https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/301612-poll_how_has_your_business_been_during_the_last_90_days_compared_to_your_average.html&phpv_redirected=1

Poll: How has your business been during the last 90 days compared to your average?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 3, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How has your business been during the last 90 days compared to your average?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
In Spain May 3, 2016

The first quarter this year was average to good, which from my point of view means that I was able to handle all the work offered to me without having to reject any offers or farm work out to translator colleagues. I suppose I was in the Goldilocks zone. However, the past month has been really hectic, and I've had to refuse three or four interesting jobs in the past couple of weeks, something I really don't like doing. I've even had to recruit a colleague to help with some of my revision work as... See more
The first quarter this year was average to good, which from my point of view means that I was able to handle all the work offered to me without having to reject any offers or farm work out to translator colleagues. I suppose I was in the Goldilocks zone. However, the past month has been really hectic, and I've had to refuse three or four interesting jobs in the past couple of weeks, something I really don't like doing. I've even had to recruit a colleague to help with some of my revision work as well.

It's as if a large number of former and potential clients in Spain were simply idling in the first quarter and now everyone has suddenly come out of hibernation and running about like headless chickens squawking "urgent, urgent"... And being really disappointed when finding out their proposed deadlines were far removed from reality.

[Edited at 2016-05-03 08:32 GMT]
Collapse

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:35
Portuguese to English
More busy???? busier than usual..... May 3, 2016

Lots of work but no pay yet.....

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 3, 2016

If I compare to last year, which was extremely busy with no weekends for months and long hours every day, it has been less busy. So, this means that this year I have dropped back to normal…

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Business as usual May 3, 2016

Didn't notice any change

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:35
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dropped back to normal May 3, 2016

Like Teresa.

Last year I went without a break for months on end. One of my biggest clients was in the organization where I used to work (not the regular translation service). I was surprised that she hadn't contacted me until I recently saw her name on the list of new retirees!

The year before that, the same thing happened. I was very busy until another person in the organization retired.

I need to start hanging out with a younger crowd.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
It's an outrage May 3, 2016

An anonymous poll using the words "business" and "average"? How dare they!

Obviously no god-fearing translator would have even a vague idea of how busy they've been recently.

Off with their heads.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Anonymous May 3, 2016

Chris S wrote:

An anonymous poll using the words "business" and "average"? How dare they!

Obviously no god-fearing translator would have even a vague idea of how busy they've been recently.

Off with their heads.

This is the second poll by "anonymous" this week. Don't we have enough "non-nameless" polls that truly deserve to be featured?

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Super busy May 3, 2016

I am much busier than usual, which is very exciting! I must remember to get out of the house once in a while.

On another note, I'm not surprised that people post polls anonymously when the respondents get so angry about the phrasing of the questions (I've noticed this a lot recently). The ProZ staff sometimes amend/rephrase the submitted questions too, so who knows what the original one said!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
The same May 3, 2016

My "business" is more or less the same with maybe a slight uptake during the past two weeks.

[I had posted a detailed OT comment about the recent harshness on this board re anonymous poll posting but I realise that this is not appreciated by the powers that be so I deleted it.]

Therefore:

Edited to delete the original post.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-05-03 16:39 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Poll clues May 3, 2016

My business suffers greatly because I have to tiptoe around the feelings of the anonymous pollsters.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:35
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Despite the crisis... May 3, 2016

Despite the severe economic crisis in my country, so far I haven't noticed any change (not yet, but I'm being cautious).

[Edited at 2016-05-03 17:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How has your business been during the last 90 days compared to your average?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »