Poll: What's the best professional decision you've ever made?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 24, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What's the best professional decision you've ever made?".

View the poll results »

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:20
English to Italian
to buy a CAT tool Apr 24, 2016

Why I chose "to buy a CAT tool"

To become a freelancer - I had a different job and I started my career in this field as a freelancer (not really a choice)
To join ProZ.com - Well Proz.com changed my approach to several things, my knowledge and my relationships but joining and paying for a membership DID NOT "change my life"
To specialize in a field - again, I started working in the same field I work now... I cannot say I chose
To buy a CAT tool - Definitely yes, it
... See more
Why I chose "to buy a CAT tool"

To become a freelancer - I had a different job and I started my career in this field as a freelancer (not really a choice)
To join ProZ.com - Well Proz.com changed my approach to several things, my knowledge and my relationships but joining and paying for a membership DID NOT "change my life"
To specialize in a field - again, I started working in the same field I work now... I cannot say I chose
To buy a CAT tool - Definitely yes, it reduced my effort, I save time and produce more and with better quality
To search for direct clients - I started (by chance) with direct clients
To get an accountant/lawyer - In Italy you must have an accountant (so not a choice)

[Edited at 2016-04-25 05:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-25 05:59 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:20
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (Checking/Proofreading/Reviewing) Apr 24, 2016

I have an arrangement with a trusted colleague (we worked in-house together for 20 years) where we check/proofread/review each other.

P.S. Quality-wise, it's the BEST professional decision I've ever made...

SteveMcD
SteveMcD  Identity Verified
German to English
Accountant Apr 24, 2016

I've been a freelancer since 1990 (translation is just one of several jobs) and never liked, or was any good at bookkeeping. Hiring an accountant has freed up loads of time and reduced my tax filing stress to zero. She sends friendly reminders of what I need to do, suggests strategies for deductible expenses and saves me far more than what I pay her.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Where's the “A combination of the above”? Apr 24, 2016

I've made several decisions that have enhanced and improved my professional life. Now, what is a professional decision? Answering the phone whenever it rings or let my voicemail screen it?

What is an unprofessional decision? Do we really think through how we phrase our questions?

This and other polls remind me of those IQ-lowering quiz questions such as What superhero are you? that populate the Internet.

But I'll play along for a minute: one
... See more
I've made several decisions that have enhanced and improved my professional life. Now, what is a professional decision? Answering the phone whenever it rings or let my voicemail screen it?

What is an unprofessional decision? Do we really think through how we phrase our questions?

This and other polls remind me of those IQ-lowering quiz questions such as What superhero are you? that populate the Internet.

But I'll play along for a minute: one of the best professional decisions I've ever made was to divorce my wife.

I bet none of you expected that!

Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
To become a freelancer Apr 24, 2016

everything else was a result of the first decision

Sorry, but I had to laugh at the option for ProZ!

It was a good decision, but the best professional decision????

Added:

And to be perfectly honest, I recon that there are so many interesting polls submitted by translators with names (that are possibly not considered - me included) that I would find it a good idea for ProZ to get rid of all anonymous polls!!

[Edited at 2016-04-25 07:46 GM
... See more
everything else was a result of the first decision

Sorry, but I had to laugh at the option for ProZ!

It was a good decision, but the best professional decision????

Added:

And to be perfectly honest, I recon that there are so many interesting polls submitted by translators with names (that are possibly not considered - me included) that I would find it a good idea for ProZ to get rid of all anonymous polls!!

[Edited at 2016-04-25 07:46 GMT]
Collapse

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:20
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
To become a freelance translator Apr 25, 2016

I worked as an EFL/ESL teacher for 20 years and I was very happy then, but I am always looking for different things in life and I wanted to restart (I like experiencing new things) and translation/interpretation would bring mobility and now I am sure that it was my second best professional decision. Joining Proz was definitely a wise decision and, at least in my case, the world has become small to me (without modesty). My best regular clients around the world were acquired on Proz.com.
I c
... See more
I worked as an EFL/ESL teacher for 20 years and I was very happy then, but I am always looking for different things in life and I wanted to restart (I like experiencing new things) and translation/interpretation would bring mobility and now I am sure that it was my second best professional decision. Joining Proz was definitely a wise decision and, at least in my case, the world has become small to me (without modesty). My best regular clients around the world were acquired on Proz.com.
I could write for hours about all the benefits I have had since 2011, of course, I also have worked hard in order to find or to be found and then keep those valuable/valued clients.
Thank you Proz Team.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - To buy a computer Apr 25, 2016

Laugh, if you will. I was among the early translators who bought word processing software for use in their home office. I bought my first Wang system in 1983 and my first PC in 1991.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
to change my accountant to the current one Apr 25, 2016

almost 9 years ago. She is prompt, professional, well-informed, punctual and since then I have no taxation problems (except high taxes... and always receive a reminder before they are due.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:20
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Becoming a freelancer Apr 25, 2016

I have made a lot of wrong decisions in my life. Not because they were undue, but wrong moves, considering I had a second much better choice.

When I was dismissed from my last job in 2013, though, I looked for a new job, and all opportunities I had were to earn half as much as before. That's when I decided to invest in my freelance career, till then always considered as an "extra".

Getting rid of bosses, working hours, tax discounts in my payment and the incompetence a
... See more
I have made a lot of wrong decisions in my life. Not because they were undue, but wrong moves, considering I had a second much better choice.

When I was dismissed from my last job in 2013, though, I looked for a new job, and all opportunities I had were to earn half as much as before. That's when I decided to invest in my freelance career, till then always considered as an "extra".

Getting rid of bosses, working hours, tax discounts in my payment and the incompetence and poor attitudes of colleagues was doubtlessly the best decision I have ever made in my professional life. I should have done it 20 years earlier! In fact, I should never have worked as an employee for any company whatsoever. I would be rich by now, and my kids would be a lot happier.

[Edited at 2016-04-25 17:53 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What's the best professional decision you've ever made?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »