to English
A born again translator May 19, 2016

What a lovely idea!

Khanda
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
No May 19, 2016

If I were reborn, I'd like to be a witch.

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
As I'm listening to a jazz record… May 19, 2016

…I'm thinking: I would like to go back in time, take up an instrument and produce beautiful music!

Religious and philosophical sensibilities aside, let's look at it in a prosaic (or scientific way): Why do humans entertain what-if scenarios, alternate realities, hypothetical lives? Because we can dream and imagine.

I bet science still doesn't know if we are the only species capable of imagining worlds and realities other than our own, but it's fun speculating about it
... See more
…I'm thinking: I would like to go back in time, take up an instrument and produce beautiful music!

Religious and philosophical sensibilities aside, let's look at it in a prosaic (or scientific way): Why do humans entertain what-if scenarios, alternate realities, hypothetical lives? Because we can dream and imagine.

I bet science still doesn't know if we are the only species capable of imagining worlds and realities other than our own, but it's fun speculating about it.

But time travel or rebirth are both impractical. Not just that, they can be even viewed as immoral or unethical. Why? Because if I go back in time or if I'm reborn and choose law or medicine, then my decisions will cause ripples in other peoples' lives without their knowledge or permission, and I don't think I have the right to do that. Ever.
Collapse

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:27
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ok to be a linguist again May 19, 2016

However, I hope it will be in another plantet, and as a better race than a human.

Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:27
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other public May 19, 2016

Laura Pascual wrote:

I think the question was for quite an opposite public, Laura, that is, for those that love it so much they would like to do it all over again, not for the ones who don't like it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you were reborn, would you like to be a linguist/translator again?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search