Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many projects did you complete last year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:38
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too Apr 23, 2016

Mary Worby wrote:

I have no idea, I didn't count!

I call them jobs. Some are very tiny, just a couple of lines, while others are far larger.
Some texts are parts of ongoing 'stories', or they are interconnected, so maybe together they would add up to projects, but it really depends what you mean by jobs.

I issued 72 invoices during 2015, but most of those had more than one job, and some would have had a dozen or so.

How many slices of bread did you eat last year?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
No freaking idea Apr 23, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

Have no idea and please define what a 'project' is? This might be anything over 50,000 source characters to me. Remember that I work from Japanese to English.

[Edited at 2016-04-23 12:41 GMT]

Some translators love numbers and keep tabs and statistics on every little thing: how many projects they did last week, what percentage of client retention they achieved last quarter, whether they depleted their advertising budget or not, how many business cards were collected last conference, etc.

Life is too short; just sit down and translate while sipping some coffee/wine/beer and listening to your favorite songs.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:38
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Projects or jobs Apr 23, 2016

I delivered 1,315 different jobs in 2015 (with 1,192 invoices issued). My CAT tool calls each one a "project," but I'm not sure if this is an accurate definition. In translation context, I understand "project" as a group of jobs which are part of a same scope and for a same end client. Some projects have a single job (at least for me), some have a few, and others are ongoing (monthly/weekly) projects.

But of course I have this number precisely recorded. Otherwise, how could I charge
... See more
I delivered 1,315 different jobs in 2015 (with 1,192 invoices issued). My CAT tool calls each one a "project," but I'm not sure if this is an accurate definition. In translation context, I understand "project" as a group of jobs which are part of a same scope and for a same end client. Some projects have a single job (at least for me), some have a few, and others are ongoing (monthly/weekly) projects.

But of course I have this number precisely recorded. Otherwise, how could I charge for them and/or control my payments?
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I provide a service, not kilos of groceries Apr 23, 2016

Luiz Barucke wrote:

But of course I have this number precisely recorded. Otherwise, how could I charge for them and/or control my payments?

I have each job/invoiceable item recorded.

I deliver four or five some days, and others take a couple of weeks.

They are all different, and they are not numbered serially.
I COULD check the number of lines on my worksheets, but it is a meaningless exercise.

I charge a minimum rate for some jobs, some I charge for by the hour. Some clients like the words counted and Trados reductions. Others like fees rounded to the nearest DKK 25 or so and don't care a hoot about Trados.

I keep track of that kind of thing, but I don't have a head for figures, and if they don't make any difference anyway, I spend my time and energy on other things. My accountant knows how much I earned each month - I don't really know that myself!

I was extremely busy last year - the answer to how many projects I completed is:
Plenty. All the projects I took on, but more than I really wanted. Enough to keep my clients happy...

Like my grandmother's answer to how old she was:
"As old as my tongue and somewhat older than my teeth!"

[Edited at 2016-04-23 23:22 GMT]

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
More than 100, less than 200 Apr 24, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

"As old as my tongue and somewhat older than my teeth!"

He, he. Wise grandmother!

Statistics are not my forte and like with many of us, the size of my jobs/projects varies from under ten words to tens of thousands.

A look at the number of invoices issued suggests that they must have covered more then 100 jobs but how many more, I wouldn't know, or I would have to look into each and everyone of them and count. Which I will not do because, as others have said, life's too short.

The only statistic I am interested in for any given year is whether I managed to increase my Euro/word ratio. In that regard, last year was successful and this year will be even more so.

[Bearbeitet am 2016-04-24 03:05 GMT]

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:08
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
No exact Idea! Apr 24, 2016

I do very small jobs to big jobs . I am not sure what should count in it?

Are all jobs (little and big) are called projects or the job having specific word counting?

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Bad bad ranges (again) Apr 24, 2016

Even when a question is reasonable, something goes wrong with it. The obvious ranges should be 0-50, 50-100, 100-150... or something like that.
Has the asker thought that 300 projects a year, taking Sundays and holidays off, means about one new project EVERY BUSINESS DAY? Of course not.

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
300+ jobs per year is possible Apr 24, 2016

Mario Freitas

...300 projects a year, taking Sundays and holidays off, means about one new project EVERY BUSINESS DAY...

That's an entirely possible scenario. I have one client who regularly sends me up to five very small jobs on a given day, all made up as Studio Projects, all individually PO-ed and later invoiced in a collective invoice (yes, that's a nuisance).

I fail to see the attraction, but obviously we have colleagues out there who take on 700+ jobs per year, presumably all rather minor ones.

Personally, I prefer a healthy mixture: bigger jobs (10.000+ words) that will keep me occupied for up to several weeks and will result in a nice payday, interspersed with smaller or even tiny ones, to keep my mind from getting bored. And I am easily bored...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Katrin Apr 25, 2016

Katrin Bosse wrote:

Mario Freitas

...300 projects a year, taking Sundays and holidays off, means about one new project EVERY BUSINESS DAY...

That's an entirely possible scenario. I have one client who regularly sends me up to five very small jobs on a given day, all made up as Studio Projects, all individually PO-ed and later invoiced in a collective invoice (yes, that's a nuisance).

Ok, if you consider a small text as a "Project". Some colleagues have questioned below what can be considered a "project" or not. I think there should be a boundary. Plus, you'll always join a real project in which you will work for several days, during which you will likely not take many new projects. 300 projects a year is nonsense.

Nevertheless, even considering all jobs as projects, 1 per day is surely something rare and would doubtlessly be an infimous minority. Therefore, the ranges, for statistical purposes, are null.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many projects did you complete last year?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »