https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/302077-poll_are_you_good_at_other_subjects_besides_languages.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you good at other subjects, besides languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 16, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you good at other subjects, besides languages?".

This poll was originally submitted by Francesca Battaglia. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not really May 16, 2016

At school, I was rubbish at maths and not great at science. Nowadays, I'm older and (supposedly) wiser, and my knowledge in general seems to be sufficient for me to make a living translating, revising and post-editing texts whose content I sometimes know little or nothing about (fuzzy logic is one area springs that to mind).

I tend not to like things I don't immediately understand, and don't really enjoy doing things I find difficult, but I always enjoyed language/s, which is probab
... See more
At school, I was rubbish at maths and not great at science. Nowadays, I'm older and (supposedly) wiser, and my knowledge in general seems to be sufficient for me to make a living translating, revising and post-editing texts whose content I sometimes know little or nothing about (fuzzy logic is one area springs that to mind).

I tend not to like things I don't immediately understand, and don't really enjoy doing things I find difficult, but I always enjoyed language/s, which is probably why I did better in them and eventually chose an all-language line of study (French, German, Russian and eventually Spanish, which I didn't really study formally, although it's now my main working source).
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:07
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes May 16, 2016

I was always in the top five of the entire year of 150 or so kids in physics, chemistry and biology. I guess this is why I have been translating for industry for the past 30+ years.

Abdelhalim Zeid
Abdelhalim Zeid  Identity Verified
Egypt
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Writing! May 16, 2016

I do not consider "languages" is a "subject" but it is actually a skill. So, I will deal with the question on both sides. First, discussing the skills and secondly the subjects.

Writing! I know they are very related or even close but I mean writing from scratch. I am very imaginative and I can write stories out of nowhere. I can also write very organized articles and I have had very successful experiences in the past. If I could get paid better, around 10 years ago for the fact that
... See more
I do not consider "languages" is a "subject" but it is actually a skill. So, I will deal with the question on both sides. First, discussing the skills and secondly the subjects.

Writing! I know they are very related or even close but I mean writing from scratch. I am very imaginative and I can write stories out of nowhere. I can also write very organized articles and I have had very successful experiences in the past. If I could get paid better, around 10 years ago for the fact that I am a gifted writer, I think I could go on. But, I still enjoy the translation works I am involved in so much.

I also think any translator has some good knowledge at certain subjects not only one subject. The translator who's good in automotive must have enough knowledge in the automotive industries, the one who's good in software, must be a tech-savvy and so on. I have been always a gamer and a sports fan and when I grew older, I have become specialized in both subject fields more than any other subjects because I have got a very cumulative background that has been built in decades.

Still, languages is not a subject.

[Edited at 2016-05-16 08:46 GMT]
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
I replied "No" May 16, 2016

because I am impossible in practical life, but if you mean school subjects, I think I am reasonably good at maths and natural sciences.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:07
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes May 16, 2016

I was a very good student, always in the top five of the class in languages and in mathematics, physics, biology, history, geography… In high school, I had many different interests and did not know what I wanted to major in and it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do career-wise. Though economics was my “first love” (and my academic degree), translation is really my thing as it allows me to touch different subjects I have learned on the way…

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Of course May 16, 2016

I too am very, very brainy and was always top of every class. In sniper training I never missed my man, and I was one of the very first teenagers in Fiji to crack time travel.

I've also picked up a fair knowledge of economics along the way which is generally of more direct relevance to my translation work. But I'm sure I could get along without it, like most of my competition. Miaow.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:07
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes May 16, 2016

I think I'm pretty well-rounded. I got good grades across the board in school; I've been studying forestry, horticulture, and landscape design for 7 years (enough credits for a master's degree) and have had a few clients; and I enjoy learning about a wide variety of subjects in the translations I do. I also published a memoir and write a blog (www.findingmyinvinciblesummer.info). I engage in sev... See more
I think I'm pretty well-rounded. I got good grades across the board in school; I've been studying forestry, horticulture, and landscape design for 7 years (enough credits for a master's degree) and have had a few clients; and I enjoy learning about a wide variety of subjects in the translations I do. I also published a memoir and write a blog (www.findingmyinvinciblesummer.info). I engage in several intellectual activities unrelated to translation. And I have an artistic flair.Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Other May 16, 2016

I don't know what criteria the questioner is using to decide on how good someone is at a subject.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:07
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Exactly May 16, 2016

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I don't know what criteria the questioner is using to decide on how good someone is at a subject.

Well, I'm a very good person, says my mom

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Law and accounting May 16, 2016

writing only of I don't need to invent.

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 05:37
English to Tamil
+ ...
Yes! May 16, 2016

I am good at Photography, English literature, Tamil literature, World Music, Cinema, Theatre, Linguistics, American Literature, Sanskrit Literature, Folkloristics, Lexicography, Archeology, Physics, History, Geography, Malayalam Literature, Kannada Literature, Hindi Literature, Bengali Literature, Journalism, Mass Media..........

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Yes May 16, 2016

Yes; law, history, philosophy (in this case more good at than well versed in), to some extent perhaps business and marketing issues as well. I wasn't a bad coder back in the day, either.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 09:07
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
background May 16, 2016

Japanese education especially higher education system is a bit strange one now.

Everyone including those who would have gone to occupation schools if they were in EU area
actually wants and insists to go into some college/ Then the ministry dished out too much PHD for everyone some years ago saying we need more education power - now they need teaching job at higher education to make sense why they increased the number of unwanted PHDs.

There goes the "mechanica
... See more
Japanese education especially higher education system is a bit strange one now.

Everyone including those who would have gone to occupation schools if they were in EU area
actually wants and insists to go into some college/ Then the ministry dished out too much PHD for everyone some years ago saying we need more education power - now they need teaching job at higher education to make sense why they increased the number of unwanted PHDs.

There goes the "mechanical engagement" and a lot of students who are not good at literally anything go into obscure college anyway. We ended up keep asking "from which college?" when you hear someone received four years of higher education because there are so many colleges that are almost empty or teaching junior high school level subject matter and state themselves as colleges!

I am only supposed to be good at language and not even in language compared to my classmates who are the brightest in 100,000,000 people in Japan. at where I was, no one is "good at any language" unless you can laugh in Latin conversation AND can read at least two EU languages besides mother tongue

- but leaving there I know I am even better at science than science students from those scramble made colleges above and extremely positive attitude at any term research. Same goes for legal language plus a marketing.
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes! May 16, 2016

I'm good at dancing, acting, making people laugh and generally showing off ... while at the same time being extremely modest.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you good at other subjects, besides languages?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »