https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/301264-poll_how_many_projects_did_you_complete_last_year.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many projects did you complete last year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Apr 23, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many projects did you complete last year?".

This poll was originally submitted by Dmitrie Highduke. View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:34
German to English
+ ...
Other Apr 23, 2016

I have no idea, I didn't count!

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Apr 23, 2016

Have no idea and please define what a 'project' is? This might be anything over 50,000 source characters to me. Remember that I work from Japanese to English.

[Edited at 2016-04-24 02:43 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other (is project the same as job?) Apr 23, 2016

Last year, I completed 159 jobs (from job 7585 on the 5th January until job 7744 on the 18th December) ranging from 1,555 to 271,875 words...

[Edited at 2016-04-23 09:14 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Apr 23, 2016

I'm afraid I haven't the foggiest. I do things on a need-to-know basis and I have no idea why I would need to know this kind of information. I suppose I could trawl through all my folders for 2015 and find out, if I really wanted to.

Here's a question "right back at ya". Who (TF) wants to know?

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
< 100 Apr 23, 2016

But most of them were over 10,000 words and several were 50,000 words. In yesterday's poll I voted that my ideal project size is 14,000 to 20,000, which is what I'm most used to.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
< 100 Apr 23, 2016

But I did a lot of work on two novels, neither of which I completed during the year, so as others have implied, number of jobs done bears little relation to amount of work done.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
101-300 Apr 23, 2016

can't say the exact number... but about 200-240

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
170 Apr 23, 2016

170 jobs, to be precise. I can find out easily because I number my invoices with the year, followed by my own reference number (e.g. 2015/170).
However, as others have said, the size of these jobs varied from tiny to huge, so the actual number of jobs isn't especially meaningful.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:34
Russian to English
Utterly pointless question Apr 23, 2016

May as well ask what our favourite colour is, frankly

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:04
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Don't know Apr 23, 2016

I only count the dollars (or the rupees).

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
First, define "project" Apr 23, 2016

One client sends texts - often of less than 200 words - several times a week, sometimes several times a day. Then there was the book, for editing rather than translating but still a long job. Is each one classed equally as a project? Seems a bit unscientific and of little use statistically.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Apr 23, 2016

Frankly, I don't know. Counting my invoices doesn't help either, because some of my clients prefer bi-monthly or monthly invoices regardless of how many jobs they've sent me during that period.

Even if I counted all files, would it be fair/accurate to include all those 3 - 7 words' "projects"? I don't think so.

[Edited at 2016-04-23 17:11 GMT]

Hussein Dayow Idow
Hussein Dayow Idow  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:34
Somali to English
+ ...
<100 Apr 23, 2016

Just knew into this Online translation but on my Onsite translation of Somali to English I did more. I will answer this question next year.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
No idea Apr 23, 2016

No idea. I don't count them. They vary from a few words to thousands and I bill my clients for all their different translations at the end of the month, not separately. An invoice may contain one translation or twenty.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many projects did you complete last year?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »