https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/302173-poll_i_am_a_translator_based_in-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: I am a translator based in...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Australasia May 18, 2016

Sundar Gopalakrishnan wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Australia and New Zealand - don't they count?

Australia and New Zealand do count. They come under "Oceania"!!!

Authorities differ about what constitutes Oceania which is more usually understood to mean all the islands in the Pacific, while Australia, New Zealand and New Guinea are jointly called Australasia.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
LOL indeed May 18, 2016

Daniela Slankamenac wrote:

Chris S wrote:

I think it's well-established that ProZ polls are part of a global data-gathering conspiracy hatched by Nigerian double-glazing companies.

lol

I say we definitely need a "like" or "LOL" button for Chris's one-liners, as they invariably cheer me up

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
I find the poll interesting May 18, 2016

and surprised we are such a majority from Europe

Arek Luczyk
Arek Luczyk
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Those were the days May 18, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

when Great Britain was the center of the world and the known universe, Japan was, and probably may well be, located at the far right of the map - where the water falls off the edge.

Right... the sun never goes down on the British empire

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Well yes! May 18, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Katrin Bosse wrote:

Aren't the polls a from us - for us feature, provided by participating ProZ translators?

I think it's well-established that ProZ polls are part of a global data-gathering conspiracy hatched by Nigerian double-glazing companies.

The polls are a fun tool which generate discussion which are sometimes quite stimulating and sometimes, hey, they are even fun!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jenny May 18, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Sundar Gopalakrishnan wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Australia and New Zealand - don't they count?

Australia and New Zealand do count. They come under "Oceania"!!!

Authorities differ about what constitutes Oceania which is more usually understood to mean all the islands in the Pacific, while Australia, New Zealand and New Guinea are jointly called Australasia.

Considering the poster's name (Fernandes), I'd say he is Brazilian. In Brasil, we call "Australasia" "Oceania". This is likely why he added that as a continent.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
So am I May 19, 2016

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

and surprised we are such a majority from Europe

Yesterday, I though it was because our colleagues in America were still sleeping, but it didn't change. Is it because Americans do not participate in polls?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I am a translator based in...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »