Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What do you think about working at home?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 12, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you think about working at home?".

This poll was originally submitted by Bora Tasdemir. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:25
Member (2006)
German to English
Love it May 12, 2016

It is the best place to work.
It allows us as a family to do a heck of a lot more than if I went somwhere every day

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Love it May 12, 2016

I'd have to be dragged off kicking and screaming to any other kind of workplace now - or paid megabucks.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Love it! May 12, 2016

I have been working at home for the last 10 years and I love it as it fits well with my life at this stage! I worked for 20 years as in-house translator and sometimes for a minute or two – until I remember how hard transport was – I miss the camaraderie, the lunchtime chats, the teamwork... and the help-desk support!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 15:25
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I'm lovin' it May 12, 2016

And, I'm not talking about hamburgers.

I have my own office - study, den or sanctuary, whichever you want to call it. And the commute is 30 seconds tops. I just cannot understand people willing to travel and lose hours of quality time sitting up, or more likely, standing up in a crowded train or on a bus surrounded by other unhappy-looking sweaty people. And, then going to an office where you're going to be in
... See more
And, I'm not talking about hamburgers.

I have my own office - study, den or sanctuary, whichever you want to call it. And the commute is 30 seconds tops. I just cannot understand people willing to travel and lose hours of quality time sitting up, or more likely, standing up in a crowded train or on a bus surrounded by other unhappy-looking sweaty people. And, then going to an office where you're going to be interrupted continuously and be distracted to the point where you can't perform at all.

And, my 'office' gives me a commanding view of Kyoto City. You can't beat that!
Collapse

Agneta Pallinder
Agneta Pallinder  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:25
Member (2014)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Best thing that ever happened to me! May 12, 2016

I went freelance and based myself at home over 20 years ago, when I relocated to the North of England where my London and university based credentials represented overkill as far as local employers were concerned.

A bit scary at first, but very quickly I got to enjoy the variability of the projects I did, the travel they sometimes involved, the many interesting hours spent working on texts and exploring the Internet - and not least the release from the office culture of meetings, me
... See more
I went freelance and based myself at home over 20 years ago, when I relocated to the North of England where my London and university based credentials represented overkill as far as local employers were concerned.

A bit scary at first, but very quickly I got to enjoy the variability of the projects I did, the travel they sometimes involved, the many interesting hours spent working on texts and exploring the Internet - and not least the release from the office culture of meetings, meetings!
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Other May 12, 2016

I love it yes,
but having kids around in the afternoon makes it difficult to work properly
I love it,
but since my wife works till 6 I also have to care about things during my working hours
I love it,
but it seems that because you are home doing this and that for children, wife, mother in law and whoever does not want to do something is effortless for you...

but I have to say I love working at home, mostly when it is raining in winter, when all my CD's
... See more
I love it yes,
I love it,
but since my wife works till 6 I also have to care about things during my working hours
I love it,
but it seems that because you are home doing this and that for children, wife, mother in law and whoever does not want to do something is effortless for you...

but I have to say I love working at home, mostly when it is raining in winter, when all my CD's look at me and ask "which will you choose today?"
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Luckily I like it - it's the most viable option May 12, 2016

I live in a small town where I simply did not succeed in finding a regular job. Commuting to town was a strain, and I really admire people who put up with it year in and year out.

I have always regarded people as a mixed blessing. Of course, I have some wonderful friends and relatives, but inside, think most people are a nuisance. They talk, disturb me and contradict my brilliant opinions. Some smell of perfume and after-shave and trigger my migraine. Definitely keep them at arm's l
... See more
I live in a small town where I simply did not succeed in finding a regular job. Commuting to town was a strain, and I really admire people who put up with it year in and year out.

I have always regarded people as a mixed blessing. Of course, I have some wonderful friends and relatives, but inside, think most people are a nuisance. They talk, disturb me and contradict my brilliant opinions. Some smell of perfume and after-shave and trigger my migraine. Definitely keep them at arm's length or as far away as possible! I was brought up to pretend at least to be friendly and sociable, but it doesn't come naturally...

Even my husband knows when it is best to take a nap or go and potter in the garden and leave me alone.

I love this site and the Internet - I can pretend to be a nice person and then turn them off!
Collapse

Elena Mordenti
Elena Mordenti  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
It's OK at home May 12, 2016

Years ago I worked at the office and sometimes when I remember that time I miss the personal interactions, colleagues with their support and opinions.
On the other hand I agree with Julian about negative aspects he pointed out.

KKastenhuber
KKastenhuber  Identity Verified
Austria
Russian to German
+ ...
Other May 12, 2016

I don't work at home (anymore). I moved to a co-working space about a year ago and haven't regretted the decision ever since. It costs extra money, but I'm a lot more productive this way, I hugely enjoy my co-workers' company, and I'm able to better enjoy my free time.

Sonja Stojkova
Sonja Stojkova
North Macedonia
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Love it May 12, 2016

I love working at home because you are free to do as you please and no one looks over your shoulder

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Love it May 12, 2016

There's no place like home, sweet home (to work at). The greates benefit is that there's no commuting (crowds everywhere, impatient, in a hurry, etc.) ever. And there are no dress codes. Even when you oversleep, you can be at your desk within minutes and without a boss's eyes scolding you for being a bit late. (Unless you scold yourself.)

[Edited at 2016-05-12 13:55 GMT]

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Home? Mostly, but... May 12, 2016

I grab my computer and go down to any given cafe in my neighborhood.

In the summer I'll take a bike ride down to the beach, have a nice Spanish lunch, then break out the work with a coffee as I look out at the sand and waves.

On vacation, and I'll be working in some public place with the local food and drink by my side.

Yeah, I'd say I like it.

ipv
ipv
Member (2015)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hear, hear! May 12, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

I have always regarded people as a mixed blessing. Of course, I have some wonderful friends and relatives, but inside, think most people are a nuisance. They talk, disturb me and contradict my brilliant opinions.

[Edited at 2016-05-12 14:46 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hero May 12, 2016

Gianluca Marras wrote:

I love it yes,
I love it,
I love it,

but I have to say I love working at home, mostly when it is raining in winter, when all my CD's look at me and ask "which will you choose today?"

Hear, hear! Well said, articulate and humorous as well.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you think about working at home?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »