Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you usually suffer from migraines as a result of your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 26, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually suffer from migraines as a result of your work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mohammed Fahim. View the poll results »

Pavel Mondschein
Pavel Mondschein  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:49
English to Czech
+ ...
The opposite Apr 26, 2016

I usually have a migraine when I have nothing to do for a day or two. Odd, but true

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
well no! Apr 26, 2016

I did have my first ever migraine as a result of too much pressure while working in an agency for a boss who seemed to think I shouldn't ever go home unless the work was finished and never mind that he only paid me a pittance and that I had small children.

My doctor suggested making some lifestyle changes especially getting back into yoga (which I had neglected after the birth of my daughter) and gave me a homeopathic foundation treatment.

I went back to see her a few
... See more
I did have my first ever migraine as a result of too much pressure while working in an agency for a boss who seemed to think I shouldn't ever go home unless the work was finished and never mind that he only paid me a pittance and that I had small children.

My doctor suggested making some lifestyle changes especially getting back into yoga (which I had neglected after the birth of my daughter) and gave me a homeopathic foundation treatment.

I went back to see her a few years later for another migraine, this time prompted by a rift in the organisation I volunteer for and she remarked that it was amazing that I hadn't had any other episodes in between. I explained that I had done exactly what she had advised. She did a double take and exclaimed that none of her other patients had ever bothered to do what she suggested. More fool them, I say.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:49
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Apr 26, 2016

If you suffer from migraines as a result of your work, you're probably doing something wrong.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Usually? No! Apr 26, 2016

Do you really mean a migraine? Or do you mean a mere headache? Just about everyone suffer from headaches, but migraine is not just a bad headache. Let’s define migraine: migraine is an extremely debilitating set of neurological symptoms that usually includes a severe recurring intense throbbing pain on one side of the head, attacks that last several hours or even days and are often accompanied by one or more of the following: visual disturbances, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, extreme sensitivit... See more
Do you really mean a migraine? Or do you mean a mere headache? Just about everyone suffer from headaches, but migraine is not just a bad headache. Let’s define migraine: migraine is an extremely debilitating set of neurological symptoms that usually includes a severe recurring intense throbbing pain on one side of the head, attacks that last several hours or even days and are often accompanied by one or more of the following: visual disturbances, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, extreme sensitivity to sound, light (sometimes preceded by an aura), touch and smell, and tingling or numbness in the extremities or face. Of course, everyone is different, and symptoms may vary from person to person.

I have been suffering from ocular migraines (also called ophthalmic or retinal migraines) for some years. It’s a rare problem that cause vision loss or blindness of one eye lasting less than an hour, along with or following a migraine headache. Though they can be frightening, ocular migraines typically are harmless.

This has nothing to do with work or translation!
Collapse

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
No/Other Apr 26, 2016

I do suffer from migraines and sometimes a migraine attack can make it impossible to work (vomiting, failing vision, blinding headache, etc.), but that's the only way those two are linked.

In my experience, migraine attacks have other triggers than work itself.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:49
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Apr 26, 2016

I suffer from trigeminal neuralgia which is quite chronically debilitating, too. You have my sympathies, Teresa.

One thing you can't stand at all when TN occurs is bright lights. Even indoor lighting which includes computer screens can be a torture to look at, let alone zebra crossings on a fine day. And, medication for TN - Tegretol - is absolutely horrendous if the dose is wrong and you take too much.

... See more
I suffer from trigeminal neuralgia which is quite chronically debilitating, too. You have my sympathies, Teresa.

One thing you can't stand at all when TN occurs is bright lights. Even indoor lighting which includes computer screens can be a torture to look at, let alone zebra crossings on a fine day. And, medication for TN - Tegretol - is absolutely horrendous if the dose is wrong and you take too much.

If I feel symptoms coming along, I just lie down and rest with the shades drawn for a while. Fortunately, I haven't had a bad bout for a long time, touch wood.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Touch wood! Apr 26, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

If I feel symptoms coming along, I just lie down and rest with the shades drawn for a while. Fortunately, I haven't had a bad bout for a long time, touch wood.

I haven’t had one for a while too, but last year I had several episodes within a single week, which had never happened before. My eldest granddaughter (she is 20) suffers from another form of migraine (much more debilitating than mine: she is an excellent student and last year on account of ill health was obliged to abandon her university course for a year) apparently triggered by stress and after having gone through several unsuccessful therapies she is now taking an antiepileptic drug like Tegretol…

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Stress headaches Apr 26, 2016

I used to get regular stress headaches in my previous jobs. Becoming a freelancer has actually helped this because I can set my own hours and take breaks when I need them. A migraine is something very different, though - much more than just a bad headache. My husband suffers from them and has to take regular medication to keep them at bay.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
No, but... Apr 26, 2016

Not migraines, but back ache and widening posterior, yes.

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:49
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No .... Apr 26, 2016

I do suffer from irritating dry eyes though.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't know Apr 26, 2016

My migraines started a little under ten years ago - when I was in my mid to late forties - and I have no idea if there is any relation between long hours at the computer screen translating and the migraines. Nobody has offered me any suggestion about the cause of the migraines, although I am lucky enough to respond quickly to medication, and am only put out of action briefly, largely because of vision distortion.

I also suffered from migraines briefly in my late teens, of the same
... See more
My migraines started a little under ten years ago - when I was in my mid to late forties - and I have no idea if there is any relation between long hours at the computer screen translating and the migraines. Nobody has offered me any suggestion about the cause of the migraines, although I am lucky enough to respond quickly to medication, and am only put out of action briefly, largely because of vision distortion.

I also suffered from migraines briefly in my late teens, of the same type, but they went untreated and were therefore more debilitating. No computer screens then though, although I was always a hard worker!
Collapse

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:49
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes Apr 26, 2016

I first noticed this twenty years ago when I was working in IT, equally spending most of the day in front of a screen. It's a bad/necessary habit I'm afraid, and I find it really hard to break lose from screens in general and do something else. I don't think it's particularly related to translation though, just that we spend a lot of time in front of computer screens.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Being over-stressed is the cause of mine Apr 26, 2016

I don't normally let work get me that way - I manage things carefully, and hard work alone never brings on a migraine. But at times like the present, I am very much at risk: first-ever long-haul holiday to Mexico to arrange, 2015 accounts to prepare with a new accountant who's saying we'll have thousands in fines to pay, and various other problems...

Only non-sufferers confuse headaches and migraines. In my thirties, I terrified myself by "watching myself" slur incoherent rubbish to
... See more
I don't normally let work get me that way - I manage things carefully, and hard work alone never brings on a migraine. But at times like the present, I am very much at risk: first-ever long-haul holiday to Mexico to arrange, 2015 accounts to prepare with a new accountant who's saying we'll have thousands in fines to pay, and various other problems...

Only non-sufferers confuse headaches and migraines. In my thirties, I terrified myself by "watching myself" slur incoherent rubbish to people and stagger out onto a main road, causing all the traffic to screech to a halt. I came off the combined pill there and then and have fortunately never had another attack anything like that bad. The headache itself varies from non-existent to bad. But the worst non-migraine headache is just that - a headache, that can be really painful. While a migraine is downright debilitating.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:49
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Never associated with translation... Apr 26, 2016

I do have the early symptoms of migrains, but it's associated with stress, not translation or work.
I had worse crises when I was younger, and didn't know what to do. There is no effective medicament against it once it starts... or at least I though so. Until I talked to other people who used to have them regularly, and I found out what the problem and the solution are, at least in my case.
A friend (I consider him an angel now) told me: "As soon as your eyes start blurring, the fi
... See more
I do have the early symptoms of migrains, but it's associated with stress, not translation or work.
I had worse crises when I was younger, and didn't know what to do. There is no effective medicament against it once it starts... or at least I though so. Until I talked to other people who used to have them regularly, and I found out what the problem and the solution are, at least in my case.
A friend (I consider him an angel now) told me: "As soon as your eyes start blurring, the first symptom, drink A LOT of water, non-stop. It will go away before you throw up or have a headache."
GENIUS! Every time the first symptoms appear now, I drink two liters of water in a row, within 15 minutes. And guess what? It goes away in another 15 minutes. No headache, no throwing-up, no dizziness after. Water is the miracle cure!
Try it, if you have migrains, and you'll get rid of it. No doctors, no medicament required.
Also: drink a lot of water during the whole day. It's a gift of God.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually suffer from migraines as a result of your work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »