Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever delivered a translation in the wrong language?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nope Apr 30, 2016

That I've delivered the wrong file, a Word file with track changes that I accepted but didn't properly clean, on occasion, well, mea culpa, I've done that.

Delivering a translation in the wrong language? Under what circumstances? Fawlty Towers hour now? Is Mr. Bean involved somehow? Perhaps Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear's former host) has something snarky to say about this.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:58
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 30, 2016

I only translate into one language. So, one day, when someone asked me to translate a document from Russian, I assumed they wanted it in English. Upon delivery they were very angry because they were expecting it in German (not one of my working languages). Needless to say, I quickly learned my lesson never to make assumptions. Now I always double check the most basic details before I start work.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 12:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but in a social context... Apr 30, 2016

... I have frequently switched into the wrong language when helping friends to understand each other. One thing I tend to do is to paraphrase into simpler, easier to understand English or Spanish instead of actually translating it. It's clear I'm not a trained interpreter!

And on one notable occasion, over a business dinner, I was interpreting on behalf of a client for their English speaking visitors, the visitors moved into French to make some "internal" comments and I carried on t
... See more
... I have frequently switched into the wrong language when helping friends to understand each other. One thing I tend to do is to paraphrase into simpler, easier to understand English or Spanish instead of actually translating it. It's clear I'm not a trained interpreter!

And on one notable occasion, over a business dinner, I was interpreting on behalf of a client for their English speaking visitors, the visitors moved into French to make some "internal" comments and I carried on translating. I didn't realise they had switched language until I saw the horror on their faces. Not professional of course on my part - I should have warned them before continuing, but they shouldn't have assumed I wouldn't speak French either. Pas devant les enfants?
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
More than once Apr 30, 2016

Although I only translate in one pair, I have received, more than once, a partially-translated document I was supposed to translate the second half of, but instead I translated the first half back to the original. My distraction, of course, for not reading the instructions properly.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever delivered a translation in the wrong language?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »