Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which social network is making a professional impact for you?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff

Sabine Winter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:20
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
ProZ May 8, 2016

Great question. And while I don't consider ProZ a "social network" but rather a professional networking tool, it is the network that actually has made a professional impact for me and brought me some great clients. LinkedIn ranks second, Xing has had zero impact, I rarely make use of Twitter, and I don't utilize my facebook account for professional pursuits. So, ProZ wins hands down.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:20
Member (2015)
German to English
Proz May 8, 2016

I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, I have a profile on LinkedIn and Xing but I don't actively use them.

A number of clients have found me via my proz account though.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:20
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
ProZ.com May 8, 2016

Several good clients have contacted me via ProZ, and som via Translator's Café.

Nothing else, but that's all I need.

Hussein Dayow Idow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:20
Member (2016)
Somali to English
+ ...
proz doea alot for me May 9, 2016

Though most of my responsive clients come from translatos cafe but I found quite professional to use the profile of ProZ in my applications and quotes.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Where was the "none" option? May 9, 2016

I'm disappointed, Mario

Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:20
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
...positive or negative impact? May 9, 2016

In the early days of Facebook, it had a considerable negative effect on my professionalism since I ended up translating at night after wasting time during the day.
Proz was very important up to about 4 years ago - at which point the number of nuisance, low-balling emails started exceeding serious offers so much that I had to create a separate folder for them. LinkedIn I use more for networking with other translators and writers, and less to attract clients.
In the past year, though,
... See more
In the early days of Facebook, it had a considerable negative effect on my professionalism since I ended up translating at night after wasting time during the day.
Proz was very important up to about 4 years ago - at which point the number of nuisance, low-balling emails started exceeding serious offers so much that I had to create a separate folder for them. LinkedIn I use more for networking with other translators and writers, and less to attract clients.
In the past year, though, I've been rediscovering the old-fashioned word-of-mouth network- where retiring translators refer me to their their clients. So far this has worked better than any other social network I've tested.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which social network is making a professional impact for you?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search