Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which social network is making a professional impact for you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sabine Winter
Sabine Winter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:06
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
ProZ May 8, 2016

Great question. And while I don't consider ProZ a "social network" but rather a professional networking tool, it is the network that actually has made a professional impact for me and brought me some great clients. LinkedIn ranks second, Xing has had zero impact, I rarely make use of Twitter, and I don't utilize my facebook account for professional pursuits. So, ProZ wins hands down.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:06
Member (2015)
German to English
Proz May 8, 2016

I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, I have a profile on LinkedIn and Xing but I don't actively use them.

A number of clients have found me via my proz account though.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
ProZ.com May 8, 2016

Several good clients have contacted me via ProZ, and som via Translator's Café.

Nothing else, but that's all I need.

Hussein Dayow Idow
Hussein Dayow Idow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:06
Somali to English
+ ...
proz doea alot for me May 9, 2016

Though most of my responsive clients come from translatos cafe but I found quite professional to use the profile of ProZ in my applications and quotes.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Where was the "none" option? May 9, 2016

I'm disappointed, Mario

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
...positive or negative impact? May 9, 2016

In the early days of Facebook, it had a considerable negative effect on my professionalism since I ended up translating at night after wasting time during the day.
Proz was very important up to about 4 years ago - at which point the number of nuisance, low-balling emails started exceeding serious offers so much that I had to create a separate folder for them. LinkedIn I use more for networking with other translators and writers, and less to attract clients.
In the past year, though,
... See more
In the early days of Facebook, it had a considerable negative effect on my professionalism since I ended up translating at night after wasting time during the day.
Proz was very important up to about 4 years ago - at which point the number of nuisance, low-balling emails started exceeding serious offers so much that I had to create a separate folder for them. LinkedIn I use more for networking with other translators and writers, and less to attract clients.
In the past year, though, I've been rediscovering the old-fashioned word-of-mouth network- where retiring translators refer me to their their clients. So far this has worked better than any other social network I've tested.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which social network is making a professional impact for you?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »