Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever delivered a translation in the wrong language?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 30, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever delivered a translation in the wrong language?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rosa Enciso. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:40
German to English
+ ...
No Apr 30, 2016

I only translate into one language, my native language, so this is not possible!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here! Apr 30, 2016

Mary Worby wrote:

I only translate into one language, my native language, so this is not possible!

Augusta Habas
Augusta Habas
France
Local time: 09:40
Italian to French
+ ...
Only native Apr 30, 2016

Same thing, I only translate into French, that's why I said no, but then I thought that last week I did deliver the file in the wrong language: I delivered the source file instead of the target one

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 14:40
English to Vietnamese
No, never Apr 30, 2016

I only translate from English into Vietnamese.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You're right! Apr 30, 2016

Augusta Habas wrote:

Same thing, I only translate into French, that's why I said no, but then I thought that last week I did deliver the file in the wrong language: I delivered the source file instead of the target one

It also happened to me once or twice: delivering the source file instead of the target...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
No Apr 30, 2016

Mary Worby wrote:

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Wrong source language Apr 30, 2016

Like others here, I've never delivered a translation in the wrong language because I translate only into English, my native tongue.
However, PMs occasionally send me source documents in the wrong language - Portuguese or Catalan, for example - presumably because they think it's Spanish. Needless to say, I don't attempt to translate such documents!

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:40
Korean to German
+ ...
Other Apr 30, 2016

A PM once expected me to deliver in another language.

He sent an excel file which had columns for about 10 different languages in it. Source was English so I searched the column for German, did my translation, returned it to the client.

Got an email back a couple of hours later "Uhm, I noticed you did the German translation even though you were supposed to do the Korean translation. Someone else was in charge of the German translation."

So I just pointed ou
... See more
A PM once expected me to deliver in another language.

He sent an excel file which had columns for about 10 different languages in it. Source was English so I searched the column for German, did my translation, returned it to the client.

Got an email back a couple of hours later "Uhm, I noticed you did the German translation even though you were supposed to do the Korean translation. Someone else was in charge of the German translation."

So I just pointed out that I've never ever translated into Korean before, neither for this company (we've been working together for the past 5 years), nor for anyone else and that even though the company's PMs had asked me several times, I had said no every single time.

Didn't hear back from the PM, invoiced the job at the end of the month, received my money and it was never mentioned again.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Same here Apr 30, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Mary Worby wrote:

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:40
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but I've delivered the wrong file Apr 30, 2016

More than once I've delivered a draft, thinking it was my final translation. Now I always check. I make a note of the most recent change I made, then I prepare my submission, attach/upload the file, open it, check to make sure it contains the change.

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same here, as well! Apr 30, 2016

Mary Worby wrote:

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Yes, I did, Apr 30, 2016

for a direct client who sometimes wants their internal documents in French, sometimes in English. Fortunately, it was not long, 1-2 pages.

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Not exactly Apr 30, 2016

I have never delivered a translation in the wrong language, but what I have done is received a translation for ES>EN instead of PT>EN and did the translation (PT and ES are quite similar and the text was perfectly understandable, no false cognates or technical words) when I should have sent it back for reallocation, as ES>EN is not one of my language pairs.

[Edited at 2016-04-30 15:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever delivered a translation in the wrong language?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »