https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/301645-poll_do_you_think_that_translation_memories_and_term_bases_make_your_brain_and_memory_%22lazy%22-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think that translation memories and term bases make your brain and memory "lazy"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:05
English to Italian
No May 4, 2016

you will find the same sentences sometimes, but at the end of the day you have to write the translation.
As to the "style", well when I finish, I print the source text and check my translation against it, updating the translation memory with the corrections made.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Lazy may not be the right word May 4, 2016

...but your brain certainly gets wired to the media you use. I've realized I sometimes remember where I last translated a specific term (which allows me to locate the translation easily), instead of the translation of the term itself. And I can't imagine this NOT being the result of using translation software 80% of the time over the past 15 years.
McLuhan argued many years ago that new technologies (like alphabets, printing presses, and even speech itself) exert a gravitational effect on
... See more
...but your brain certainly gets wired to the media you use. I've realized I sometimes remember where I last translated a specific term (which allows me to locate the translation easily), instead of the translation of the term itself. And I can't imagine this NOT being the result of using translation software 80% of the time over the past 15 years.
McLuhan argued many years ago that new technologies (like alphabets, printing presses, and even speech itself) exert a gravitational effect on cognition.
"The medium is the message" - and the medium molds our way of thinking and organizing knowledge.

Really interesting poll!

[Edited at 2016-05-04 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
No May 4, 2016

Definitely no. Otherwise the same question could be posed for dictionaries, glossaries, word processors, word counting and so on. One only needs a pen and a paper, right?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:05
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No May 5, 2016

... and for every innovation in technology, there will always be people who will say it's somehow bad or negative. We should be smart enough to ignore these people every time.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
... May 5, 2016

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

Definitely no. Otherwise the same question could be posed for dictionaries, glossaries, word processors, word counting and so on. One only needs a pen and a paper, right?

I agree with the "NO", but not with the second part.
Dictionaries, glossaries imply an active "research" of words, TM's and glossaries in CAT tools, suggest the words... so you basically do not have to do the effort to look up the word maybe more than once, until you simply remember it.

On the other side, CAT glossaries and TM's are built by the translator, so if this is done properly there is an important effort behind every segment and behind every element.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Well May 5, 2016

Gianluca Marras wrote:

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

I agree with the "NO", but not with the second part.
Dictionaries, glossaries imply an active "research" of words, TM's and glossaries in CAT tools, suggest the words... so you basically do not have to do the effort to look up the word maybe more than once, until you simply remember it.

On the other side, CAT glossaries and TM's are built by the translator, so if this is done properly there is an important effort behind every segment and behind every element.

They only suggest the words if you set them up to do so. You can always turn off any Auto Suggest function, and you can put the fuzzy matches to 90% or more, after which you can actively search a TM using the concordance functions, just as you would browse a dictionary.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think that translation memories and term bases make your brain and memory "lazy"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »