https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/301696-poll_how_many_hours_do_you_usually_spend_online_in_a_working_day.html&phpv_redirected=1

Poll: How many hours do you usually spend online in a working day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 5, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many hours do you usually spend online in a working day?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nitin Goyal. View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
8 - 12 May 5, 2016

I suppose. I mean, it's not as if I'm sitting here with a chronometer, but as a translator in the 21st century, being online while working is what I do. It comes with the job.
Then when I finish working, I might still be online, only this time channelling the stream through my TV and watching a series or movie or instructional video... or whatever.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:25
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Virtually everything I do has an online element to it May 5, 2016

Shopping isn't great on a small island but you can order anything online.
Travel agents are a thing of the past. DIY tour operator is the way to go.
Recipes from people around the world complement my few books.
There are some great places online to identify bugs and how to banish them from my garden.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 5, 2016

I only turn off my computer at night; this means that my computer is online from 8 a.m. till 12 p.m. How many hours AM I online each day? No idea! It depends on the day and on the workflow, but usually anywhere from 4-12.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:25
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
More than I should May 5, 2016

Could have been one of the options.

This is why I make a point of getting up to do something around the house or fiddle around in the garden to get away from the computer.

I think rephrasing this question as "How many hours are you a slave to or dependent on a (an electronic) connected device?" would have been more appropriate in this day and age.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well said, sir May 5, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

Could have been one of the options.

This is why I make a point of getting up to do something around the house or fiddle around in the garden to get away from the computer.

I think rephrasing this question as "How many hours are you a slave to or dependent on a (an electronic) connected device?" would have been more appropriate in this day and age.

OR:
How many yours a day do you stare at a screen instead of...?

…driving?
…talking to your friend/spouse/kid/date in a restaurant?
…actually enjoying the scenery, the museum art or the view?

Just put it down, sir, and nobody will get hurt!

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:25
German to English
+ ...
It can't be calculated as neatly as that May 5, 2016

When I'm doing a translation, I have a number of windows open and often a couple of paper dictionaries on the side, depending. Some of the windows go to resources on my own computer. Others go to on-line resources, research I'm doing etc. However, there is a fluid movement between working exclusively on the translation (not paying attention to anything on-line) and glancing up at this or that reference, or a longer check of this or that resource. The computer might be on-line for 12 h... See more
When I'm doing a translation, I have a number of windows open and often a couple of paper dictionaries on the side, depending. Some of the windows go to resources on my own computer. Others go to on-line resources, research I'm doing etc. However, there is a fluid movement between working exclusively on the translation (not paying attention to anything on-line) and glancing up at this or that reference, or a longer check of this or that resource. The computer might be on-line for 12 hours, but the attention isn't riveted to any one spot. Maybe "fluid" is a good word.Collapse

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Agree with Mario and Julian here May 5, 2016

I spend a certain number of hours slaving over a connected device - and then I waste and/or enjoy myself a certain number of hours reading magazine articles, magazine, looking up useful and useless stuff on the Internet that usually doesn't relate to work.

And I don't dare calculate how much time I spend on either of these categories...

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other May 5, 2016

I am practically always online, but I only use the internet when I am working. When I get away from my computer(s), I tend to stay away from everything electronical just to give myself a rest and it really annoys me when I try to speak to my wife and she ist What´s upping continuously!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
That reminds me May 5, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

I am practically always online, but I only use the internet when I am working. When I get away from my computer(s), I tend to stay away from everything electronical just to give myself a rest and it really annoys me when I try to speak to my wife and she ist What´s upping continuously!

This is a good conversation piece to contemplate how we are using electronic devices for work or entertainment. Or is it the other way around, electronic devices are using us?

I have a local colleague with whom we've met for lunch and dinner at times. However, I'm reluctant to get together again because she's always answering/peering at her cellphone during meals amid conversations. Not only is this rude, but deeply sad.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
8-12 May 6, 2016

Basically I am online (connected to the Internet) when I am working.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Other May 6, 2016

As little as possible. I try to avoid the computer (and other electronic devices) when I don't have work to do.
I don't enjoy being glued to the screen and I avoid it whenever I can. I have my mobile on until around 7 pm in order not to miss any incoming emails but I'm certainly not available 24/7 and I prefer having a real life to a virtual one.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
That reminds me May 6, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

I have a local colleague with whom we've met for lunch and dinner at times. However, I'm reluctant to get together again because she's always answering/peering at her cellphone during meals amid conversations. Not only is this rude, but deeply sad.

A few years ago, I observed a young couple in a restaurant. They sat down at a table across from ours, placed their orders and got their mobile phones out immediately. After a while she started stroking his hand. No reaction. She continued and finally said something to him, so he gave a her quick distracted look and went back to staring at his device.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:25
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Full day, with many breaks May 6, 2016

My computer is on all day long, and I'm usually in front of it. However, I make several breaks all day long. I go out to pay bills, groceries, eat, etc., and at home I make food, wash clothes and dishes, watch the news, and even sleep a little bit. So, I do spend more than 10 hours "in front of the computer", but if you consider all the breaks, it would probably add up to 6 hours, and non-stop stretches of two hours, at the most.

[Edited at 2016-05-06 18:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many hours do you usually spend online in a working day?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »