https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/302173-poll_i_am_a_translator_based_in.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: I am a translator based in...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 18, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I am a translator based in...".

This poll was originally submitted by HERLANIO FERNANDES. View the poll results »

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
French to English
Objective May 18, 2016

As this poll comes from site staff, I suppose that localisation stats are available and/or known. Is the aim of this poll to find out where those who answer polls are located?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:48
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm based in Europe May 18, 2016

I live in Portugal since September last year, before that I lived in Belgium for 30 years. All my professional life as a translator has been based in Europe. I was based in Africa (Angola) for a few years, but by then my translator's life hadn't started yet...

Marieke Schoutens (X)
Marieke Schoutens (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Travelling May 18, 2016

What about location independence?

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 21:48
English to Vietnamese
I am a translator based in Vietnam May 18, 2016

I am a translator based in Hanoi, Vietnam.

Hi everyone! Greetings from Vietnam

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Simple curiosity May 18, 2016

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

As this poll comes from site staff, I suppose that localisation stats are available and/or known. Is the aim of this poll to find out where those who answer polls are located?

You make it sound as if it were "the staff" who needs to know. That's not how I perceive it at all.

Aren't the polls a from us - for us feature, provided by participating ProZ translators? I, for one, don't answer the polls because "ProZ staff members need to know". I am simply curious. And because I like to find out "stuff" about my fellow translators, I also think it's fair to share.

Would I want to find out facts like these about my ProZ colleagues, I would have to look it up in a tediously cumbersome way. A poll is a nice, quick alternative.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
New here? May 18, 2016

Katrin Bosse wrote:

Aren't the polls a from us - for us feature, provided by participating ProZ translators?

I think it's well-established that ProZ polls are part of a global data-gathering conspiracy hatched by Nigerian double-glazing companies.

Daniela Slankamenac
Daniela Slankamenac  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
:D May 18, 2016

Chris S wrote:

I think it's well-established that ProZ polls are part of a global data-gathering conspiracy hatched by Nigerian double-glazing companies.

lol

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 20:18
English to Tamil
+ ...
I'm based in Asia! May 18, 2016

I am based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu state, India. Chennai is a metropolitan and cosmopolitan city. Tha capital of Tamil Nadu state. One of the four important metros in India (Other metros: New Delhi, Kolkatha and Mumbai). Chennai is an ideal place for interpreters and translators to live as well as to work. Chennai has atlleast 10 wonderful and big libraries (Connemara Public Library, Anna Centenary Library, Devaneya Paavaanar Library, American Consulate Library, British Council Library, Max Muell... See more
I am based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu state, India. Chennai is a metropolitan and cosmopolitan city. Tha capital of Tamil Nadu state. One of the four important metros in India (Other metros: New Delhi, Kolkatha and Mumbai). Chennai is an ideal place for interpreters and translators to live as well as to work. Chennai has atlleast 10 wonderful and big libraries (Connemara Public Library, Anna Centenary Library, Devaneya Paavaanar Library, American Consulate Library, British Council Library, Max Mueller Bhavan Library, Russian Cultural Centre Library, Roja Muthiah Research Library, University of Madras' Library). Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:48
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
What about ... May 18, 2016

Australia and New Zealand - don't they count?

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:48
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
North America May 18, 2016

Greetings from Washington, D.C.!

By the way:

Chris S wrote:

Katrin Bosse wrote:

Aren't the polls a from us - for us feature, provided by participating ProZ translators?

Don't we all LOVE conspiracy theories?!

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 20:18
English to Tamil
+ ...
Oceania! May 18, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Australia and New Zealand do count. They come under "Oceania"!!!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
Those geography lessons... May 18, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

And I was going to say “What about other planets?”

Maybe it's Pick a poll and take leave of your senses Day.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:48
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
In olden times May 18, 2016

when Great Britain was the center of the world and the known universe, Japan was, and probably may well be, located at the far right of the map - where the water falls off the edge.

Every day when I wake up, I still have that sinking feeling. A good cuppa tea staves off any anxiety before I fire up the PC and shove it into overdrive.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:48
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
South America May 18, 2016

And I never pretended to live in North America or Europe, in any site/network, like... well let's just put a period here.

Sundar Gopalakrishnan wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Australia and New Zealand do count. They come under "Oceania"!!!

I haven't heard of the term "Oceania" very commonly among English-speaking friends. I believe they know it as "South Pacific" or simply "Australia". Hence the question.

[Edited at 2016-05-18 17:01 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I am a translator based in...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »